Convert tv to computer monitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert tv to computer monitor

Is there anything that can be done to a tv to legally convert it to a monitor?
    I don't feel like paying for tv licence when all the thing's used for is netflix.

Originally posted by Fantom View Post
    Is there anything that can be done to a tv to legally convert it to a monitor?
    I don't feel like paying for tv licence when all the thing's used for is netflix.
    No, the TV licence covers pc's as they can view rte player etc. It's effectively a broadcast licence.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok thanks, I didn't know that was the case. There was a time when the cost of broadcasting was so high in terms of infrastructure and what have you that RTE made sense. In an era of social media I don't think it can be justified any longer

Comment

Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post
        No, the TV licence covers pc's as they can view rte player etc. It's effectively a broadcast licence.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I think that this is wrong. That's how it is in the UK and how Pat Rabbitte wanted to make it here but it never happened

However, before you get excited that this might apply to you, it doesn’t. Not even remotely. According to An Post, which is charged with collecting the fee, if you have a television, you must have a television licence – even if you don’t actually watch what is termed “television” on it. So it doesn’t matter whether you sit down every day to watch the Six O’Clock News or only watch DVDs or Netflix or pre-recorded material on it – you must have a licence.
        But if you forgo your television, and instead opt to get your entertainment fix on a laptop or desktop computer, or even your iPad, using any of the aforementioned methods then you may find yourself complying with the law if you don’t have a licence. At least for now. However Pat Rabbitte, as the Minister for Communications, is hell-bent on making everyone pay.
        The above quote is from the Irish Times back in 2013 and I don't think that the law has changed since.

A clear picture: the truth and myths about the TV licence

So I'm wondering what constitutes a tv from legal perspective. How does it legally differ from a computer monitor?

Comment

Bit more clarification.

citizens advice website

If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it.

You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, the computer must not be able to receive a signal distributed by conventional television broadcasting networks, for example, cable, satellite or aerial.

The Broadcasting Act 2009 states:

"146 (3) An officer of an issuing agent may enter at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there and a television licence is for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place authorising the keeping of a television set at the premises or specified place."

BTW the situation in the UK differs in a number of respects as I understand it.
          You can make a declaration that you are no longer watching television, keep your tv and not pay a licence.
          Watching tv on any device requires a licence.
          Inspectors have never had the right to demand entry they could only request it and you have the right to refuse entry.

It's pretty extraordinary that in this country, someone can just turn up on your doorstep and demand entry for a root around.

Comment

Working...
          X