President Trump - Season One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
    In all fairness, Trump, as bad as he is isn't anything like Mugabe, or Putin, and Northern Ireland is far from a terrorist infested ****hole.

You might need to accept the fact someday that the American people elected Trump, and while you may not agree with it, the wishes of the people need to be respected, they got the president that they wanted.
    I think he could potentially be that bad, the difference is that the American system has enough checks and balances to stop the president getting completely p*ssed with power as you saw when the judiciary stepped in to say that the immigration law was unconstitutional. Worryingly you also saw how badly he took that.
    When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Respect my authority!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
        Northern Ireland is every bit as much of a terrorist infested sh!thole as the Lebanon and more so than Iran. I was however using the phrase ironically, to highlight the ease at which people can dismiss overlook how these outrageous policies can apply to them. There is a very blasé reaction to the travel ban in Ireland. I guess people have short memories on how it felt like to pass through Heathrow with a green passport in the 80s, or maybe some of you are too young to have experienced that. I feel that young as he is Rory should have some appreciation of the impacts of tarring people with the same brush based on geographic origin.

What exactly does accepting the fact that he is elected mean? I am very aware that he was elected. If he wasn't I wouldn't give a damn about him or what he says. However accepting that he is elected does not mean that every choice he makes must be blindly given in to. This is exactly why people fear his totalitarian streak - "I won so I can do what I like and the rest of you have to accept it".

Perhaps you might need to be honest with yourself and accept that when you begin to think and speak that way you are really dong 2 things:
        - Accepting totalitarianism
        - Tacitly expressing agreement with his racist policies.

If you agree with him (Trump) then stand up and say why so that these views can be challenged and debated. I'm happy to have that debate on substance. Don't go around telling people just to accept his policies regardless of the impact just because he won an election - that applies to any election winner not just Trump.

Accepting that he was elected means accepting thefact that he was elected on a campaign of promises which he is now (trying) to implement. The people have spoken and he, and his policies is what they want, he is not operating on a whim, he has a clear endorsement and mandate from the people of the US to do what he is doing. The mainstream media are operating in the same way now as during the election ignoring his supporters and the people who agree with what he is doing, and plenty of people do.

He has nothing in common with a dictator like Mugabe, who came to and remains in power by far different means, and to suggest similarities only highlights your ignorance of that situation.

You are very quick to conclude what people should and shouldn't be thinking, because I never "tacitly expressed agreement with his racist policies", at no stage did I express any opinion on what he is doing and saying, I'm just pointing out to you that because you are on the losing side of the American election doesn't invalidate the result.

And ironically your trumpesque conclusion that someone who doesn't agree with you must be a racist is laughable.

Comment

The people have spoken and he, and his policies is what they want, he is not operating on a whim, he has a clear endorsement and mandate from the people of the US to do what he is doing.
          Except the majority of votes cast were actually against him, with Clinton receiving the majority. What sort of mandate/endorsement is that from "the people"? That alone should be reason for massive unrest and anger.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
            To be fair, the American people didn't elect Trump (he lost the popular vote). The arcane system of electoral colleges elected Trump.

Everyone has their own version of democracy.

Comment

Senate and House Reps hit hard at townhalls. I think this is good tactic - if they think their seat is looking precarious they'll start to put pressure on Trump IMHO.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...lls-across-us/

Tom Cotton getting bawled out of it:

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...care-insurance
              Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Everyone has their own version of democracy.
                Indeed. I was simply pointing out that you inaccurately said "the American people elected Trump".

They did not.

Comment

Originally posted by CP09 View Post
                  Except the majority of votes cast were actually against him, with Clinton receiving the majority. What sort of mandate/endorsement is that from "the people"? That alone should be reason for massive unrest and anger.
                  Yep, he sure did. But you don't see any groundswell of opinion looking to change it anytime soon do you? Has there been any protests at the electoral college system?

He won the election, the part that counts and he did so according to the rules of the competition which isn't a popularity contest.

Comment

Indeed. I was simply pointing out that you inaccurately said "the American people elected Trump".

They did not.

Well it wasn't the Canadians.

Comment

It was the Russians, apparently, who are also targeting wins in Leitrim/Roscommon in the forthcoming election. Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Comment

Yep, he sure did. But you don't see any groundswell of opinion looking to change it anytime soon do you? Has there been any protests at the electoral college system?

He won the election, the part that counts and he did so according to the rules of the competition which isn't a popularity contest.
                        I'm not disputing that he won the election. I'm disputing the idea that he and his policies got some sort of resounding endorsement by the people and that now everybody should shut up and accept that, when the reality is that the majority of the people voted for his competitor.

Fwiw, I believe the electoral college has to be one of the very first things fixed in American politics (just behind the legitimatised bribery disguised as campaign contributions).

Comment

Originally posted by CP09 View Post
                          I'm not disputing that he won the election. I'm disputing the idea that he and his policies got some sort of resounding endorsement by the people and that now everybody should shut up and accept that, when the reality is that the majority of the people voted for his competitor.

Fwiw, I believe the electoral college has to be one of the very first things fixed in American politics (just behind the legitimatised bribery disguised as campaign contributions).
                          Isn't the electoral college system decided at state level? They could switch over to proportional representation of delegates if they wanted. Not 100% sure on this. I think there's one or two states which do, or used to anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Omerta View Post
                            Isn't the electoral college system decided at state level? They could switch over to proportional representation of delegates if they wanted. Not 100% sure on this. I think there's one or two states which do, or used to anyway.
                            The rules on what they should do are decided at State Level, but the problem is a constitutional one. Smaller states have proportionally more voting "power" than larger ones.

Comment

Trump lost the popular vote by 2.9m votes, or over 2%. He was not elected by the American people. He was elected by the Electoral College.

I'm not sure why you can't grasp that. Or perhaps you have "alternative facts"?

Comment

Trump lost the popular vote by 2.9m votes, or over 2%. He was not elected by the American people. He was elected by the Electoral College.

I'm not sure why you can't grasp that. Or perhaps you have "alternative facts"?
                                He still won. Unfortunately.
                                Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                                Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Working...
                                X