A world without work - the AI / Automation Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A world without work - the AI / Automation Thread

I'm fascinated by where automation is bringing us. Day to day I implement changes which are process improvements but I'm conscious that the improvements free up capacity in teams. I'm relatively lucky in that my current employer sees this as an opportunity to increases standards (as opposed to making people redundant).

However, that can only go on so long, and eventually the process improvements will lead to job cuts. Where to then?

Good article yesterday in The Observer about where we could be headed.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-social-unrest
    Last edited by fitzy73; 9th-March-2017, 14:18.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Life is a pyramid scheme. There's no denying it. We're lucky we are in the EU all those bots will need a life time of safety passes and certs.
    Imagine automated rugby! Actually scratch that...we have it.
    Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
      I'm fascinated by where automotion is bringing us. Day to day I implement changes which are process improvements but I'm conscious that the improvements free up capacity in teams. I'm relatively lucky in that my current employer sees this as an opportunity to increases standards (as opposed to making people redundant).

However, that can only go on so long, and eventually the process improvements will lead to job cuts. Where to then?

Good article yesterday in The Observer about where we could be headed.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-social-unrest
      Where should we go to then or where will we?

Should: Continue to tax the product of automated labour in the way that we tax human labour, but at higher rates. Redistribute the proceeds in the form of a Universal Basic Income, allowing people to find other, more useful and creative, ways of spending their time. In an ageing society, this might free up enough hours to fill the care gap. Or allow greater levels of study and education.

Will: Mass poverty as a global elite seize total control of the capacity for production and wealth generation, hoarded in off shore havens to protect it from tax and protected by militarised drones.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Cynic
        "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Someone will have to reload the drones machine guns, I am applying for that job
          My computer thinks I'm gay
          What's the difference anyway
          When all the people do all day
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Universal Basic Income is a given, I think. There will come a point where we won't have much choice.

I was disappointed the Swiss didn't roll with it recently, but I think within a decade we'll have a number of countries bring it in.

It'll probably be set too low initially to be useful, but as automation picks up pace, I don't think govts will have any option but to make it a livable income.

Where will the funds to sustain it come from? That's the really, really interesting question. Certainly companies won't want to fund extra tax, but ultimately I think the enlightened ones will pony up; after all, without people having an income it's feck all use them having products to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
              Someone will have to reload the drones machine guns, I am applying for that job
              They'll have robots for that. Anyway, we'll all be busy complaining that flanker bots are getting too big and fast and squeezing all the flair out of the game.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                Universal Basic Income is a given, I think. There will come a point where we won't have much choice.

I was disappointed the Swiss didn't roll with it recently, but I think within a decade we'll have a number of countries bring it in.

It'll probably be set too low initially to be useful, but as automation picks up pace, I don't think govts will have any option but to make it a livable income.

Where will the funds to sustain it come from? That's the really, really interesting question. Certainly companies won't want to fund extra tax, but ultimately I think the enlightened ones will pony up; after all, without people having an income it's feck all use them having products to sell.

Very true. Capitalists, by definition, have always existed via the wealth generated from the labour of others, but they do depend on the ability of other labourers to buy the things they sell. On the whole, at least.

I think things will change more than we imagine, though. With 3d printing and automation, production costs will reduce massively in the long term. That will radically change the level required for an income to be livable, as goods and services will no longer have to price in labour costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                  Cynic
                  I left out the bit about time travelling robots to make that a bit more upbeat and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                    They'll have robots for that. Anyway, we'll all be busy complaining that flanker bots are getting too big and fast and squeezing all the flair out of the game.
                    We will also be giving out about the Munster Branch for not spending the extra few quid on software upgrades & Full Comp insurance.

Comment

Continuing the Automotion / AI theme from the other thread...

The effect of today’s technology on tomorrow’s jobs will be immense—and no country is ready for it
                      http://www.economist.com/news/leader...-country-ready

Will a robot take your job? 250,000 public sector admin jobs at risk
                      http://www.wired.co.uk/article/will-...-public-sector

The robot that takes your job should pay taxes, says Bill Gates
                      https://qz.com/911968/bill-gates-the...tr_ai_20170227

Comment

"Within the next 15 years, 248,860 public sector jobs could be taken over by automated systems and artificial intelligence, a new report has claimed."

thats very specific
                        "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Well the Brits like being precise!

Another good read:

Artificial Intelligence, Automation, and the Economy

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whi...y%20Report.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
                            "Within the next 15 years, 248,860 public sector jobs could be taken over by automated systems and artificial intelligence, a new report has claimed."

thats very specific
                            Aye indeed.

It was written by my Chromebook, the cheeky git.

Comment

Originally posted by Red October View Post
                              Aye indeed.

It was written by my Chromebook, the cheeky git.
                              Has anybody checked with the public sector unions?
                              When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Working...
                              X