penalty points

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

penalty points

just wondering if anyone on here knows anything about penalypoints and your insurance. I have somehow managed to get 4 penalty points in 1 month after many years of driving. The first was for speeding (caught fair and square),the second for crossing over a junction to go down a slip road by mahon shopping centre in cork (load of crap)

Does anyone know do I have to tell my insurace company that i have 4 points? What if i don't?

It's ok to have 2 but afaik you have to tell them when you have 4. Is this corect? How much does your insurance go up by? Anybody know any way of getting away with it?!

thanks for any help

bit of a stones alright second one sounds like a load of crap.you dont have to tell your insurance company but if u do have a crash they can check it up and screw you.They cant check it at the moment when u goin for insurances. My sister also has 4 points and made no difference to her premium it dropped even, when she renewed it but then again they discriminate against fellas.

Comment

When you get the official confirmation letter of your points then you @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">should@@@@/SPAN> tell your insurance company. It's part of the terms. they'll def ask you how many you have when you renew.

However, the good news, most accept up to 4 points without penalty, so you should be fine. If you do get an increase, ring round get other qoutes.

Comment

<DIV>How long do points last on a license?</DIV>
        <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
        http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
        </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

Comment

3 years

Comment

1 year down for the 2 points on my license then. Got 2 points for doing 80 in a 60 the morning of the quarter finals last year.
            </a>

Comment

Points start from date of letter, usually dated month after offence.

Comment

Yeah, I got the letter notification about a week after the semi actually.
                </a>

Comment

yeah it's a right balls. i'm going down the local superintendent to kiss his ass next week. don't expect it to work but i'll give it a shot.

and i'd bought a bike that day as i had decided to get back cycling. typical. just hope it does not affect the insurance. think it depends on the actual insurer whether they'llpenalise me for the 4 points. the insurance is paid up for the whole year sonot sure they can increase it till next year.anybody know is this is true?

the only positive is that the 3 years for the 2nd 2 points will be at the same time as the first 2.

Comment

4 points may or may not affect your premiums.

It will with Hibernian (but nothing horrendous), but won't with several others.

Comment

I got caught for 2 penalty points in rathduff down near mallow (pretty much shooting fish in a barrell there) in june last year...the letter didn't arrive til November and the points are effective from November. I rang the department and they said that they have a turnaround of 2 weeks from when they get notification from the Gardai of the offence. so it took the gardai 6 months to notify the department.. so in effect I have 3 year six months to wait after the offence before the points are gone...bunch of bungling muppets!
                      On the internet, you can be anything you want. It always amazes me why so many people choose to be stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom

yeah it's a right balls. i'm going down the local superintendent to kiss his ass next week. don't expect it to work but i'll give it a shot.

and i'd bought a bike that day as i had decided to get back cycling. typical. just hope it does not affect the insurance. think it depends on the actual insurer whether they'llpenalise me for the 4 points. @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">the insurance is paid up for the whole year sonot sure they can increase it till next year.anybody know is this is true?@@@@/SPAN>

the only positive is that the 3 years for the 2nd 2 points will be at the same time as the first 2.
                        No they can stick an extra premium on, as circumstances(points) have changed.

However nothing to stop you changing insurer if you can get a better/cheaper deal mid-stream

Comment

got 2 lately (on my birthday, f**kers!) for not wearing seatbelt on a 500 metre journey, max speed 20mph ... outside the law, i accept, but discretion should really apply in cases like this.

Just got back to Limerick from Ennis a few minutes ago and currently the cops are well set up on the dual carriageway between Ennis and Shannon catching guys doing 110kph in glorious driving conditions. Watch out!!

Comment

They won't generally do you at an indicated 110kph, mainly due to speedo error.

Comment

thanks Robbie

At this rate I'll be off the road by June anyway so it might not matter! I'll get back on the bike.

Sneaky cop was waiting down the hill for us. Pulled in 3 of us.Lined us up and picked us off

Comment

Working...
                              X