Motorway Driving in Ireland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorway Driving in Ireland

I've experienced a couple of years of a Northern Irish motorway as part of my daily commute and found it infuriating (lane hogging/lane discipline/lack of indicators) and would drive down south and find it better for the most part which was probably due to when I scheduled my trip.

Recently I've moved home and have a daily commute through Cork city which I find almost relaxing in comparison to my old commute but driving down from matches in Semple and Croker this year has been chaotic. Tailgating in the rain, lane hogging (including speeding up when there is a gap to pull in followed by easing off when they reach the next parallel car), cars whipping out when somebody has left a gap due to not tailgating (indicators only optional at any point in the movement) and more. I'd like to think well maybe people haven't been educated enough on motorway driving, it's not even a practical part on the test, etc but motorway driving is probably the easiest when done right so I just think people turn into pricks in their metal boxes on wheels looking to get one over other users while showing a disregard for safety or manners.

Would like to hear people's thoughts on driving on motorways in Ireland to see it from another point of view.
    Yeah with one foot in the grave and one foot on the pedal, I was born a rebel

Lane discipline is awful as a rule. The M50 is truly awful in that respect.
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

The drive home from Croke Park on Sunday night was one of the worst driving experiences of my life with all of the above being encountered.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
      "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

I blame the gah heads. Everyone one of them full to the gills with tae, tanora, hang sangers etc. Didn't the eminent Danny Healy Rae warn us of the dangers of driving on a full stomach?
        The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

The M50 is awful all right. You'd need eyes on the back of your head.

Tailgating isn't an Irish phenomenon though. Drive in most of southern Europe and they'll try to get in the back seat of your car.
          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I drive the m7 every week and can honestly say that the traffic after the GAA matches has some of the worst motorway driving I've ever seen. It's mostly because they are speeding home to catch the Sunday game.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
            When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

I've lived in mainland Europe for over a decade and driven motorways all over France, Germany (bad for high speed tailgating), Belgium (bad for lane hogging), Netherlands, Austria, northern Italy(bad for serious tailgating). I've never experienced such continuous bad driving as on Irish motorways. Irish drivers simply don't have a clue how to drive on a motorway. Every kind of bad driving can be found in about 20km stretch of road. It is just a case of poor education of drivers.

Comment

Poor and uneven law enforcement doesn't help.

Comment

I've been in Dubland a few Sundays recently and ended up driving down amidst the GAA crowd and while the Cork & Waterford crowd were only mildly dangerous, the Tipperary lot were absolutely lethal. For some reason, those with a TN plate seemed to be the worst,

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post
                    I drive the m7 every week and can honestly say that the traffic after the GAA matches has some of the worst motorway driving I've ever seen. It's mostly because they are speeding home to catch the Sunday game.

Yep I drive m7 every week and the morning and evening commuters like me are generally fine (couple of truckers on phones aside)
                    On weekends especially after an event though it's a disaster and extremely stressful. I think it's a combo of drivers who are not regular motorway commuters and eejits in a hurry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post

Goodness knows the attraction of the Sunday game.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                        Culchies can't program the sky planner and the VCR is broken so long now there's nobody in business anymore to repair it.

Screaming down the motorway in time for TSG is the only solution.
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                          They might get to see themselves in it.
                          When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

I know a man who recently retired. he lived on side of the M50 and he worked on the other. he was in work for 6am every morning home before 4. it wasn't that he had to but he told me that being that early every day meant he wouldn't ever have to go to prison for murdering someone over road rage on the M50. the man was a very reserved, quietly spoken man and never cracked a joke in his life.
                            Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

"Undertaking" - or overtaking on the left is perhaps the biggest single issue on the wild lawless world that is driving on the M50.

Comment

Working...
                              X