Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After Seagate it's been a bad day for job losses
    <DIV =story ns=""><?:namespace prefix = rte ns = "urn:rte-search" /><rte:>

The Cork-based company Tyco Safety Products is to let go 320 people over the next 12 months.

The company confirmed this morning that its manufacturing division at its site in Bishopstown in Cork is to close.

Tyco assembles electronic anti-theft tags attached to merchandise in stores.
    <DIV id=story_island>
    <DIV =storyIslandTitle>Advertisement</DIV></DIV>

Last month the company said it would conduct a worldwide review and was thought to be planning to move its operations to a location where the work can be done for less cost.
    </rte:></DIV>
    The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

The country has outpriced itself in nearly everything at this stage. There is much pain ahead.

Comment

A great time to give pay rises in the national pay deal then, isn't it?

Honeslty, you couldn't make it up.
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73

Start as you mean to go on. Sure the wealth creators in society will pay for it through hidden taxes.
          My computer thinks I'm gay
          What's the difference anyway
          When all the people do all day
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

was talking to a friend who works in revenue and the 11 month pay freeze is a bit of a con. they will still get their annual review this month and the concurrent raise. they then don't get a raise for 11 months(who does between annula reviews?)until hey presto its annual review time again.

The 3 month private sector one won't affect lots of companies either I thinkas Annual reviews are normally in january or june.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

Start as you mean to go on. Sure the wealth creators in society will pay for it through hidden taxes.

I think it was during the last German recession (post reunification) that the unions agreed to pay cuts. Imagine suggesting that in Ireland?

Comment

Completely agree, but pay deal not agreed yet and it could good unhinged.

I do think that people on low incomes need to get something in the budget as they have been most affected by increases in the cost of fuel and food.

Comment

This man summed it all up. I can say no more!!!
                  You couldn\'t make it up!

Comment

Originally posted by davidos

Completely agree, but pay deal not agreed yet and it could good unhinged.

I do think that people on low incomes need to get something in the budget as they have been most affected by increases in the cost of fuel and food.

I wonder if anyone has had a good hard look at the role of the supermarkets in those increases. We've been hearing for years that farmers can't afford to produce because huge supermarkets dominate the supply chain and drive the prices down.

And yet suddenly poor old Tesco has no option but to pass on price increases?

I know that the biofuels nonsense has caused real increases in grain prices, but they've never had an issue forcing producers to absorb those costs before.

The energy companies are getting a bot of a going over, but it's remarkable how absent from the discussion on rising costs the major supermarket chains have been.
                    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979

was talking to a friend who works in revenue and the 11 month pay freeze is a bit of a con. they will still get their annual review this month and the concurrent raise. they then don't get a raise for 11 months(who does between annula reviews?) until hey presto its annual review time again.

The 3 month private sector one won't affect lots of companies either I think as Annual reviews are normally in january or june.
                      There are pay scales in the public sector and in quite a few private sector organisations too. To get the increase you need to have had satisfactory performance, sick leave etc. This is based on the premise that you are worth more to the organisation as you gain more experience - not always the case of course.Also bear in mind that there are alot of people at the top of the salary scale. And the date of the increase depends on the individuals start date in that grade.

This is far from a perfect model but the key is that there is a very robust recruitment process and underperformance is addressed. Also needs to ensure that the public service becomes much leaner and more mobile.

Despite what we hear to the contrary there needs to be top class people in the public sector in terms of both policy making and service delivery.

Public policy is becoming more and more complex with most key decisions emanating from brussels.

Serious reform is needed and there has to be pain but its in everyone's interest that it is done right. Decentralisation has already done massive damage, the reforms cannot be slash and burn otherwise you can lose key people in key areas. Look at what happened to biam when it lost a key team ....

Maybe its time tk whittaker should be brought back in.

Comment

a massive simplification of irelands public sector would probably save a few billion. we are a small country why do we have so many local authorities, city and county councils etc? break ireland up into a couple of regions like say provinces and have a governer for each. that way decisions can be made on a regional basis instead of a small city or council (witness limericks issues)and all the expensivebureaucracy is done away with.

Comment

to add to that. I do think all increments should be suspended for a period of 12 months. We are in a crisis and public service needs to play its part.

Comment

Fitzy, you still post on the pin? Still surf it to get my schadenfreude fix for the week. Dunno whether bulls or bears in full flow are worse . . some of the"personal testimonials" about being ridiculed by friends, family, bloke at the bar during property-related conversations are high comedy . .

Comment

Anyone whose interestsare so limited that they talk about the price of houses at the bar deserves what they get
                              My computer thinks I'm gay
                              What's the difference anyway
                              When all the people do all day
                              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by Timster

Fitzy, you still post on the pin? Still surf it to get
                                my schadenfreude fix for the week. Dunno whether bulls or bears in full
                                flow are worse . . some of the "personal testimonials" about being
                                ridiculed by friends, family, bloke at the bar during property-related
                                conversations are high comedy . . 
                                Not really, for the reasons you have outlined. Regular reader of "The
                                central bank" section though.

Comment

Working...
                                X