X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man shot during Kilkenny PO robbery dies

@@@@SPAN lang=EN-IE>Man shot during Kilkenny PO robbery dies

08 December 2006 17:24 @@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@SPAN lang=EN-IE>The man injured in this afternoon's post office raid in Kilkenny has died.@@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@SPAN lang=EN-IE>The man, an employee of the post office, was shot in the stomach during the raid.He has been named locally as Alan Cunniffeand was in his thirties. @@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@SPAN lang=EN-IE>The robbery happened in the John's Green area shortly after 12.10pm today.@@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@SPAN lang=EN-IE>The shooting victim was taken to St Luke's Hospital where he died this afternoon.@@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@SPAN lang=EN-IE>The Minister for Justice, Michael McDowell, has said he is horrified and deeply saddened by the death of the post office worker.@@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@SPAN lang=EN-IE>He described it as a cruel and senseless taking of a young man's life.@@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@SPAN lang=EN-IE>A man was arrested in <st1:Street w:st="&#111;n"><st1:address w:st="&#111;n">Wolfe Tone Street</st1:address></st1:Street> in connection with the incident and a handgun and a quantity of cash were recovered. @@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@SPAN lang=EN-IE>He is being detained at Kilkenny Garda Station.@@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@SPAN lang=EN-IE>Anyone who was in the John's Green or Wolfe Tone area of Kilkenny city between midday and 12.20pm are asked to contact gardaĆ­ on 056-7775067.@@@@/SPAN>
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Who'd be a post master eh?

RIP
    Is it only a game?
    And its Thomond Park NOT Thomond

Comment

I'm always staggered how they can pick someone up within a few hours of a crime - there must be a very small circle of 'serious' criminals in the country which makes it almost a process of elimination?
      Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
      "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

that's terrible, they should jail him for life whoever he is.

A worrying sign of the times.
        Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by who?
          I'm always staggered how they can pick someone up within a few hours of a crime - there must be a very small circle of 'serious' criminals in the country which makes it almost a process of elimination?
          I got the impression he was arrested at the scene more or less.
          Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

Which member of Government was the fool who announced when the money for Christmas was being given out?

RIP maybe killed because of a Governement ego....
            Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud

Which member of Government was the fool who announced when the money for Christmas was being given out?

anyone who wanted to know would have known when it was being made available, so i think it could be unfair to blame a 'government ego' for this death.

Comment

I think he was killed because some thieving scumbag shot him in the stomach.
                Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief

I think he was killed because some thieving scumbag shot him in the stomach.

So it's wrong to shoot unarmed people, Chief? Welcome home.

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

The poor man was murdered a few hours ago. Try and have a bit of class.

Comment

RIP Alan and condolences to your family and friends.

Pity the'suspect' hadn't been kicked out of the country after his earlier 'form'.

Comment

Working...
                      X