No announcement yet.

President Trump - Season One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great results, at least there’s a chance of getting Trump out of the White House now.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
      What you are are saying makes absolute sense if the US didn't have an electoral college system. But it does.

You could but Attila the Hun as a Dem candidate California, and they'd vote for him. Put him as a GOP candidate in Texas, ditto.

Presidential elections are won on swing states, and in some cases swing counties. Sadly there was very little chance of a swing state going for Sanders over Trump. As much as I think Biden is a bit of a muppet, there is a chance he'll get the moderate voter.

I've been a bit busy recently to read into it, but I have to say I'd pretty shocked as to how Warren imploded. Any views Yantenga?
      One narrative is its because she is a woman....not sure I buy that. I think Trump did a number on her over the whole pochantos thing and that undermined her. But she couldn't even win her home state so you do have to wonder about her?
      she is super smart, very capable but smarter and more capable people have done poorly in the primaries.

Comment

Warren's biggest **** up was walking back on healthcare. It's a bell weather issue for American progressives at the moment. She went from Medicare-for-All to a more "measured and moderate" progression towards.

If she'd started there it wouldn't have been as damaging. But it made her initial adoption of Sanders' platform look opportunistic, and undermined faith in her other credentials. The "not really ethnic" thing played to that too.

Ultimately, though, she's fallen between two stools. She's not as radical as Sanders. She's not as "conventionally electable" as Biden. So those wanting radical change went one way, those wanting a safe pair of hands they think can beat Trump went the other, and she landed on her arse in the middle.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Similarly, Bloomberg failed to convince that he should take the moderate banner from Biden, and so he's gone too.

I don't agree on the "it's because she's a woman" thing on Warren, though that has impacted her campaign. She, like Clinton before her, left it too late to get stuck in because she was busy trying to seem "Presidential" and not "shrill" (an accusation never made about male politicians).

But Sanders lost this race to a woman last time out.

If Sanders hadn't run, Warren would have walked into the final 2 with the "progressive" bloc behind her. Instead, like last time, the "moderates" have coalesced around one candidate, who happens to be a man this time out but is again the establishment democrat with the most fundraising and delegate pull.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

That’s probably the most sensible (non-rugby) post I’ve ever seen you write here Balla :)

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
              That’s probably the most sensible (non-rugby) post I’ve ever seen you write here Balla :)
              Sure 'tis a new decade after all :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                Ultimately, though, she's fallen between two stools. She's not as radical as Sanders. She's not as "conventionally electable" as Biden. So those wanting radical change went one way, those wanting a safe pair of hands they think can beat Trump went the other, and she landed on her arse in the middle.
                That's it really and I think Warren's campaign exposes the huge problem at the core of the Democratic party. In a party not at war with itself she might have been seen as the sensible compromise between the pointless "statesman" living off the reputation of another and the fiery ideologue that may have been too much to stomach for middle America. Hopefully she drops out now. She can at least exit knowing she was largely responsible for torpedoing that odious little toad Mike Bloomberg.

I think when Biden ultimately secures the nomination (having been roughed up by Sanders in 1v1 debates) we'll see modern American politics in all its glory in the Presidential campaign. Two old men with virtually no policies between them cracking insults at each other in debates and over twitter. America is beyond ****ed at this stage.
                "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51759386

Looks like Warren has just dropped out
                  Life is good

Comment

Jenta, you can’t in all seriousness compare Biden to Trump and say they are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                      Jenta, you can’t in all seriousness compare Biden to Trump and say they are the same.
                      There's obviously at least a pretence of decency around Biden, which would put him streets ahead of Trump in terms of electability. But in practical terms I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make to have Biden in the White House. It would somewhat quench the flame lit under open bigotry in America (and further afield) lately but, in a lot of ways, Trump is a symptom of the failure of modern America rather than a cause. Nothing I have ever seen from Biden suggests he has any inclination to address any of the societal or economic issues that America suffers from. He talks openly about compromise with a political party that has fully embraced ethno-nationalism and religious fundamentalism rather than acknowledging that the GOP is lost and beyond any form of compromise. Biden for 4 years probably just leads back to another Trump.

