Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump - Season One

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    Fair enough. The whole question of comparing corporation taxes by percentage is pointless. Inane, even.

    My issue with the US corporation tax cuts isn't about their level, but about who is paying them. Their level can only be assessed versus all other forms of subsidy (which in the US is massive) and contribution.

    For instance, Ireland doesn't have a system where Walmart sets up stores and employs people at below the effective minimum wage so that they get food stamps that they spend in Walmart. Walmart workers, apparently, cost the US tax payer over $6bn a year. While Walmart takes in $13.5bn in food stamps.

    Talk of comparing tax rates with Ireland in that context is just bizarre.
    Not as bizarre as lecturing the Yankees that they shouldn't be reducing Corpo tax when your own country is benefiting from Yankee rates being higher. And not just bizarre - you can add in ridiculous and grossly hypocritical.

    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...eech-1.3310149
    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

    Originally Posted by mr chips
    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

    Comment


      Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
      Not as bizarre as lecturing the Yankees that they shouldn't be reducing Corpo tax when your own country is benefiting from Yankee rates being higher. And not just bizarre - you can add in ridiculous and grossly hypocritical.

      https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...eech-1.3310149
      AG you are repeating yourself. I get you like to be contrarian but if you are not going to engage in any way with specific points in debate you almost look like you are trolling.
      The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
      - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

      Comment


        Balla says black, AG says white and on it goes.
        When things go wrong, blame McGahan

        Comment


          Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
          Not as bizarre as lecturing the Yankees that they shouldn't be reducing Corpo tax when your own country is benefiting from Yankee rates being higher. And not just bizarre - you can add in ridiculous and grossly hypocritical.

          https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...eech-1.3310149
          grossly hypocritical, unprecedented, bizarre and unbelievable

          Comment


            Originally posted by B.A. View Post
            Balla says black, AG says white and on it goes.
            It's an obsession.
            "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

            Comment


              Black and white I can handle.
              Black and "but what about the price of paint" is not adding anything
              The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
              - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

              Comment


                Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
                AG you are repeating yourself. I get you like to be contrarian but if you are not going to engage in any way with specific points in debate you almost look like you are trolling.
                He's been trolling since day 1. Thank god for the ignore button.
                Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                  It's an obsession.
                  To be fair to me....

                  I have disagreed with everyone on here bleating about Trump's tax cuts - whilst ignoring the situation in Ireland - or claiming we are smaller than them so it doesn't count.
                  ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                  Originally Posted by mr chips
                  AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                    He's been trolling since day 1. Thank god for the ignore button.
                    x
                    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                    Originally Posted by mr chips
                    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                    Comment


                      As I said, thank god for the ignore button!

                      Back to matters in hand. The Donald is to give his first State of Union address tonight. He could literally say anything. Reports that he is going to come down hard on North Korea.

                      If he fluffs his lines, we could be seeing mushroom clouds by about 04:00 ...
                      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
                        AG you are repeating yourself. I get you like to be contrarian but if you are not going to engage in any way with specific points in debate you almost look like you are trolling.
                        I get why you might use the 'c' word - but many of my very fair and much maligned interventions are because of the cosy consensual groupthink which keeps getting an airing and the tendency to ignore uncomfortable facts...

                        In fairness there is a bit of repetition by yours truly - but that's often down to deflection and bouts of pin head dancing.
                        ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                        Originally Posted by mr chips
                        AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                          Or they'll look back on this period as a "pre-revolutionary" period of inequality. At numerous points in history when society has been this unequal, it hasn't lasted long.

                          Populist politics is a bell weather as well. I'd say we're definitely in to late capitalism though, at least of this iteration.

                          It's running on fumes now. Completely fuelled by debt.
                          Inequality breds revolution, that is certainly true. However revolution does not often lead to lower inequality and when it does it is often because of lower overall living standards. In as much as we need to end the boom and bust ecomic cycle we also need to end the longer timescale boom and bust political cycle.

                          The simple fact is that no period in human history has delivered such a sustained and widespread increase in basic living standards as the last few hundred years and the last 50 in particular. That is the result of liberal politics and utilitarian economic (in the purest forms of those words). While we need to address the many flaws that have come from those systems I hope we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                            I get why you might use the 'c' word - but many of my very fair and much maligned interventions are because of the cosy consensual groupthink which keeps getting an airing and the tendency to ignore uncomfortable facts...

                            In fairness there is a bit of repetition by yours truly - but that's often down to deflection and bouts of pin head dancing.
                            Group think, pinhead dancing yadda yadda etc etc. Your standard response. The fact is folks like plastic paddy have diametrically opposed views to Balla also but most people respect his views whether they agree with them or not as he is able to eloquently engage in debate and he believes in what he is saying.

                            You, on the other hand, come across as a s*itehawk looking to get a rise out of other posters dragging threads into the dirt with glib one-line contrary responses and googled articles which you seem to have skimmed and assume they have backed up your point. Anyway, we're done. Off to ignore land with you.
                            When things go wrong, blame McGahan

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by B.A. View Post
                              Group think, pinhead dancing yadda yadda etc etc. Your standard response. The fact is folks like plastic paddy have diametrically opposed views to Balla also but most people respect his views whether they agree with them or not as he is able to eloquently engage in debate and he believes in what he is saying.

                              You, on the other hand, come across as a s*itehawk looking to get a rise out of other posters dragging threads into the dirt with glib one-line contrary responses and googled articles which you seem to have skimmed and assume they have backed up your point. Anyway, we're done. Off to ignore land with you.
                              You mean it all off between us? Feck... I'm going to miss you hanging around until there is skirmish and then you shouting abuse - that's clearly your strong suit. xx
                              ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                              Originally Posted by mr chips
                              AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
                                Inequality breds revolution, that is certainly true. However revolution does not often lead to lower inequality and when it does it is often because of lower overall living standards. In as much as we need to end the boom and bust ecomic cycle we also need to end the longer timescale boom and bust political cycle.

                                The simple fact is that no period in human history has delivered such a sustained and widespread increase in basic living standards as the last few hundred years and the last 50 in particular. That is the result of liberal politics and utilitarian economic (in the purest forms of those words). While we need to address the many flaws that have come from those systems I hope we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
                                Liberal politics are not needed for economic growth - although that has been the assumed wisdom as the Soviet Union came and went. China's continued growth, probably overtaking the US in 20 years or so showing that economics is not dependent on grand principles and a totalitarian state will be the leading Capitalist state.

                                The West seems to be still in denial about this uncomfortable (probable) outcome.
                                Last edited by AdolphusGrigson; 30-January-2018, 22:24.
                                ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                                Originally Posted by mr chips
                                AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X