Socks’ reincarnated Celebrity RIP thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
    Albert Finney, aged 82. He was a star long before I really became aware of him, but that changed when Miller's Crossing came out (feck, 29 years ago now). Apart from that, his stand-out roles for me were in the (final two) Denis Potter TV dramas, Karaoke and Cold Lazarus, and his performance in Before The Devil Knows You're Dead.
    Not to mention Erin Brockovich. I hadn't realised that he received four Best Actor Oscar nominations, as well as one Best Supporting Actor.
    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Think he was 92 rather than 82?
      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Any report I've seen said he was 82 WL.
        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
          Any report I've seen said he was 82 WL.
          You’re right, the original reports I saw said 92!
          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Comment

What a man, and possibly the last of his type - bookies son from Salford (not Manchaster as he corrected many interviewers), rugby league fan, one of the first working-class as real people with an inner life (Arthur Seaton - Don't let the bastards grind you down), ladies man - Joan Baez, Carly Simon, Billie Whitelaw, Jacqueline Bisset, Shelley Winters and Diana Quick, and one of his three wives being Anouk Aimee (A Man and a Woman). Scholarship boy all the way from Salford Grammar to RADA - now it's all ex-Eton posh boys. Declined CBE and knighthood, unlike so many other 1960s young heros - Jagger, McCartney etc,
            Quote:"I think the Sir thing slightly perpetuates one of our diseases in England, which is snobbery, And it also helps keep us 'quaint', which I'm not a great fan of."
            Died a wine lover and owner of racehorses - screw the Oscars - that's a life.

Comment

Gordon Banks.
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngE9RCAdWaE
              The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Guinness View Post

Sad. A true class act and a great goalkeeper.
                "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post

Sad. A true class act and a great goalkeeper.
                  Very true.

”They think it’s all over... it is now “

RIP

Comment

RIP

A report here https://www.balls.ie/football/balls-...ireland-390403 on him playing for Pats v Shams in the League of Ireland and denying Eamon Dunphy a goal.
                    Last edited by Piquet; 12th-February-2019, 11:14.

Comment

A wonderful tribute by Pelé on his friend Gordon Banks

From the
                      HTML Code:
                      Grauniad
                      “I have great sadness in my heart today and I send condolences to the family Gordon was so proud of,” Pelé said. “I scored many goals in my life but people always like to ask about the one I didn’t score, because of that save. While it was indeed phenomenal my memory of Gordon is not defined by that but his friendship. He was a kind, warm man who gave so much to people. I am glad he saved my header because it was the start of a friendship I will always treasure. Whenever we met it was like we had never been apart.”
                      Gordon Banks, a World Cup winner with England in 1966 whose diving, twisting save to thwart Pelé in 1970 is lauded as one of the greatest feats of goalkeeping, has died aged 81

Comment

Bruno Ganz (Hitler)
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBWm...&feature=share
                        The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

John Stalker.
                          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Peter Tork of the Monkees.
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Rita Ring, Christy's Widow has died.

RIP.

Comment

The scumbag child rapist Liam Adams, brother of Gerry, has died of cancer while still serving a 16-year sentence for the abuse of his own daughter.
                                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Working...
                                X