X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CIA rendition flights through Shannon

'Serious concerns' over use of Irish airports

28 November 2006 16:21

A draft European Parliament report into alleged CIA rendition flights has expressed 'serious concerns' over the 147 stopovers made by CIA-operated aircraft at Irish airports.

The report says these aircraft were on many occasions coming from, or en route to, countries linked with extraordinary rendition and the transfer of alleged terrorism suspects or detainees.

It also claims that CIA linked aircraft which had stopped off in Ireland had 'certainly been used for the extraordinary renditions' of nine named individuals.

Fianna Fáil MEP Eoin Ryan has accused the report's authors of 'gesture politics'.

He said there was 'not one shred of concrete evidence' in the report which demonstrated that rendition flights took place through Shannon Airport.

The Minister for Foreign Affairs, Dermot Ahern, is due to appear on Thursday before the special committee set up to investigate CIA rendition flights through European airports.

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

didn't the CIA say they were not doing it - what more do people want?
    Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

Comment

Mad!!! Is the full report published anywhere?

Comment

No link provided to the full report, I guess because it's a draft still.
        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

All that that piece says is that their were 147 stopovers by CIA aircraft in Shannon, and that potentially some of the flights could have been rendition flight, no form of proof of any kind is given.

I clearly don't support rendition flights but I have no real problem with US troops going through Shannon, it helps the airport out financially. I never supported the war in Iraq, I thought that the case was hyped up, but I have no problem with the troops using the airport, any Irish government whether FF or FG would allow the flights through.

Comment

Clon has summed it up perfectly. There is nothing in that piece that protestors have not being saying for the last few years.
            Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

Comment

147 empty planes just flying around for the crack of it. Nothing to see here folks. [img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]

My computer thinks I'm gay
              What's the difference anyway
              When all the people do all day
              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

147 empty planes just flying around for the crack of it. Nothing to see here folks. [img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]

I'm sure they use their planes Sewa to carry people in them. My point is that people can look at a set of facts and convince themselves of anything, if they really want to be convinced. So I'm sure many people, maybe Sewa also, will convince themselves that in the absence of proof to the contrary they must be right, even if their is no form of proof to support them.

Comment

Originally posted by Clon

I'm sure they use their planes Sewa to carry people in them. My point is that people can look at a set of facts and convince themselves of anything, if they really want to be convinced. So I'm sure many people, maybe Sewa also, will convince themselves that in the absence of proof to the contrary they must be right, even if their is no form of proof to support them.
                  this was clearly just the CIA bus service taking a slight detour because traffic was bad in Langley on those 147 particular days. Sheeesh! Some people jump to conclusions oh so easily.

Comment

Cynical conspiracy theorists on a messageboard, what next[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Comment

Abu Ghraib?

Guantanamo Bay?

Iraq?

Were supposed to trust these people?

The samepeople who famouslywho told us all about the Weapons of Mass destruction?

The people who claimed links between Al Qaeda and Saddam?

You are aware that heroin prices plummeted world wide due to massively increased supply out of Afghanistan, a country they currentlyoccupy?

Why trust them?

My computer thinks I'm gay
                      What's the difference anyway
                      When all the people do all day
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Sewa, if you dislike the US administration then why didn't you say that. I can't stand them myself. The issue I would have is that Irish people have benefitted from an integrated global economy,from 100's of thouands of jobs from US companies, and many 10's of Billion's of US capital investment, as well as the US takingin many millions of Irish people. It makes it hard for us to tell US companies that we won't allow your troops stopover here because we don't trust you as far as we can throw you, but we still want to receive 10's of billions from you in investment.

If their is proof of rendition then we can do something about it. The CIA have used Shannon as a stop off to the ME a lot, like US troops. Rendition flights are believed to have used certain airports in Poland, and some other Eastern European countries, if their was a link from those airports to Shannon thenI would see this as proof, but because the report doesn't appear to mention any of that then their is no actual proof yet.

I've never bought the absolute neutrality line, at this stage we must work out who we are neutral against. That is, I would not support Irish troops taking part in NATO etc., or most foreign wars ( unless they are very clear cut), but indorectly we have an interest in ensuring that European and US countries remain successful/powerful, imo.

Comment

Sewa, if you dislike the US administration then why didn't you say that. I can't stand them myself. The issue I would have is that Irish people have benefitted from an integrated global economy,from 100's of thouands of jobs from US companies, and many 10's of Billion's of US capital investment, as well as the US takingin many millions of Irish people. It makes it hard for us to tell US companies that we won't allow your troops stopover here because we don't trust you as far as we can throw you, but we still want to receive 10's of billions from you in investment.
                          Ah. While working for American multi-nationals (Apple and Motorola), I must have missed the "If you work for this company, you are forbidden to criticise or ridicule present or future American foreign policy" clause in my contract.

I'd have far more respect for people such as the above, rather than those who are opposed to American actions but won't criticise it for money's sake.
                          Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
                          "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

Originally posted by who?

Ah. While working for American multi-nationals (Apple and Motorola), I must have missed the "If you work for this company, you are forbidden to criticise or ridicule present or future American foreign policy" clause in my contract.

I'd have far more respect for people such as the above, rather than those who are opposed to American actions but won't criticise it for money's sake.

Where did I say you couldn't criticiseUS actions ?, If you have less respect for my views then that's fine. It's possible to criticise US actions without believing that the troops stopover should be blocked.

Comment

So we're backto Paster Niemoller yet again - how sad.

O tempora, o mores. [img]smileys/cry.gif[/img]
                              New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Working...
                              X