Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s pc gone, well, er, just gone...

<H1></H1>

Interesting article on a couple of fronts...for the subject matter itself, the willingness of the press to make stuff up and the general lack of substance behind anti-PC hysteria.....
    <H1>The phoney war on Christmas</H1>

Luton council, we are told, has banned people from celebrating Christmas. Birmingham has renamed the season Winterval. A Reading man has been told to take his decorations down. There's only one problem with the 'PC campaign' against Christmas - it's pure nonsense. By Oliver Burkeman

Friday December 8, 2006
    The Guardian

<DIV id=GuardianArticle>Around this time of year, as the nights draw in and carol-singers don their hats and scarves, David Franks can count on receiving several enraged telephone calls and letters demanding to know why he has banned the people of Luton from celebrating Christmas. The exact circumstances in which the Liberal Democrat leader of Luton borough council came to outlaw centuries of Christian tradition are unclear, not least to David Franks, but the central facts are always the same. He and his fellow councillors have forcibly replaced Christmas with a "Harry Potter-themed" event called Luminos, to avoid offending minorities.

< = =text/>

<!-

/* set the domain in anticipati&#111;n of the ad*/
    if(setDomainForAds) {
    setDomainForAds();
    };

//->

<DIV =MPU_display_ id=spacedesc_mpu_div><A name=article_c&#111;ntinue></A></DIV>The Luton controversy recurs annually, but this year something in the tone of it has changed. According to Christian leaders, vigorously backed by rightwing newspapers, Franks is no longer a fringe figure, but one crusader in a fully fledged national war against Christmas. "The crazy gang who constitute the local council at Luton," as the commentator AN Wilson called them in the Daily Mail last weekend, now have sympathisers across the country: at the council that erased all mention of Christmas from its Christmas cards, in the town that banned a generous millionaire from erecting his annual charity lights display, and in the Scottish hospital that refused to distribute a Christmas CD because it mentioned Jesus, to name just three. Almost 75% of British employers, according to a survey released this week, have banned Christmas decorations for fear of offending other faiths, and don't realise they have a legal obligation to celebrate Diwali and Eid, whether they like it or not.

"The dead hand of political correctness is throttling the life out of the festive spirit," thundered the Sun, announcing, like the Mail, a front-page campaign to defend Christmas. (In Birmingham, the paper noted despairingly, "Christmas has been rebranded as Winterval.") Spurred on by the former Archbishop of Canterbury, George Carey, and by the Christian Muslim Forum, which has launched a national battle against the de-Christianising of Christmas, local leaders of three faiths wrote to Franks in Luton this week. They warned darkly of the "anger within religious communities" that might erupt if he did not "refrain from renaming the Christmas festival using another (non-religious) name".

All of which might be reasonable, were it not for a few awkward facts. Luton does not have a festival called Luminos. It does not use any alternative name for Christmas. When it did, once, five years ago, hold something called Luminos one weekend in late November, the event didn't even replace the council's own Christmas celebrations, let alone forbid anyone else from doing anything. Similarly, Christmas is not called Winterval in Birmingham. The Royal Edinburgh Hospital for Sick Children never banned a Chris
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

erra the world's gone pc mad.

Comment

Originally posted by socks
      the world's gone pc mad.

I know its hard to believe but Balla is pro PC.

My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

I wonder how many will just read the first paragraph of the article and go off on a rant, without reading what it's all about?

That said, can we ban Christmas? Pleeese?

Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
        "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

Nice one, about time we faced the fact that nobody's trying to ban Christmas, and in fact that this idea of "PC gone mad" is nothing but the staple fare of lazy, drunken, maliciousDaily Wail hacks.
          For you stole Trevelyan\'s watch, So the young might see....oh, never mind....

Comment

Less pro, more generally convinced that it doesn't exist as characterised.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by who?
              I wonder how many will just read the first paragraph of the article and go off on a rant, without reading what it's all about?
              why? what does the second paragraph say?

Comment

It's worrying how the rumours take hold and become "fact" though. The Winterval one is dredged up every year. The one I hear a lot here is "we can't have Christmas because it offends the Muslims" and is then followed by a rant of "it's our country, if they don't like it ... blah blah blah". No amount of saying that it ain't so seems to make a difference. [img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]

Hope Not Hate

Comment

There's a second paragraph?[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Not sure, but I think it tells how Santa is now to be a black Muslim woman called Shaniqua Clause; and will give presents to all children equally whether they've been good-behaviourally challenged or not.

Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
                  "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

well we were forced to take down our christian feast of the birth of jesus christ decorations a few years ago at work. the excuse given was that they were a fire hazard but i always suspected that the company owner was a jew. couldn't prove it though.

Comment

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

My computer thinks I'm gay
                      What's the difference anyway
                      When all the people do all day
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Great article. Usually if you scratch the surface of one of these PCGM fairytales you'll find it's either a complete distortion or just a case of some individual low-level bureaucrat acting idiotically.

Comment

Walmart were slammed over the last few years for not referring to Christmas, they had a policy of wishing customers 'Seasons Greetings'. They have now reverted to wishing Happy Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa. I really hate Xmas though, most of the hype about it is commercial rubbish anyway, for most people it's not about the actual event that people are supposed to be celebrating.

Comment

What is harder to believe is that circa 50,000 people buythe "Oirish" Daily Mail every day.
                            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73
                              What is harder to believe is that circa 50,000 people buythe "Oirish" Daily Mail every day.
                              shur how else would we find out that peter andre and jordan haven't time for sex recently as they're so busy working?

Comment

Working...
                              X