We need to talk about Japanese Knotweed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need to talk about Japanese Knotweed

Took a quick break down to Kenmare yesterday. From Loo Bridge to Healy Rae land there were huge infestations of knotweed along the road. Nowhere near a stream or river. Make what you will of that. Then in Kenmare itself we took a quick walk down to the river near the co-op and there were huge clumps of it growing out of the riverbank. It will end up damaging the adjacent houses in no time if left unchecked not to mention any potential damage to the riverbank which could give rise to a flood issue.

Driving the highways and byeways of Whest Cark for the last couple of years it's disappointing to see this pernicious plant take root. It's high time people took responsibility for this and I do think that there needs to be some kind of national action to target and hopefully eradicate it. Unfortunately I think it will end up falling to the banks/insurers to take the lead.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

How do you eradicate the fecking stuff? It seems to be indestructible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Think you more or less have to inject glyphosate (Roundup) into the individual stems - it's time-consuming, costly and hugely labour intensive. From what I've read, persistent spraying can work over a few years, but kills everything as well as the knotweed and as well as being toxic to other plants (and potentially carcinogenic for humans), the stuff doesn't break down in the soil anywhere as quickly as Monsanto would have you believe. Plus it's only effective on JK at certain times of year - now is possibly too late, because as leaves start to wither they don't draw the poison down to the roots.
      Round here it seems to be bindweed and mare's tail which are more prolific - haven't seen much in the way of JK or giant hogweed. All are a curse.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

I got a God awful scorching from hogweed when I was young. I'll never forget the blisters.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
        "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

I suppose Japanese knot weed beside roads would also undermine them. fierce amount of road maintenance required indefinitely. great business if you were stuck in that business in that area.
          Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

It's an absolute fupper to get rid of. At work, on one of our schemes, we've spent well over a hundred grand in the last few years and can't get rid of it.
            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I saw a piece on Countryfile over here where they were suggesting introducing an insect that feeds on it but that was a few years ago and doesn't seem to have come to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

From Mayo County Councils website

It is important to always to seek professional advice or professional services before tackling Japanese Knotweed
                When dealing with Japanese Knotweed it is more of a case of what not to do…
                • Do not strim, cut, flail or chip the plants as tiny fragment can regenerate new plants and make the infestation harder to control
                • Do not attempt to dig out Japanese Knotweed, this can actually encourage the plant into growing faster, therefore colonising an area more aggressively
                • Do not move or dump soil which may contain plant material as this may also add to its spread.
                • Do not attempt to pull the plant out of the ground, as this can expose part of the infectious crowns, stimulating growth
                • Do not use unlicensed herbicides close to any watercourses, plants or wildlife
                • Do not compost any part of the plant as due to the resilient nature of knotweed it could survive and grow on when the compost is ready for use
                • Do not dispose of Japanese Knotweed in garden waste allotments as this just transport the plant to new locations
                • Do not spread any soil that has been contaminated with Japanese Knotweed rhizome as new plants will sprout

Do not do break the law – Remember it is an offence if you cause the spread of Japanese Knotweed either intentionally or unintentionally.
                Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Jesus. Add it to the list of Cher and cockroaches as something that will survive the (impending) nuclear holocaust!
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                    From Mayo County Councils website

It is important to always to seek professional advice or professional services before tackling Japanese Knotweed
                    When dealing with Japanese Knotweed it is more of a case of what not to do…
                    • Do not strim, cut, flail or chip the plants as tiny fragment can regenerate new plants and make the infestation harder to control
                    • Do not attempt to dig out Japanese Knotweed, this can actually encourage the plant into growing faster, therefore colonising an area more aggressively
                    • Do not move or dump soil which may contain plant material as this may also add to its spread.
                    • Do not attempt to pull the plant out of the ground, as this can expose part of the infectious crowns, stimulating growth
                    • Do not use unlicensed herbicides close to any watercourses, plants or wildlife
                    • Do not compost any part of the plant as due to the resilient nature of knotweed it could survive and grow on when the compost is ready for use
                    • Do not dispose of Japanese Knotweed in garden waste allotments as this just transport the plant to new locations
                    • Do not spread any soil that has been contaminated with Japanese Knotweed rhizome as new plants will sprout

Do not do break the law – Remember it is an offence if you cause the spread of Japanese Knotweed either intentionally or unintentionally.

So basically all you can do is burn it??

How about a few lads with backpack sprayers filled with 'Agent Orange'.

Comment

It's either excavation under very strict environmental constraints at massive cost or else multi annual treatment.
                      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                        Took a quick break down to Kenmare yesterday. From Loo Bridge to Healy Rae land there were huge infestations of knotweed along the road. Nowhere near a stream or river. Make what you will of that. Then in Kenmare itself we took a quick walk down to the river near the co-op and there were huge clumps of it growing out of the riverbank. It will end up damaging the adjacent houses in no time if left unchecked not to mention any potential damage to the riverbank which could give rise to a flood issue.

Driving the highways and byeways of Whest Cark for the last couple of years it's disappointing to see this pernicious plant take root. It's high time people took responsibility for this and I do think that there needs to be some kind of national action to target and hopefully eradicate it. Unfortunately I think it will end up falling to the banks/insurers to take the lead.

There are far worse things multiplying in that part of the world than weeds.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                          There are far worse things multiplying in that part of the world than weeds.
                          Fianna Fail?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
                          "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Working...
                          X