I don't think we should kid ourselves into thinking that Washington DC became a dirty place only upon the arrival of Trump and his gang of grifters either. They spent the Cold War crushing democratic movements in South and Central America. Right up to Nobel Peace Prize winner Barack Obama they were happy to pay kids to sit in a room in Nevada and send drones to bomb civilians in the Middle East. A lot of what Trump is doing is just exposing the true nature of American foreign policy. It has always been "America First", they just dressed it up in a veil of internationalism. Biden has been a willing participant in a lot of what has come before Trump.

That's all without even getting into the Clarence Thomas hearings / Anita Hill testimony too.
                      "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post

...They were happy to pay kids to sit in a room in Nevada and send drones to bomb civilians in the Middle East...
                        Just to dispel some of the myths of exageration, that's not exactly how drone strikes work. Stumbled on this when reading up on Qasem Soleimani.

Informative on the reality of it.

https://theconversation.com/iran-att...strikes-129411

I believed as you did, but I'm glad to know more about what seems to be the reliable truth. Not to say that tech won't evolve to making it actually like a video game someday.

…the Reaper is the only publicly known attack drone now operated by the US military.
                        I spent two years working with two RAF Reaper squadrons to research the people who fly this aircraft. This included watching real-time lethal strikes alongside crews at Creech Air Force Base and RAF Waddington. It also included 90 interviews with people who work with Reapers. Based on what I learnt, here are the key things you need to know about how such an attack would probably play out, and the importance of understanding the role of human military operators.
                        First, Reapers aren’t launched at the touch of a button from thousands of miles away. It takes up to two seconds for a satellite control signal to reach a Reaper on another continent, so such a delay would cause crashes on take-off or landing.
                        Instead, the Reaper has to be taken off within the line of sight of a nearby launch and recovery pilot. This happens in or near the location where the drone’s mission will take place. Once the Reaper is safely airborne, control can be transferred to a crew thousands of miles away.
                        …Once a target is identified, it’s up to the human operators to launch the attack. Reapers are not autonomous, decision-making weapon systems that select victims or choose how and when to kill them. Soleimani was killed by a Hellfire laser-guided missile that may have come from a drone, but it would have been fired by a pilot in a ground control station located in the US.
                        Not a video game
                        …that’s not an accurate analogy.
                        …More important is the human dimension. When Reaper crews have followed someone for days or weeks, their target is not just pixels on a screen but a living human being. Operators watch targets spend time with family and friends and even playing with their children.
                        Crews, commanders and image analysts also continue to watch from above after a missile or bomb strike, conducting battle damage assessment. They see the bits of bodies being collected and taken for burial. They see grieving, devastated family members. And they know it is no game with a reset button.
                        As a result, operating a drone carries real risks. For one thing, terrorists have tried to target Reaper pilots and published a hit-list. But more prevalent is the psychological risk in repeatedly witnessing traumatising events and lethal strikes in close-up detail. A senior Reaper commander has described the impact of this as “far greater than it ever was with a manned cockpit”. These psychological effects are not yet fully understood but the risk is there.
                        As one sensor operator I interviewed said: “If anybody on the Reaper fleet says it doesn’t affect them, then they’re lying. It does. It has to.”

Last edited by Salty Dog; 6th-March-2020, 10:13.

Comment

Looking like game over for the Bern now, pretty much impossible to see how he could claw it back from here. I wouldn't expect to see a contested conference.

Comment

Looking like game over for the Bern now, pretty much impossible to see how he could claw it back from here. I wouldn't expect to see a contested conference.
                            Can't see Joe Biden getting the better of Trump... unless the virus changes everything, which could very well happen. But it was all set for Bernie and a big battle over health care in the aftermath of a traumatising epidemic.
                            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

I’m a lot more confident with Joe as the nominee.

Comment

He’s decided to hang on in, but can’t see him making it, funny how Joe was yesterday’s man only 2 weeks ago, bit like Covid19 he’s come out of nowhere.. and also has the mo.. Trump was always right to be scared of him, seems to be pulling in the Black vote like Obama. Long way to November, still..
                                Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Working...
                                X