Cambridge Analytica, Facebook, use of data and the reshaping of politics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cambridge Analytica, Facebook, use of data and the reshaping of politics

There had been rumblings for a long time, but this all seems to be coming to a head now with the joint investigation/exposé carried out by the Observer newspaper and Channel 4 news.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...x-bannon-trump

For more than a year we’ve been investigating Cambridge Analytica and its links to the Brexit Leave campaign in the UK and Team Trump in the US presidential election. Now, 28-year-old Christopher Wylie goes on the record to discuss his role in hijacking the profiles of millions of Facebook users in order to target the US electorate.
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...er-data-breach

Facebook and the analytics company that worked with Donald Trump’s election team have come under mounting pressure, with calls for investigations and hearings to explain a vast data breach that affected tens of millions of people.

In Britain, the head of the parliamentary committee investigating fake news accused Cambridge Analytica and Facebook of misleading MPs after revelations in the Observer that more than 50m Facebook profiles were harvested and used to build a system that may have influenced voters in the 2016 presidential campaign.
    The in-depth reporting tonight on Channel 4 news is a detailed, but merely introductory exposé of Cambridge Analytica and of the people who run it, raising important questions about their activities and their methods.

I think this one has a long way to run yet.
    Tis but a scratch.

If they are smart - and I think they are - they will have shredded pieces of hard drives thrown in several different land fills.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

The evil genius behind Cambridge Analytica has just been hired by the 'pro life' campaign in Ireland to fight the repeal if the 8th amendment.

So lads, don't forget your sisters and daughters when they're manipulating you on facebook, snapchat and twitter.
      Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Yesterday's Channel 4 report!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpbeOCKZFfQ&t=31s

Comment

This is a little old, but well worth following:

Clean up who has access to your social media accounts ..

https://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/...-to-your-data/
          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I'm not sure this is as big a deal as the Graun are making it out to be, yet. There are definitely questions to answer around the legality of the data gathered by Global Science Research but as far as analytics and targeted advertising goes, that's been going on for years. Obama's campaign used targeted ads very effectively in 2008 and 2012.

The honey-trap stuff is a good bit more interesting.
            "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

More to come on CA later. Seems that all of this is based on the work that Carol Cadwallader was doing at the Guardian, but they handed over the story to C4 and the NYT to break it bigger.

Apparently the next instalment features the CEO detailing how they won the election for Trump.

The flat out entrapment stuff is a godsend though. I honestly think the stuff they've been doing around big data is so far beyond people's understanding that the story would have struggled to connect.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                I'm not sure this is as big a deal as the Graun are making it out to be, yet. There are definitely questions to answer around the legality of the data gathered by Global Science Research but as far as analytics and targeted advertising goes, that's been going on for years. Obama's campaign used targeted ads very effectively in 2008 and 2012.

The honey-trap stuff is a good bit more interesting.
                It is a big deal, I think, but for pretty obscure reasons. The Obama campaign put out targeted Obama messages to audiences who'd expressed an interest in the issues by signing up to particular groups etc.

This group have been using a seemingly innocent personality quiz to harvest the friends lists of of huge numbers of users, and a ream of data for other apps.

I think the real pay off though comes when it becomes clear how that data was used.

The most likely outcome of this, I think, is that it connects with what people already know about bots etc, and that it becomes clear that they are in the business of distributing unattributable propaganda and fake news, targeted through the use of stolen data.

I don't see what else an outfit like them will be doing with it.

But they're already being credited with "take back control", apparently...
                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

They refute the allegations, they were only testing the potential clients ethics by saying all that stuff to weed out any illegal activity. I'm sure they planned to report him to the relevant authorities
                  "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Even though seven weeks after meeting him to "test his ethics", they were still chasing up the contact to see how he wanted to proceed, and somehow didn't get round to reporting him to the relevant authorities throughout that period ...
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                      Even though seven weeks after meeting him to "test his ethics", they were still chasing up the contact to see how he wanted to proceed, and somehow didn't get round to reporting him to the relevant authorities throughout that period ...
                      See how committed they are to exposing wrongdoing?

Comment

Careful, we might be at risk of exposing their true identities. Must be hard for them these days getting changed into their superhero outfits, what with all the phone boxes that have been removed.
                        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

This is a fascinating time. Regarding the micro-targeting, it seems much of what could have been communicated was complete bull****, utter lies, sent to either discredit one cause or promote another. We already know people in certain circumstances are very open to being manipulated. What makes the voting process exempt?

We have been fed certain narratives for why Trump was elected, or why people voted for Brexit. But what if the real cause for one or other or both was not anger or frustration at mainstream politics, but a massive (disinformation) campaign, waged by clever people who have damn-near perfected a means of motivating a substantial body of people to vote in a desired way? What then for online advertising, and for democracy in its current form?

Comment

Simply saving the taxpayers money by pursuing the villains themselves using their former Mi5 and Mi6 operatives that they have available. And for their trouble they are getting slated with fake news. Shocking stuff altogether

I mean it they were obviously lying to the potential client when they spoke of managing specific political campaigns and even writing speeches, using shell companies for the contracts, former mi5 and mi6 intelligence gatherers, bringing girls on holiday to a country to be used in dodgy operations and not just any girls, ukranian girls specifically

all very standard off the cuff stuff
                            "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by bugler View Post
                              This is a fascinating time. Regarding the micro-targeting, it seems much of what could have been communicated was complete bull****, utter lies, sent to either discredit one cause or promote another. We already know people in certain circumstances are very open to being manipulated. What makes the voting process exempt?

We have been fed certain narratives for why Trump was elected, or why people voted for Brexit. But what if the real cause for one or other or both was not anger or frustration at mainstream politics, but a massive (disinformation) campaign, waged by clever people who have damn-near perfected a means of motivating a substantial body of people to vote in a desired way? What then for online advertising, and for democracy in its current form?
                              In some ways, it's only an extension of what's been going on with the press for years.

Ultimately, a functioning Democracy is dependent on 2 things:

1) Free availability and distribution of accurate information upon which voters can base their judgements

2) Transparent and accountable politicians who are answerable to those voters

We have a system in which information is controlled and distributed almost solely by corporations, and in which its increasingly clear that elected representatives are accountable to special interests either through blackmail or outright purchase.

Any analysis of an electoral phenomenon that begins with the notion that a large swathe of people have somehow come collectively and simultaneously to an objective judgement is a bit naive I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X