This is a disgraceful article!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a disgraceful article!

....................... and I agree 100% with what it says.

Now over to the PC brigade for the usual shoite.

@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">Comment: Brenda Power: Travellers’ ludicrous and selfish lifestyle@@@@/SPAN>
    What’s your gut reaction when faced with the headline: “Traveller unemployment high, study finds”. Do you think, “Oh, how terrible. Shame on me for being smug and settled and having a job”? Or is it more like, “Huh, there’s a surprise. Sure most of them don’t want to work anyway”? Or maybe you’re somewhere in between, as in “Do I look like I give a damn?” The one reaction you probably didn’t have, though, is “What exactly are travellers’ advocates doing to change this situation?” That question won’t cross your mind because the single biggest success of the travellers’ champions over the past 40 years has been to dump all responsibility for the miserable lives and life expectancy of the nomadic community firmly at your door.

Travellers have hard lives. You don’t, so it must be your fault. Travellers’ kids rarely make it to third level and most drop out of school before they’re 15. Your kids go to college, so it must be your fault. Travellers can’t find jobs or GPs or pubs that will host their weddings. You take all these basic services for granted, so clearly you’re responsible for their plight. You’re so busy beating yourself up from guilt that it never occurs to you to ask why travellers, and their vocal, well-funded, endlessly indulged apologists, are never held accountable.

Apart from commissioning one whingeing report after another and making demands for “positive discrimination” and “affirmative action”, what practical efforts do travellers’ champions make to improving their charges’ chances of finding decent jobs? The answer is little or none, of course. Because if travellers really wanted jobs, rather than victimhood, they’d make one simple lifestyle change. They’d stop travelling.

If they did this it would mean accepting the houses that the local authorities provide for them, maintaining them to a habitable standard, and making an effort to get on with the neighbours. They’d stay in one place long enough for the next generation to get the education that is available to them. They’d abandon their anachronistic, indefensible and ludicrous existence in order to give their kids the chance to enjoy the rights, services and respect they demand for themselves. So if their spokespeople wanted to do them favours, they would devote their energies to persuading them to give up the road, rather than blaming the rest of us for the effects of a rootless, selfish, nomadic lifestyle.

“Traveller unemployment high, study finds”. Well, what do you expect? A shiftless, transitory way of life is incompatible with the sort of work that offers prospects and potential. You’ll never get to be the boss of General Motors if you’ve got no fixed abode. The kind of work that instils self-esteem and earns respect can never be the result of “positive discrimination”. Indeed, no able-bodied person is entitled to demand such a concession in an economy that has been forced to import 250,000 foreign workers just to keep the place ticking over. It really is a straight choice. Do travellers want employment or a life on the road? A nomadic life doesn’t tend to foster civic obedience or community spirit, either. If you don’t have roots, a sense of place, an attachment to an area, a connection with a locality, you’re less likely to care about staying on good terms with the neighbours or to take a proprietary interest in the local environment. Not all settled folks are saints, but the possibility of penal sanction is a big factor in keeping us on the right side of the law. If, however, you can invoke your cultural right to scarper under cover of darkness after you’ve caused trouble, then you are less likely to be caught and punished.

Travellers’
    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

I've only recently settled myself and I would have to fully concur with Ms. Power. Huzzah.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Excellent piece [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Margins are goosed here too btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Dermot G
          Margins are goosed here too btw.
          Fixed the margins, dont know why it does that sometimes, something to do with the html the RTE outputs sometimes when articles are pasted from other sites

Comment

well said, and excellent article. I most certainly am not one of the pc brigade. I can see this being a long thread though[img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

Good on yeh, Brenda. The PC trendy lefty D4 set need to hear more of this!
              Bigamy is one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.

