Socks’ reincarnated Celebrity RIP thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Tom has passed.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
      Big Tom has passed.
      Genuinely sorry to hear that - I caught the dying years of the dancehalls in the mid-70s down in Kerry - that man and his band could draw a massive crowd, even mid-week (as in 'condensation running down the walls' packed).
      Disliked the music but it was a music of the country people, and authentic in its own weird way. A real sub-culture. Even the Steely Dan and Zep fans like myself had to learn how to jive, or else spend the night watching the rustics spinning the hot girls around the floor. Captured wonderfully by John Waters (while still normal) in Jiving at the Crossroads.

Little known fact: Big Tom and his band, the Mainliners (!!), were a keyboard driven band, with the keyboard the dominant sound - one night fadó a pal mused to me that it was like Irelands answer to The Doors!

Comment

Big Tom and the Mainliners were such an attraction that their management decided to split them up and have two bands.

John Glenn and the Mainliners were very popular while never reaching the heights they had when Big Tom was fronting them.

Big Tom's new band was called, believe it or not The Travellers. They were extremely popular.

Comment

Urban myth that Big Tom once played a gig in NY to the expats community but the posters were spotted by some of New Yorks alternate scene who had a distinctly different take on the name of his band .... the gig was allegedly like liquorice all sorts with doped up heads mixing with the C & W set........

Prob not true but why ruin a good story......
          "I've got lots of potatos that need peeling and manure that needs shovelling" -M. Burns

Comment

Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post
            Genuinely sorry to hear that - I caught the dying years of the dancehalls in the mid-70s down in Kerry - that man and his band could draw a massive crowd, even mid-week (as in 'condensation running down the walls' packed).
            Disliked the music but it was a music of the country people, and authentic in its own weird way. A real sub-culture. Even the Steely Dan and Zep fans like myself had to learn how to jive, or else spend the night watching the rustics spinning the hot girls around the floor. Captured wonderfully by John Waters (while still normal) in Jiving at the Crossroads.

Little known fact: Big Tom and his band, the Mainliners (!!), were a keyboard driven band, with the keyboard the dominant sound - one night fadó a pal mused to me that it was like Irelands answer to The Doors!
            I saw him once when I was a child. It was like a scene from a zombie apocalypse. All I remember was the heat, that damn keyboard, and being twirrled and twirrled by demented Aunties till the coke and taytos were half way up my throat.

In some ways he influenced by musical tastes - I'm still a fan of Americana for example.
            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Four Roads is in my head. RIP.
              "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
              Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
                Four Roads is in my head. RIP.
                Thanks for that Black, my Welsh wife is looking at me like I've about ten heads on me walking around the house singing that bloody thing to myself.

Comment

Barbara Bush off to white heaven.
                  The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                    Barbara Bush off to white heaven.
                    I remember her best for such films as The Naked Gun 2 1/2 The Smell of Fear.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
                    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Dale Winton gone to great supermarket in the sky.
                      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Interesting article in the New Yorker on Mrs Bush

Comment

Avicii found dead. Only 28. Had some health problems so not sure what cause was
                          "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

I haven't seen it in any if the papers but there's a Death Notice in the Irish Times today for John Carroll, former head of the IT&GWU and SIPTU.

"Two Bottles" as he was known in the Phoenix.

RIP.

Comment

Not sure if many posters used listen to child rearing slot on Moncrieff, but his acerbic, funny, blunt expert Dr David Carey passsed away.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                                I haven't seen it in any if the papers but there's a Death Notice in the Irish Times today for John Carroll, former head of the IT&GWU and SIPTU.

"Two Bottles" as he was known in the Phoenix.

RIP.
                                A big political presence in his day, and one of the traditional Labour Party barons. Oversaw merger to create SIPTU.

Comment

Working...
                                X