• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between a Geek and a Nerd ?

What is it ? and which is worse?

Ask Ruck[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

<DIV>A geek is much worse than a nerd. Apparently, nerds are cool these days.</DIV>
      <DIV></DIV>
      <DIV>Nerds are somebody who is just very very smart.</DIV>
      <DIV></DIV>
      <DIV>A geek doesn't necessarily have to be smart, they're more socially inept and spend all their time online discussing star trek ... or rugby [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]</DIV>
      <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
      http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
      </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

Comment

I am a nerd, Ruck is a geek. And that's all you need to know. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
        For you stole Trevelyan\'s watch, So the young might see....oh, never mind....

Comment

<DIV>
          Originally posted by The Crimson King
          I am a nerd, Ruck is a geek. And that's all you need to know. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
          </DIV>
          <DIV></DIV>
          <DIV>every single person on this website with more than 2 posts a day is a geek.[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/razz.gif[/img]</DIV>
          <DIV>Try and deny it all you like, but it's true.</DIV>
          </a>

Comment

The worst thing is I'm not even embarassed about it any more [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

(8+ a day and counting - but I only have a temp job, so I'm really just trying to look busy. You guys, you're my saviours [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]&nbsp[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Nerds

Non-nerds often think of nerds as intelligent yet socially awkward people. Nerds generally express an above-normal interest in complex subjects and often function as polymaths. Topics dealing with science, technology, comic books, complex board games (particularly chess, role-playing games, and wargames), classical music, artificial intelligence, video games and science fiction, horror and fantasy literature books, TV shows and movies have all become heavily associated with nerds, as have conventions relating to these various topics.

Despite their crucial function as a class within modern society, there has been almost no serious and methodologically-reliable academic research published on geeks/nerds, apart from a handful of studies of their consumption-based fan cultures. Some commentators have noticed similarities between pronounced nerdy behavior and the neurological disorder known as high-functioning Asperger syndrome. The lack of studies of nerds means that we have no basis for proving such a correlation, causal or other relationship between the two types.

In the practice of psychology, geeks and nerds can be said to be Myers-Briggs Type Indicator INTP, ENTP or INTJ, and, in various cases, ENTJ. However, due to speculation over the difference of nerds and geeks, the types cannot be sorted into their subsequent classifications. Also, all types have the ability to be nerds, whereas the INTJ, INTP, ENTP, and ENTJ are near definites for being nerds. The INTP is the classic programmer type, INTJ the classic scientist type. However, due to the sterotypical shyness and social ineptitude associated with nerds, the INTP and INTJ are more likely to be classified into that group than their Extroverted counterparts. These two types are the Introverted iNtuitive Thinkers. As Introverts they are stimulated by thoughts and ideas, rather than people and things. They are often quite happy spending hours absorbed in solitary activities. As iNtuitives, they are more inclined toward abstract concepts and subtle connections than in concrete examples or direct experience. As Thinkers, they are more adept in logic and reason than feelings or emotions. This combination makes INT's masters of mathematics, logic, and science, but rather oblivious to social graces. Both INTJs and INTPs tend to be outwardly nerdy and actively rebel against social rules they view as irrational and meaningless. However, INTJs tend to learn to put on a facade of surface conformism to draw less attention to themselves. For example long hair is, not surprisingly, common with INTP men, whereas INTJ men would keep their hair cut low, and dress conservatively

Geek
              The definition most common among geeks themselves is: "one who is primarily motivated by passion", indicating somebody whose reasoning and decision making is always first and foremost based on his personal passions rather than things like financial reward or social acceptance. Geeks do not see the typical "geeky" interests as interesting, but as passionate devotions. The idea that the pursuit of personal passions should be the fundamental driving force to all decisions could be considered the most basic shared tenet among geeks of all varieties. Geeks consider such pursuits to be their own defining characteristic.

A person who is interested in technology, especially computing and new media. Comparable with the classic definition of hacker. (Late 20th century and early 21st century.)
              A person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one who pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not mainstream social acceptance. Geeks usually have a strong case of neophilia (a love of novelty and new things). Most geeks are adept with computers and treat hacker as a term of respect, but not all are hackers themselves — and some who are in fact hackers normally call themselves geeks anyway, beca

Comment

The worst thing is I'm not even embarassed about it any more [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

(8+ a day and counting - but I only have a temp job, so I'm really just trying to look busy. You guys, you're my saviours [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img][img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
                <DIV>
                </DIV>
                <DIV>Wait til you get a real job, you'll just post even more.</DIV>
                </a>

Comment

According to Drick, I'm both - surely that's just too awful to be true! [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

(Ruck - if they'll let me stay in college till I'm forty, which is looking increasingly likely, I'll be posting 24 hours a day..... [img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img])

Comment

According to Drick, I'm both - surely that's just too awful to be true! [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

I think that makes you a Dork, the worst of the lot. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                    </a>

Comment

Uh-oh. Where's the Home Alone-style own-face-slapping smilie? I think "dork" deserves one of those.

Feck, I'm going to have to spend some time on Gwlad now to get the bile out of my system. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Ruck

I think that makes you a Dork, the worst of the lot. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                        Harsh!

I thought it was "I am a nerd, you are a geek, they are dorks".
                        Hope Not Hate

Comment

Where are our Latin experts, to conjugate the whole thing properly!?

(although can you be a dork and functionally innumerate, like myself? I am obviously a conundrum, wrapped in an enigma, wrapped in a dork, wrapped in a slice of Parma ham.....mmmm, ham.... Actually, scrap that, I am Homer Simpson trapped in a woman's body [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img])

Comment

Where are our Latin experts, to conjugate the whole thing properly!?

(although can you be a dork and functionally innumerate, like myself? I am obviously a conundrum, wrapped in an enigma, wrapped in a dork, wrapped in a slice of Parma ham.....mmmm, ham.... Actually, scrap that, I am Homer Simpson trapped in a woman's body [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img])
                            <DIV>
                            </DIV>
                            <DIV>You're a bloody weirdo is what you are.</DIV>
                            <DIV></DIV>
                            <DIV>[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]</DIV>
                            </a>

Comment

I knew Ruck would have all the answers on this topic [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X