Should the Gardaí be armed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should the Gardaí be armed?

<DIV>I heard on the news this morning that arms seized over the weekend were intended for Limerick gangs. The arms being purchased by these gangs included rocket propelled grenade launchers[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]. How on earth are the Gardaí supposed to fight crime against guys who are so heavily armed? </DIV>
    <DIV>The arguement that "they shouldn't be armed because the criminals will get bigger guns" seems to be null and void after such a find, they already have bgger funs. </DIV>
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    Undediced
    0%
    <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
    http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
    </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

No, armed police breeds more armed criminals, there are special armed devisions of the Gardai anyway arent there.

Comment

No. We should never have dropped the death penalty for killing a uniformed Gardai.

Not that I would want the sentance carried out but it would mean life behind bars until carried out in a wooded box.
      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

<DIV>
        Originally posted by Kerry-Exile
        No, armed police breeds more armed criminals, there are special armed devisions of the Gardai anyway arent there.
        </DIV>
        <DIV></DIV>
        <DIV>The ERU are armed alright, but they are a very small division of the Gardaí (I think). Criminals are already armed, every 2nd scumbag in limerick has a gun at this stage, they're so easy get these days. Sure a fella knocked on the door of my parents house a few weeks ago and offered to sell a gun to my dad. Door to door gun sales eh?</DIV>
        </a>

Comment

agree with Kerry- Exile. Also, the guards are not a target of the drugs gangs. As soon as guards start killing or shooting gang members then that entente cordiale will be broken and there will be a lot more killing.

Here's the article on the weapons find in Cork, which Gardai say they believe was intended for use in the feud in Limerick.

<h1>Men to appear in court after seizure of
          weapons</h1>

Barry Roche, Southern Correspondent, Cork<div class="img_left_with_capti&#111;n">

Photograph: The Irish Times</div>

Two men are due to appear in court this morning in connection
          with the seizure of a substantial quantity of high-powered weaponry
          which gardaí believe was destined for one of the drugs gangs
          embroiled in a feud in Limerick.

Up to 60 armed detectives from Cork and Limerick, along with
          officers from the Crime and Security Branch, the Emergency Response
          Unit and the National Surveillance Unit, were involved in the
          operation which culminated in the seizure of weapons and cash at
          two Cork hotels.

According to Garda sources, the sting-type operation involved
          gardaí seizing a substantial quantity of cash - believed to be
          over €40,000 - and arresting a man in his 20s from
          Ballincollig at the Rochestown Park Hotel at around 10pm on Friday
          night.

A short time later, detectives arrested a man from Tullamore, Co
          Offaly, in the car park of the Ibis Hotel at Dunkettle in Glanmire,
          where officers recovered a large haul of weaponry.

Detectives recovered some two dozen weapons in total from a
          large van driven by the man.

The weapons included high-powered pistols with silencers, a
          number of AK47 assault rifles and other assault rifles, some
          submachine guns, as well as two RPG 7 grenade launchers.
          Gardaí were tight-lipped about the origin of the weapons, but
          it is believed the pistols were sourced in Europe and brought in
          with drug shipments through Dublin, while they believe the rifles,
          submachine guns and grenade launchers, which can fire grenades over
          1,000m, may have come from the UK.

The pistols were hidden in sportsgear bags while the rifles,
          submachine guns and grenade launchers were wrapped in plastic bags.
          They have all been sent to Dublin for forensic and ballistic
          examination in a bid to try and trace their origin and to establish
          if any have been used in crime in this country.

It is understood the operation involved close surveillance of
          suspects over the past few days and members of the ERU moved into
          position at Mayfield and Douglas Garda station on Friday evening in
          anticipation of the consignment being delivered to Cork
          contacts.

The operation, which also involved the Garda helicopter and
          airplane, continued when armed detectives raided a house in
          Ballincollig later on Friday night and arrested a man in his 20s -
          a brother of the man arrested in the Rochestown Park Hotel.

All three men were arrested under Section 30 of the Offences
          against the State Act which allows gardaí detain suspects for
          up to 48 hours. The two men arrested at the two hotels were brought
          to the Bridewell Garda station for questioning and both are due to
          appear at Cork District Court today.

Meanwhile, the man arrested in Ballincollig was brought to
          Togher Garda station where he was held for two days before being
          released without charge at around 8pm last night and gardaí
          will now prepare a file with regard to his involvement in the
          operation.

Gardaí are also to prepare a file in respect of a woman in
          her 20s.
          © 2007 The Irish Times

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry-Exile

Thats the way I look at it too. anyone caught in posession of an unlicenced gun should be locked up and the key thrown away.
            Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

Comment

Gardaí were tight-lipped about the origin of the weapons, but it is believed the pistols were sourced in Europe and brought in with drug shipments through Dublin, while they believe the rifles, submachine guns and grenade launchers, which can fire grenades over 1,000m, may have come from the UK.

Im probably off the mark here but I cant avoid the feeling that this could be part of the decommissioning process despite what is reported above.
              Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

There's a fair few armed Guards around anyway, all the plain clothes ones have weapons. Normal beat &amp; traffic cops have stab-vests now, and they're also probably getting pepper sprays and us style batons as well,

Comment

<DIV>Batons? that'll be helpful.</DIV>
                  <DIV>"hey you with the gun, stop or i'll beat you with my telescopic baton"</DIV>
                  </a>

Comment

How is it that these grenade launchers are always found and not once have they been used (as far as I know), methinks the scobes are biting off more then they can chew

Comment

Originally posted by Ruck
                      <div>Batons? that'll be helpful.</div>
                      <div>"hey you with the gun, stop or i'll beat you with my telescopic baton"</div>
                      Again, you're suggesting that the guards are coming across people with guns in the course of their work. Where is the evidence for this? As far as i know, the guns are being used to shoot other gang members, so arming the guards is a red herring, it neither serves to protect them (as they are not under threat by guns) or catch the criminals.

Comment

Originally posted by beir bua
                        <DIV>"hey you with the gun, stop or i'll beat you with my telescopic baton"</DIV>
                        <DIV>
                        Again, you're suggesting that the guards are coming across people with guns in the course of their work. Where is the evidence for this? As far as i know, the guns are being used to shoot other gang members, so arming the guards is a red herring, it neither serves to protect them (as they are not under threat by guns) or catch the criminals.
                        </DIV>
                        <DIV></DIV>
                        <DIV>You're right, but I personally think that it's only a matter of time before it happens and a guard will be unable to defend himself or protect the innocent.</DIV>
                        </a>

Comment

Arm our Keystone cops with guns? [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                          My computer thinks I'm gay
                          What's the difference anyway
                          When all the people do all day
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

<DIV>
                            </DIV>
                            <DIV></DIV>
                            <DIV>You're right, but I personally think that it's only a matter of time before it happens and a guard will be unable to defend himself or protect the innocent.</DIV>

The Gardai in Limerick have come under fire in the line of duty many times. Its not a secret either as it has been reported on numerous occassions by the local press.

In this day and age a Garda should have suitable means of protecting themselves and others. Even if they aren't allowed a gun, they should at least be given a Taser or other effective non-lethal weapons.
                            "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by jmccoy
                              <DIV>
                              </DIV>
                              <DIV></DIV>

The Gardai in Limerick have come under fire in the line of duty many times. Its not a secret either as it has been reported on numerous occassions by the local press.

In this day and age a Garda should have suitable means of protecting themselves and others. Even if they aren't allowed a gun, they should at least be given a Taser or other effective non-lethal weapons.

Every guard I've seen of late have been wearing bullet proof vests[img]smileys/surprised.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X