Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banks, Economy, Housing Thread - BOOM 2.0

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    You are guilty of not telling the whole truth.

    Which is "Public Servant......goes to the WRC .....and fails in his appeal."

    It is possible that, while his ability to turn up on time is poor, his performance in other aspects of the job are excellent.

    Remember, his failure to get an increment in a particular year is an ongoing punishment. He will be at the loss of that increment for every subsequent year until he reaches the top of his scale.

    According to here there are 14 points on the Executive Officer scale so that's 14 times a grand and a half or so of a loss.
    Guilty of not repeating the entirity of the article, just linking it? Mea culpa I guess... Plus the decision of the WRC wasn't the issue I was raising, it was the audacity of the guy for it to get that far despite his record.

    While I don't buy into the strict 9-5 thing & instill more of a give & take policy with those that work for me, certain organisations do & if you're not adhering to the rules of the employer on an ongoing basis then it sets an incredibly bad precedent for others within an organisation & should be fired IMO.

    Comment


      He definitely had a hard neck bringing his appeal.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Piquet View Post
        The headline is guilty of not telling the whole truth.

        Which is "Public Servant......goes to the WRC .....and fails in his appeal."

        It is possible that, while his ability to turn up on time is poor, his performance in other aspects of the job are excellent.

        Remember, his failure to get an increment in a particular year is an ongoing punishment. He will be at the loss of that increment for every subsequent year until he reaches the top of his scale.

        According to here there are 14 points on the Executive Officer scale so that's 14 times a grand and a half or so of a loss.
        I think you are been very kind. It is not acceptable in such a work place to allow someone to operate like that - what example is a manager giving if he awards increments for that employee. It may well have been the other aspects of the job which stopped him being sacked.
        Last edited by The Last Stand; 9th-June-2018, 14:12.

        Comment


          Banks, Economy, Housing Thread - BOOM 2.0

          Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
          Now I know that there are oil worries, and that the € v $ has an effect, but Irish banks are absolutely plummeting in the last few months. A look at the ISEQ Financial (http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=%5EIFIN ) and you can see they are off by nearly 40% of their Feb 07 high.

          Some of them are on very, very low p/e ratios.

          Anyone have any views on why they are plummeting?
          This is Fitzy’s original post from 2007. No doubt Anglo was in his mind.

          This week Drumm got convicted of conspiracy to defraud.

          I’m generally a forgiving guy but not in the case of Anglo and its scandalous internal culture of deceit, arrogance and disdain for its victims. I’m bitter, but not because I lost my job in the construction industry in 2008 (I was one of the lucky ones who was back in employment in 2009). I’m bitter for the tens of thousands who suffered from career-ending job losses, for the house buyers people who got screwed with negative equity, and for a lot of genuine business people who lost their livelihoods. And, not to mention the permanent tax increases that a lot of us are paying.

          I’m surprised as to how little publicity and discussion the Drumm verdict got. Understandable perhaps, but I certainly noted it and punched the air when I saw it.

          Anglo - as far as I’m concerned the entire board and management were treasonous bastards of the lowest order. *

          A bit of closure at least this week, if only a little.

          *Apologies to the forum mods if this is over the top. Needs to be said imo.
          Last edited by blackwarrior; 10th-June-2018, 11:04.
          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

          Comment


            It was good to see him go down but it took way, way too long. Also Seanie boy not seeing a cell was embarrassing.

            The irony is that Ireland today is probably akin to Ireland in 2003. There is, imho, a fair bit to go on this property bull run in Ireland and then it will crash again.

            I don't think any lessons have been leaned at all.
            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

            Comment


              Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
              I think you are been very kind. It is not acceptable in such a work place to allow someone to operate like that - what example is a manager giving if he awards increments for that employee. It may well have been the other aspects of the job which stopped him being sacked.

              They promoted him in 2016, so it clearly wasn't too much of an issue for them.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

              "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


              "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

              Comment


                Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                It was good to see him go down but it took way, way too long. Also Seanie boy not seeing a cell was embarrassing.

                The irony is that Ireland today is probably akin to Ireland in 2003. There is, imho, a fair bit to go on this property bull run in Ireland and then it will crash again.

                I don't think any lessons have been leaned at all.
                Is the credit available to extend it much further?
                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

                "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


                "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                  Is the credit available to extend it much further?
                  I understand that there has been a bit of a jump this year. The difference between now and the noughties is that there are macro-prudential rules in place which are putting the brakes on what people can borrow. The central bank also has other tools at its disposal which it can use to slow down lending.

                  The issue is whether there is political pressure on the central bank not to use these rules. Pascal is quite prudent but Leo (like Bertie) is a populist so there are worries there. However, the ECB also has tools available to step in if bank lending becomes a risk.

                  I would also expect that as supply comes on stream, price increases should normalise. The problem in Ireland is that it is expensive to build - land and labour costs in particular.

                  Will banks learn from past mistakes? One would hope but I would not put have much confidence in this.

                  Will politicians learn? No - unless the electorate recognises the need for prudent policies.

                  Are there tools available to central banks that were not available then? Thankfully yes and the ECB can provide a backstop.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
                    This is Fitzy’s original post from 2007. No doubt Anglo was in his mind.

                    This week Drumm got convicted of conspiracy to defraud.

                    I’m generally a forgiving guy but not in the case of Anglo and its scandalous internal culture of deceit, arrogance and disdain for its victims. I’m bitter, but not because I lost my job in the construction industry in 2008 (I was one of the lucky ones who was back in employment in 2009). I’m bitter for the tens of thousands who suffered from career-ending job losses, for the house buyers people who got screwed with negative equity, and for a lot of genuine business people who lost their livelihoods. And, not to mention the permanent tax increases that a lot of us are paying.

                    I’m surprised as to how little publicity and discussion the Drumm verdict got. Understandable perhaps, but I certainly noted it and punched the air when I saw it.

                    Anglo - as far as I’m concerned the entire board and management were treasonous bastards of the lowest order. *

                    A bit of closure at least this week, if only a little.

                    *Apologies to the forum mods if this is over the top. Needs to be said imo.
                    What I cannot get my head around is his defence that he was "donning the green jersey"

                    I mean WTF what kind of defence is that??
                    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by McCloud View Post
                      What I cannot get my head around is his defence that he was "donning the green jersey"

                      I mean WTF what kind of defence is that??
                      It means his solicitor has a neck like a jockey's bollix
                      When things go wrong, blame McGahan

                      Comment


                        6 years for David Drumm
                        "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
                          6 years for David Drumm
                          Gotta say, I'm surprised he got so much.

                          Comment


                            Did he get credit for the time he was inside in the US?

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                              Did he get credit for the time he was inside in the US?
                              Yes
                              "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by McCloud View Post
                                What I cannot get my head around is his defence that he was "donning the green jersey"

                                I mean WTF what kind of defence is that??

                                It really is a Bertie Ahern style phrase after a few pints of Bass.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X