Daniel Day-Lewis retires..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's an inspirational man to watch through his films, to listen to in interviews and to see live life through his actions.. But he's decided to retire.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40349669

Oscar-winning actor Sir Daniel Day-Lewis, who starred in Gangs of New York and Last of the Mohicans, has retired.
    A statement issued through the 60-year-old star's agent said he "will no longer be working as an actor".
    It said it was a "private decision" and he was "immensely grateful to all of his collaborators and audiences".
    Day-Lewis, who holds both British and Irish citizenship, won three best actor Academy Awards for roles in My Left Foot, There Will Be Blood and Lincoln.
    His representative, Leslee Dart, said in a statement: "Daniel Day-Lewis will no longer be working as an actor.
    "This is a private decision and neither he nor his representatives will make any further comment on this subject."

Day-Lewis made his screen debut as a teenager in 1971, in Sunday Bloody Sunday.
    He won his first Academy Award for best actor in 1990, after playing wheelchair-user Christy Brown in My Left Foot.
    He then starred in The Last of the Mohicans (1992), In the Name of The Father (1993), The Boxer (1997) and Martin Scorsese's Gangs of New York (2002).
    He won his second best actor award in 2008, for playing oil man Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood, before winning a third award for his portrayal of the former US president in Lincoln (2013).
    He was knighted in the Queen's Birthday Honours in 2014.
    Speaking at the time, he said he was "entirely amazed and utterly delighted in equal measure" to receive the honour.
    He will star in his final film - Paul Thomas Anderson's Phantom Thread, based on the fashion world of 1950s London - later this year.
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

For a man of his talent, it's a remarkably small body of work. A handful of monumental performances, some decent movies beyond that. He's avoided the large swathes of ****e that many of his notional peers have produced, but it's hard not to think that he could have done more. Bar a relative burst of activity in the early 90s, he's made about one film every 5 years.

What's most interesting about him, I think, is that he's never made the same film twice. His most important performances (for me at least) - Lincoln, There Will Be Blood, In The Name of the Father and My Left Foot - are completely different roles in a way that not many actors of his profile have taken on.

Gangs of New York was a panto turn, Last of the Mohicans was fine. Nine is underrated, I think.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I met him, very briefly, on a couple of occasions when I was at the drama school we both attended. He was incredibly shy and self effacing but he always took the time to come back to Bristol to see the great acting teacher Rudi Shelly. Rudi was quite open that Danny, as he called him, had quite serious mental health issues which might go some way to explaining his, relatively, low out put. I hope this retirement doesn't indicate a degenerative health condition. He has been the greatest actor of his generation, I only wish I had seen him on stage, he was mesmerising by all accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by the plastic paddy; 21st-June-2017, 13:40.

Comment

My Beautiful Laundrette was a great movie too, somewhat groundbreaking IMO. Have to admit I hated Gangs of New York though.
        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
          My Beautiful Laundrette was a great movie too, somewhat groundbreaking IMO. Have to admit I hated Gangs of New York though.
          Rudi would have roasted DDL for that performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
          X