Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arthur Guinness View Post
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.inde...-36866604.html

G'wan Aviva. I particularly like the last sentence.
    Proper order, however the judges remark about fractured ribs being “immediately painful” isn’t entirely accurate. I was in a motorcycle accident a few years ago where I had a nice bit of permanent damage done to my back as well as fractured ribs. In my case, I didn’t feel immediate pain, it was only when the shock or adrenaline wore off that it hurt like hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

WTF...

Car insurance renewal notice came and.... a massive €74.96 REDUCTION.... from last year... something must be wrong...

Liberty Insurance btw. moved to them last year.
      Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

I picked up a new car today and was offered an additional insurance package from the Garage as follows.

My Comprehensive Policy, in the event of my car being written off, will only pay out the "Market Value" of the car at the time of the accident.

This Policy, known as Gap Cover or some such term, will for a once off payment of €400 odd, cover me for the difference between the "Market Value" and the cost of a brand new replacement car in the first three years of my ownership.

I politely declined the offer.

Was I right?

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
          I picked up a new car today and was offered an additional insurance package from the Garage as follows.

My Comprehensive Policy, in the event of my car being written off, will only pay out the "Market Value" of the car at the time of the accident.

This Policy, known as Gap Cover or some such term, will for a once off payment of €400 odd, cover me for the difference between the "Market Value" and the cost of a brand new replacement car in the first three years of my ownership.

I politely declined the offer.

Was I right?
          Level of insurance cover is often a difficult choice if you're trying to save money. You're only right if you're happy with your choice. If you're car is written off within 3 years, you'll wish you paid the 400. If it isn't, you'll be glad you didn't. But It seems you're fishing for some instant affirmation ;-)

Comment

Go back, pay the €400, then write off your car. At least then you'll know you got value for it.
            "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Say, for the sake of argument, I buy a car for €30K. After three years, its Market Value would be in the region of €17.5K, say.

If I were to trade it in against a new car, I'd probably get €20K or so. The same car again would cost me €12K ish allowing for inflation.

Were it to be written off after three years, and I wanted the same car again, I'd have €17.5K in my fist and, allowing for a "discount for cash", I'd end up paying much the same €12K or so.

With the Gap insurance, in the event of a write-off,
              I'd get €17.5K from my Car Insurer and €12K from the Gap Insurer and my new car would cost me nowt.

Basically I'm betting €400 that my car will be written off within three years at odds of 30/1 against.

Or are my sums and my logic wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post

It seems you're fishing for some instant affirmation ;-)

Au contraire, Salty, old pooch, I'm just wondering what people's opinion is.

Has anyone taken it up?

If so, have they been paid out on it?

Is it good value for the risk involved?

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                  Go back, pay the €400, then write off your car. At least then you'll know you got value for it.
                  What about the lost NCB?

Comment

Here's a good one.

As previously discussed, I changed my car last Tuesday, the 28th. I rang my Insurance Company to arrange for the policy to be changed over to the new car and they said that they would send me my new Cert and disc.

I got a letter from them today and, basically, all it was was a quotation for cover for next year, (my policy is due for renewal on the 3rd of Sep).

Needless to say, I rang them and also needless to say I was put on hold.

While I was holding I logged onto the company's Site and into their "MY£$%" facility to manage my Policy. I saw a facility for downloading my Insurance Cert and did so.

Imagine my surprise/shock/horror when I saw that my current Insurance Disc has a "Period of Cover" from the 17th of July to the 2nd of Sep and is for my old car.

In other words, when I drove out of the Garage on Tuesday last, and around Cork for the rest of the week and to and from Dublin on Sunday, there was no cover on my car.

As you will understand, when the the unfortunate Insurance Company Rep answered my call, he got an earful.

He told me that according to their records, I was, after all, on cover since last Tuesday.

I asked him to send me out a Cert and Disc and he gave me some gibberish that because it is so close to me renewal date they can only send me out a "temporary Cover Disc" or some such term which has a maximum duration of 30 days. Accordingly, my new Disc will only be valid for between the 3rd of August and the 2nd of Sep.

Does anyone with a knowledge of the Car Insurance business (I was going to say "Racket") have a comment?

Comment

Working...
                    X