No announcement yet.

Socks’ reincarnated Celebrity RIP thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxing promoter Barney Eastwood today as well.
    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Country music legend Kenny Rogers has died at the age of 81. RIP
      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Albert Uderzo, the man who drew Asterix the Gaul. Didn't realise the first one was published as long ago as 1959! Nor that the dog's name in the French-language originals wasn't Dogmatix, but Idéfix. Reading those as a kid I picked up on a fair few of those little in-jokes and puns, but I'm sure if I returned to them as an adult I'd spot a lot more. I love clever writing like that.
        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

loved them, have a stack of them in wardrobe at home still
          "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

vitalstatistix and Squareonthehypothenus, great names
            "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Me too. The Irish Times used to have them on their Crossword Page years ago. They even put them up "in the original" for a while.

Comment

and Cacophonix the Bard.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                  Albert Uderzo, the man who drew Asterix the Gaul. Didn't realise the first one was published as long ago as 1959! Nor that the dog's name in the French-language originals wasn't Dogmatix, but Idéfix. Reading those as a kid I picked up on a fair few of those little in-jokes and puns, but I'm sure if I returned to them as an adult I'd spot a lot more. I love clever writing like that.
                  A lot of the clever english translation work was done by a woman called Anthea Bell - i imagine she also translated the French names to the english ones also.
                  "I've got lots of potatos that need peeling and manure that needs shovelling" -M. Burns :_skull__rvmp_by_bad

Comment

Bill Rieflin, drummer who played with REM, Nine Inch Nails and King Crimson has died aged 59. He had been diagnosed with cancer
                    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

John O’Leary,golfer. Winner of Irish Open 1982.
                      The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                      X