President Trump - Season One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
    As I said two pages back, zero chance of the Senate impeaching him. He'll come out of this stronger, like Clinton did after his impeachment.

​​​​​​Bad move in a presidential year, imho.
    Given what is now public knowledge I'm not sure they had any choice but to go down this road. There has to be some accountability.

Clinton's impeachment was more nakedly political, Gingrich wanted a big mid-term swing. When he didn't get it the air went out of the process a bit. Even so, I think it would have hurt Clinton a lot more if he was facing into another election. Clinton was also helped by the fact that most of the dirty laundry aired during the hearings was belonging to Senators as opposed to him, I'm not sure that will be the case with Trump.
    "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

As I said two pages back, zero chance of the Senate impeaching him. He'll come out of this stronger, like Clinton did after his impeachment.

Clinton and Trump issues are very different.
      The public saw the Clinton impeachment for what it was: Cant. And a naked attempt to hurt Clinton over something nasty but not something that really impinged on his presidency. The numbers in favour of impeaching him never went higher than the low 30% (iirc).
      The polls indicate that there are more in favour of impeaching Trump and removing him than those who aren't. This impeachment is likely to push a few more swing voters against Trump.
      Stand up for the Ulcer men

Comment

I agree with your first statement, second is TBD. i think key Dems, and in particular Pelosi are well aware of the pitfalls. Schiff too. Hence the narrow scope of the impeachment articles, and the desire to move fast, get it done, clear the decks for the election.
        Leaving aside the politics I dont think the Dems had any choice but to move to impeach, and there is a real risk (which this process may or may not mitigate) that Trump will go on trying to interfere in the 2020 election. If this isnt worthy of at a minimum an impeachment process than what is? I dont think the Clinton impeachment - as morally repugnant as his behaviour was - was even close to this.
        On the politics its hard to say what the impact will be. I think the public hearings moved the needle on impeachment. Now its a slight plurality. Before Ukraine 40% wanted to impeach. Today its 48-50%. In this day and age thats a big shift. Without public hearings that would not have happened. Trumps game seems to be to make his base impregnable, but its hard to see how his witch hunt line can actually pull in more undecided votes for him. It might make his supporters more likely to turn out but I dont think that will be enough to get reelected. The decisive factors in the next election will be 1) the Dem candidate, 2) the economy.

Comment

I absolutely agree that the allegations were too strong to ignore. However, the Dems know there is zero chance of impeachment actually happening.

The GOP strings this out a bit, and by mid June / July give him a massive boost by voting against impeachment. He'll use this as ammunition all day long against the Dem candidate.

Sometimes it's better to play the long game, and this was one of those times.
          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

So now that the yanks and china have agreed phase 1 of a trade deal does that mean western tv's 24/7 coverage of the hong kong protests stops?
            Quelle surprise rte took to showing daily updates of the goings on in hong kong..

Comment

Politico interviewed some White House operatives on how they see a path to their leader's re-election. Interesting.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...lection-086033
              "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
              Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

I've been watching this commentator for a while now and enjoying his monologues sadly mostly based on reality.
                Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

A closer look

Comment

Satire from The Borowitz ReportScientists: Earth Endangered by New Strain of Fact-Resistant Humans

By Andy Borowitz

May 12, 2015MINNEAPOLIS (The Borowitz Report)—Scientists have discovered a powerful new strain of fact-resistant humans who are threatening the ability of Earth to sustain life, a sobering new study reports.

The research, conducted by the University of Minnesota, identifies a virulent strain of humans who are virtually immune to any form of verifiable knowledge, leaving scientists at a loss as to how to combat them.

“These humans appear to have all the faculties necessary to receive and process information,” Davis Logsdon, one of the scientists who contributed to the study, said. “And yet, somehow, they have developed defenses that, for all intents and purposes, have rendered those faculties totally inactive.”

More worryingly, Logsdon said, “As facts have multiplied, their defenses against those facts have only grown more powerful.”

While scientists have no clear understanding of the mechanisms that prevent the fact-resistant humans from absorbing data, they theorize that the strain may have developed the ability to intercept and discard information en route from the auditory nerve to the brain. “The normal functions of human consciousness have been completely nullified,” Logsdon said.

While reaffirming the gloomy assessments of the study, Logsdon held out hope that the threat of fact-resistant humans could be mitigated in the future. “Our research is very preliminary, but it’s possible that they will become more receptive to facts once they are in an environment without food, water, or oxygen,” he said.

Comment

In spite of Trump weathering impeachment better than many expected so far, it's still a leap to assume he'll win in 2020. While voters are greatly animated by their own economic fate, and the electoral college system is skewed in the eejits favour where states with just 3 rednecks and a coyote have more electoral college votes than California with it's population of 100 Trillion and only half an electoral vote...........the polls are still seriously against him. 57% think he committed an impeachable offence and 52% think he should be removed from office. The support is in the low 40s. I think there's a cohort waiting in the long grass to shaft the clown and get back to normal shenanigans politics.

P.S. The polls also show that about 60% want witnesses and further evidence in the Senate trial.......Pelosi probably made the correct decision to delay it and the pig squealing we're getting from Trump and Moscow Mitch about the Dems chickening out underlined that. With a new slew of WH emails that spell out vividly that Trump was the architect of witholding the money from Ukraine and the WH legal Dept constantly spelling out to Trump that it was illegal to withhold the money and they wanted nothing to do with it............this is a Chinese water drip torture for he undead Moscow Mitch who watches the polls carefully.
                      Last edited by tippete7trees; 4-January-2020, 14:48.

Comment

I want him to win a second term now. I'm sick of it. Burn the ****er to the ground and let him preside as God Emperor over the ashes of American Hegemony. Nuke Iran. Nuke North Korea. Invade China. Invade California. Install one of your chinless sons as second in command and marry your dead-eyed daughter.

(It should be noted that today is my first day back at work after a lovely 2 weeks off, so my opinion may change as the week progresses).
                        "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

I sort of agree with you Jenta. (other than the nuking). The luck hes had in his 1st term could'nt last another 4 years. Let America be destroyed. The % of scum now populating it will likely only be eliminated through catastrophe. When the Russians broke through into Berlin near the end of WW2, Stalin told his generals that the German population was to be brutalized and humiliated to expunge the arrogance that sent them into the war. Germany has been a far better force in the world since that time.

If Trump forces his (former) allies and other major economies to switch from the dollar to another currency such as the Euro, then the Fed won't be able to print money anymore (without value to support it). The deficit then would be totally unsustainable and Yankeestan forced into austerity.
                          Making America great again? Gormlessness on a level hardly ever seen.

Comment

When even your comedians are laughing at you maybe its time to retire?

Comment

A closer look worth watching.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0N1l-3YstA

Hard to see the Orange Zeppelin wriggling out of this.

Comment

Working...
                                X