Middle East Thread (Gaza Slaughter)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle East Thread (Gaza Slaughter)

I know we have a few threads about different geographical areas (Israel seems to be a favourite) but thought we could have one for the Middle East as a whole.

It's a fascinating area, though I admit to only having a broad understanding of what is going on there. The nuance is somewhat lost on me.

Take the who Quatar situation. I cannot get my head around it at all. Saudi accusing the Qataris of funding terrorism? Really?? Then there is the Al Jazeera angle, which is just bizarre.

Anyway, some background ..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...u-need-to-know
    Last edited by fitzy73; 15th-May-2018, 19:20.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Is this all down to Saudi Arabia wanting to crush any form of pro-Iranian sentiments in its sphere of influence? At this point, because of their status as de facto head of OPEC and their ability to purchase vast quantities of military hardware, it seems the Saudis can basically do what they want.

Theresa May seems to be sitting on a report linking Saudi Arabia to terrorist funding because she doesn't want to upset them. That ****ing moron in the White House just likes when foreign leaders say good things about him so the Saudis have used him like a puppet.

The Western World really needs decent leadership at the moment.
    "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
      Is this all down to Saudi Arabia wanting to crush any form of pro-Iranian sentiments in its sphere of influence? At this point, because of their status as de facto head of OPEC and their ability to purchase vast quantities of military hardware, it seems the Saudis can basically do what they want.

Theresa May seems to be sitting on a report linking Saudi Arabia to terrorist funding because she doesn't want to upset them. That ****ing moron in the White House just likes when foreign leaders say good things about him so the Saudis have used him like a puppet.

The Western World really needs decent leadership at the moment.
      The Saudis really played it well when he did the State visit. Projected him up on the side of one of the hotels, completely stroking his ego.

The thing is though Qatar has a US airbase as well, and they've been good allies of the Americans over the years. Hence they seem to be staying out of this one.

I don't know a huge amount about Qatar, but they seem to be getting shafted in this spat.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
        The Saudis really played it well when he did the State visit. Projected him up on the side of one of the hotels, completely stroking his ego.

The thing is though Qatar has a US airbase as well, and they've been good allies of the Americans over the years. Hence they seem to be staying out of this one.

I don't know a huge amount about Qatar, but they seem to be getting shafted in this spat.
        In a normal situation the US response would be just that. Stay out of this one for now and avoid getting embroiled. However as is evidenced by the below tweets, we are a good distance from normal:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trump-tweets-Qatar.png
Views:	1
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	2492970
        "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Yeah I've a feeling the Trump visit emboldened the Saudis to start this up.

I was doing a bit more reading about Qatar last night, and they aren't without fault. However, compared to the Saudis ....

Comment

My favourite joke after the world cup in Qatar was announced..

Hey Sepp, who's your favourite Qatar player..

Sepp: Eric Clapton..

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3 using Tapatalk
            He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

That joke is so old that only Fred Flintstone would think it was funny.

Oh wait. Abu Dhabi do.
              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

But the court said in a press summary: “This open-source material is only part of the picture.” It said the Ministry of Defence had access to materials such as coalition fast-jet operational reporting data, high-res imagery, and UK Defence Intelligence reports and battle-damage assessments.

“The open and closed evidence demonstrated that the secretary of state was rationally entitled to conclude” the Saudi-led coalition was not deliberately targeting civilians, was properly investigating allegations of civilian casualties and was engaging with the British government about its concerns, the judges found.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...gh-court-rules

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                  But the court said in a press summary: “This open-source material is only part of the picture.” It said the Ministry of Defence had access to materials such as coalition fast-jet operational reporting data, high-res imagery, and UK Defence Intelligence reports and battle-damage assessments.

“The open and closed evidence demonstrated that the secretary of state was rationally entitled to conclude” the Saudi-led coalition was not deliberately targeting civilians, was properly investigating allegations of civilian casualties and was engaging with the British government about its concerns, the judges found.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...gh-court-rules
                  Unbelievable. The UN has said there is widespread targeting of civilians.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-over-uk-role

Comment

Didn't the US move all it's forces from Saudi to Qatar, after the Gulf Wars? Only minimal in Saudi nowadays.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170607_Bases_Middle_East.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	2492979

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc.../#ffa20893dc7e
                    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

It's a blatant grab. Saudi's oil reserves have only a few decades left whereas Quatar has at least a century of gas reserves. Saudi wants to grab that, if necessary steamrollering over Quatar in the process. I suspect last month's change of Crown Prince was about which one would be more hawkish.

Comment

Some good news coming out of Mosul - though the cost of liberating it must have been horrific.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKBN19V105

Comment

Interesting bit of light background reading on the familial links which could be behind some of the tension on the Arabian peninsula at the moment:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...mily-rivalries

Comment

The detention of the Lebanese PM by the Saudis continues to be really weird. He was interviewed in bizarre circumstances on Saudi TV yesterday (https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.76863a308f7c)

In the context of Qatar and the arrest of prominent members of the house of Saud by the Crown Prince it looks as if Saudi Arabia is going to take a far more aggressive stance on Iran. Their sights are firmly set on Hezbollah at the moment anyway and I'd imagine the PM will only be allowed home if he promises to provoke a conflict. Israel would be in South Leb in no time then.

Comment

I've a family member working out there at present, teaching English to third-level students. The college has seconded him to a military base, which is a slightly surreal position for him to be in at present. He was saying that Saudi citizens have been told to leave Lebanon ... but on the plus side, he reckons the prospects of war with Iran before the weekend have receded slightly, as all his class have been given a week's leave. So that's good.
                              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Working...
                              X