X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What day of the week to vote in elections

FG wants all future elections held on Fridays or weekends

07:59 Tuesday April 24th 2007

Fine Gael is seeking to introduce a new law that would guarantee all future elections are held on Fridays or weekends.
    The party is due to table private members' bills in the Dail and Seanad this evening specifying that all elections must be held on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

It says the move is designed to increase voter participation as it would enable students and young workers to return to their home constituencies to cast their vote.

However, the suggestions are expected to be voted down by the government parties.

The Taoiseach is believed to be planning a Thursday election this year, something the opposition claims is deliberately designed to disenfranchise young voters.

My view would be that voting should be on a Saturday. To give eerybody a chance to get back to were they are registered to vote.
    Thursday
    0%
    Friday
    0%
    Saturday
    0%
    Sunday
    0%
    Voting is a waste of time
    0%
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Should be on all weekend, but given the 85% turnout in the French Presidential elections. I think Sunday. People are doing nothing anyway.

Comment

Friday would be best imo, leaving Saturday and Sunday to get the counting done. BTW, I'm glad e-voting didn't come in, all the fun of politicians sweating it out would be lost [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Slightly off topic, but listening to RTE last night they said Bertie was due to call the election this week for the 16th of May.

Now I know the campaigns have been in full swing for some time, but is that not a ludicrously short period of time to have "official" campaigning?

Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Smart monies on the 24th of May fitzy73
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud
            Smart monies on the 24th of May fitzy73
            Even still, thats only 4 months away - the French had three months!

Definitely have a vote on weekends. There are many people who now work away from their place of residence during the week.

This is my first time ever not having a vote in Ireland for a General Election [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

Comment

Better still would be to make it compulsory to attend the polling station. You would not have to vote but would have to sign on say you were about. Voting should be seen as something vital we do to contribute to the well being of our society, not a minor inconvienence and a free day off school.
              It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Saturday would be the best IMHO. At least the students scattered all over the country would have a chance to get back to their constituencies.

I would also be in favour of an absentee ballot. Why should people be deprived of their vote just because they are on holidays or cant get back to their constituency.
                "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Any chance of pushing the red button on your TV remote?

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-boo

Now that's a good idea, true electronic and convenient voting. Maybe RTE can provide this whenever they decide to go digital. Would have to be as secure as Fort Knox though.
                    "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

I can't remember where it was, but somewhere in the UK they recently had text voting for local elections. To encourage the "yoof" vote, apparently.

How long before we see Big Brother styled election evictions?

Bertie or Enda. Who Goes? YOU decide!

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73
                        I can't remember where it was, but somewhere in the UK they recently had text voting for local elections. To encourage the "yoof" vote, apparently.

How long before we see Big Brother styled election evictions?

Bertie or Enda. Who Goes? YOU decide!

That would be cool ! And we could all stand outside Leinster House and boo, jeer and throw rotten fruit at them when they are evicted.

Comment

Originally posted by jmccoy

Now that's a good idea, true electronic and convenient voting. Maybe RTE can provide this whenever they decide to go digital. Would have to be as secure as Fort Knox though.
                          RTE, the same RTE who give Pat Kenny a million a year?

If that day ever comes I'll be manning the barricades and declaring a fifth siege of Limerick.
                          It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
                            Originally posted by jmccoy

RTE, the same RTE who give Pat Kenny a million a year?

If that day ever comes I'll be manning the barricades and declaring a fifth siege of Limerick.

You hardly want to pay Rupert Murdoch for the privilege.

Comment

I think it's safe to say I don't trust anyone to be more honest than a simple slip of paper dropped into a secure box and counted before the eyes on any public who wish to see. If you want faster results, hire more counters.

Comment

Working...
                              X