Comment

Well said and a great piece ,but I fear the author could end up on the end of a descrimination suit knowing the the "Travelling community"
                \"As she lay there dozing next to me, one voice inside my head kept saying, \'Relax, you\'re not the first doctor to sleep with one of his patients\', but the another kept reminding me, \' you are a veterinarian!\'\"

Comment

I tend to listen to her show on Newstalk (mainly because I have to listen to the radio all day to keep me sane at work) and while she's usually a whingebag of the highest order on it, that's a good article by her.
                  Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
                  Munster: Early Season
                  Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
                  Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
                  Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

Don't journalists (the good ones) travel the world covering stories, reporting back, travelling. Pity such a career will never lead them to be the head of General Motors.

Crime shouldn't be part of traveller culture, so it's a pity that so many people, settled and itinerent, seem to think it is.

Also, isn't it great that the standard of halting sites are so high that a child could be burned to death in a caravan becuase there was no workingwatertap on the site, as happened last year? Must keep an eye out for that feature next time I go to a campsite.
                    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Good article. Thanks for posting OD. Agree with most of it. But one shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush. My old man used to know Johnny Doran very well, and Johnny was a gentleman.

As an aside, had a little run-in on Friday with one of our own settled lads. Noticed a trailer tied to a pedal-tricycle outside/round side ofthe neighbours. Parked thegluaiste@@@@SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'MS Sans Serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'MS Sans Serif'; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">án in my drive@@@@/SPAN>and had a look. One of the cousins at a pair of holly trees with a slash hook and old saw. I asked him what he was up to, and he replied he needed it for his granny's grave. I told him I reckoned he had enough, and fair enough he had it cut by now anyway. He loaded his loot and disappeared - made a tidy load. BTW he's about 16 and only recently stopped attending the local school. Informed the neighbour when she returned. Trees will grow back into shape in a year or 2 with a bit of pruning and shaping.

In any case she returned from shopping on Saturday to find a pickup outside the house - she went round the back to find the same lad with his older brother. Thise time they were better equipped - the older guy had a chainsaw! In any case they left but not until after they had a verbal go at the lady (I wouldn't - she's formidable). Turns out that we had a caller later that evening - I was upstairs but on hearing the Boss say we didn't need any holly I rushed down and met thelittle kid (about 10)at the door, asked him where he got the lovely holly - "in the woods".Examined the specimens and explained that they looked very like the variety JC van TOL - he was puzzled. But when the guy standing at the road came nearer and recognised my face - well let's just say that I explained it's better to stick to the truth and an honest day's work. Thing isI am aware that some of the family are trying to make a go of staying straight -I had the16yo as part of a smallgroup for some extra lessons just 2 years ago..... Some of it to explain that it's better to stay straight.....

Comment

At the risk of sounding very Un-PC, why don't travellers EVER seem to put themselves out one bit in order to help themselves be more acceptable, as opposed to being argumentative, threatening and generally unsociable ?

Is it because they are envious of us to an extent that makes them menacing towards us, or is it that they are insecure with their own identity or is this just me being insecure with my identity ?

I don't mean to be argumentative or condescending to anyone, but I'm sure that there are lots like me.

Comment

at the risk of sounding PC, does anyone think that an article like this actually helps the situation? I can't imagine the sweeping generalisations will make the 'travelling community' sit up and realise what Brenda Power thinks are the error of their ways.

Comment

FC, some travellers are intergrated well into society. However noramlity doesn't make headlines too often. It's those we hear about who give them a bad name. I tend toagree with b b though on the usefulness(or not)of the article.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
                              ...Crime shouldn't be part of traveller culture, so it's a pity that so many people, settled and itinerent, seem to think it is.

Also, isn't it great that the standard of halting sites are so high that a child could be burned to death in a caravan becuase there was no workingwatertap on the site, as happened last year? Must keep an eye out for that feature next time I go to a campsite.
                              Are you seriously suggesting it (crime) isn't? [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

As regards halting sites I don't see why we should have any obligation to provide free this that and the other to these people. The death of a child is sad sure, but should we feel guilt because a tap in their free accomodation is broken? I think not.

Comment

Working...
                              X