Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-34534992.html

Obituary: Larry Wren

Straight-dealing former Garda Commissioner who oversaw phone tapping scandal

Click image for larger version

Name:	Larry Wren.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	2487205
    • Born in Abbeyfeale, Co Limerick, in 1922, he attended St Ita's College in the town
    • He was described as having "a clear, incisive mind and a reputation for straight dealing"
    • Because of his independence, he was not regarded as "friendly" to the administration of Charles J Haughey
    • he insisted on a thorough investigation into allegations that Pat O'Connor, Mr Haughey's solicitor and friend in Malahide, had voted twice during the June 1981 election.
    • He was the senior Assistant Commissioner under Garda Commissioner Patrick McLaughlin but, according to reports, was "virtually ostracised", his role being superseded by Deputy Commissioner Joe Ainsworth... the new justice minister in the Fine Gael/Labour coalition, Michael Noonan, learned from files in the Department of Justice that McLaughlin and Ainsworth had authorised the illegal tapping of journalists' telephones (on the instructions of Minister for Justice Sean Doherty)....Although others had been groomed for the position, Larry Wren was then appointed Garda Commissioner
    • He was regarded as "abrasive and Spartan". He drove the family car from his home in Castleknock, Co Dublin, to garda headquarters, only using his official vehicle on garda business.
    • One of his first acts as Commissioner was to introduce clear protocols for drunk driving. ...the 'fixing' of such cases by various ranks became far more difficult.
    • He also astonished his senior officers by telling them during a meeting to spend less time on the golf course and more time doing their jobs.
    • He was a devout Catholic, attending Mass almost daily in St Brigid's Church, Blanchardstown.

Comment

Seru Rabeni dead...
      Only 37...
      http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/...i-dies-aged-37
      He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Jesus, that's shockingly young. Thought he was a beast of a player any time I saw him.
        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Pythagoras View Post
          http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-34534992.html

Obituary: Larry Wren

Straight-dealing former Garda Commissioner who oversaw phone tapping scandal

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13547[/ATTACH]
          • Born in Abbeyfeale, Co Limerick, in 1922, he attended St Ita's College in the town
          • He was described as having "a clear, incisive mind and a reputation for straight dealing"
          • Because of his independence, he was not regarded as "friendly" to the administration of Charles J Haughey
          • he insisted on a thorough investigation into allegations that Pat O'Connor, Mr Haughey's solicitor and friend in Malahide, had voted twice during the June 1981 election.
          • He was the senior Assistant Commissioner under Garda Commissioner Patrick McLaughlin but, according to reports, was "virtually ostracised", his role being superseded by Deputy Commissioner Joe Ainsworth... the new justice minister in the Fine Gael/Labour coalition, Michael Noonan, learned from files in the Department of Justice that McLaughlin and Ainsworth had authorised the illegal tapping of journalists' telephones (on the instructions of Minister for Justice Sean Doherty)....Although others had been groomed for the position, Larry Wren was then appointed Garda Commissioner
          • He was regarded as "abrasive and Spartan". He drove the family car from his home in Castleknock, Co Dublin, to garda headquarters, only using his official vehicle on garda business.
          • One of his first acts as Commissioner was to introduce clear protocols for drunk driving. ...the 'fixing' of such cases by various ranks became far more difficult.
          • He also astonished his senior officers by telling them during a meeting to spend less time on the golf course and more time doing their jobs.
          • He was a devout Catholic, attending Mass almost daily in St Brigid's Church, Blanchardstown.
          He wad Garda Press Officer or some such during the siege in Monasterevin at the end of the Herrema kidnapping. In the course of one press briefing some hack asked him how often Gallagher,Coyle and Herrema used the toilet,to which he replied "I am not privy to that information."
          The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Sylvie Anderson...Co creator of Thunderbird and the voice of Lady Penelope...88.RIP
            I used to love Thunderbirds
            Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. (Marcus Aurelius, 121-189 AD)

Comment

Robert Carrickford (Stephen Brennan from Glenroe) died yesterday.
              The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Dick Burke, former Education Minister has died. He was 83.

One of his other claims to fame was being nominated as European Commissioner by Charlie Haughey back in the 80s, even though he was a Fine Gael TD.

Numbers were tight in the Dáil and Charlie reckoned FF'd win the resulting Bye-election.

They didn't.

I think that was the Election where Ray Burke promised some estate in West Dublin some trees to take the bare look off the place.

A day or two before the Election, the trees arrived.

When FF lost, the trees disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post

One of his other claims to fame was being nominated as European Commissioner by Charlie Haughey back in the 80s, even though he was a Fine Gael TD.

Numbers were tight in the Dáil and Charlie reckoned FF'd win the resulting Bye-election.

They didn't.

I think that was the Election where Ray Burke promised some estate in West Dublin some trees to take the bare look off the place.

A day or two before the Election, the trees arrived.

When FF lost, the trees disappeared.
                  Dick Burke there's a blast from the past. Was from the back end of beyond but spoke like an anglo-irishman.
                  A former christian brother who classified people into 2 groups, those who used grass and those who used toilet paper.

Comment

Paul Daniels passed away rip.

Comment

I didn't spot that yesterday. He was Education Minister in the 1970s I think, because I remember as a student marching around Dublin on a horribly wet day in protest against "Burke's Proposals" for third level, whatever they were. Maybe you can remember Piquet?
                      "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                      Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

I can indeed. I can still vividly remember marching down Grafton Street in the UCD "parade". One of the Marshalls led the chant (with a Megaphone) which echoed from the shopfronts.

" Di-ick, we want you.........OUT"

Comment

I can indeed. I can still vividly remember marching down Grafton Street in the UCD "parade". One of the Marshalls led the chant (with a Megaphone) which echoed from the shopfronts.

" Di-ick, we want you.........OUT"
                          Any half-decent Minister for Education should always have the third level parasites marching against him/her. Any Minister for Education who isn't unpopular with teachers' Unions and third-level students is a complete muppet.

Probably worth adding that Dick Burke was among the handful of rats who joined then Taoiseach Liam T Cosgrave in voting against their own Government's Contraceptives Bill!
                          New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

You were a " third-level parasite" yourself, one time, OD. Indeed you benefitted well from it, fair play to you.

Comment

You were a " third-level parasite" yourself, one time, OD. Indeed you benefitted well from it, fair play to you.
                              Indeed I was! And in my case, I supped from that well thrice. But I never had the rank hypocrisy to rally against any government that was subsidising my education.
                              New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Paul Daniels has died aged 77. Brain tumour. R.I.P.
                                Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                                Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Working...
                                X