No announcement yet.

The Anthropocene Epoch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Newsnight fielding a climate change denier tonight for "balance".

There won't be enough room against the wall when the reckoning comes...
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

At least Davies called him out on his bullshit - so often talking heads like that are allowed to just spout whatever they choose. I don't share the optimism of the guy who was in the studio, either.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
        At least Davies called him out on his bullshit - so often talking heads like that are allowed to just spout whatever they choose. I don't share the optimism of the guy who was in the studio, either.
        Optimism is actually essential - there is no point in telling people we're f#cked without being able to tell people that its possible to avoid being f#cked. Nobody listens otherwise - there is decades of evidence to back this up. The secondary problem from that is that in the first instance people hear the cure as being worse than the disease, that also requires optimisms to paint out a vision of a future which is both better than the path we are on but ALSO better than the present.

The falling costs of renewables and electric vehicles make this easier than it was 5 years ago.

The reality is that we will not end up on a 4 degree temp increase - the solutions to avoid that are already being rolled out today. However we may end up with a 2.5 or 3 degree increase. People need to know that this is disastrous and that it is avoidable. People understand that there is a very real difference between being pickpocketed for 50EUR and having your wallet stolen at knifepoint. But people don't understand the difference between 1.5 degrees warming or 2 or 2.5. The report has all of those details. However I've had drafts of it since January and I still haven't read the whole damn thing so the average punter is never going to be able to. That is why there needs to be concerted media coverage of this over an extended period of time so that people can really really get their heads around it, just like drink driving or wearing seat belts or quiting fags. It wasn't the release of major assessments of the scientific studies that changed peoples minds on these things. It was well designed media campaigns based on those assessments.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with that - my grounds for pessimism are less to do with what our capabilities might/could be and more to do with the political landscape in key nations like the US, UK, Germany, Australia, India, China and now (as looks increasingly likely) Brazil. No need to say more about the direction the US has taken. The UK under the Tories is still pursuing fracking, now classifying it as permitted development, i.e. as burdensome a process as putting up a garden shed, after cutting support to renewables and now making noises about cutting the subsidies for EVs. Germany is trying to cut down ancient woodland in order to dig out the brown coal underneath it. China is leading the world in solar and in EV adoption, but is also ramping up coalmining once again. Brazil looks set to elect a fascist who wants to cut down rainforest and kill any indigenous people who get in the way of that - a hybrid of Trump and Duterte.

There was a chance to elect leaders who are more committed to tacking this problem - or at least, less insane - in the US in 2016, in the UK in 2017, in Germany this year, in Brazil right now but it hasn't been happening. For sure, I and other ordinary people can do whatever's within our grasp to mitigate or minimise our impact - I've been recycling and avoiding plastic for decades, using renewables for 17 years - but without collective, collaborative political leadership that's genuinely committed to making the difference it's an uphill struggle to say the least.
          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Chips, I definitely agree with all of that. That’s why it’s essential that yesterday’s report is made a major topic of ongoing public conversation.

People need to know:
            - that on our current pathway we are f@cked
            - that the worst parts of that probable f@cking are still avoidable
            - that taking the steps to avoid this has a range of additional benefits that make the world a better and safer place (less air pollution, less forced migration, less resource conflict). A friend of mine on LinkedIn put it this way yesterday - ppl have to see that the solutions are kick-ass user experiences

only with the above will ppl start voting for those who offer the solutions that they want and buying from the companies that deliver them.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with that - my grounds for pessimism are less to do with what our capabilities might/could be and more to do with the political landscape in key nations like the US, UK, Germany, Australia, India, China and now (as looks increasingly likely) Brazil. No need to say more about the direction the US has taken. The UK under the Tories is still pursuing fracking, now classifying it as permitted development, i.e. as burdensome a process as putting up a garden shed, after cutting support to renewables and now making noises about cutting the subsidies for EVs. Germany is trying to cut down ancient woodland in order to dig out the brown coal underneath it. China is leading the world in solar and in EV adoption, but is also ramping up coalmining once again. Brazil looks set to elect a fascist who wants to cut down rainforest and kill any indigenous people who get in the way of that - a hybrid of Trump and Duterte.

There was a chance to elect leaders who are more committed to tacking this problem - or at least, less insane - in the US in 2016, in the UK in 2017, in Germany this year, in Brazil right now but it hasn't been happening. For sure, I and other ordinary people can do whatever's within our grasp to mitigate or minimise our impact - I've been recycling and avoiding plastic for decades, using renewables for 17 years - but without collective, collaborative political leadership that's genuinely committed to making the difference it's an uphill struggle to say the least.
              Germany is digging up coal because of their stupid policy of shutting down nuclear plants. The environmentalists paradox that one.

Whats your problem with Duterte? He’s just finished cleaning up Borocay.

Comment

Ah no he's great, it's only a little touch of murdering and encouraging rape. Great craic though.
                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Ah no he's great, it's only a little touch of murdering and encouraging rape. Great craic though.
                  It is if you get your news from CNN soundbites.

Comment

Originally posted by desert man View Post

It is if you get your news from CNN soundbites.
                    Do roving death squads and rape advocacy sound more palatable from other news sources?
                    "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post

Do roving death squads and rape advocacy sound more palatable from other news sources?
                      On the rape advocacy as you call it, making crude and unnecessary jokes about rape don’t exactly qualify him as a advocate of rape, but it sounds good. I’d rather he had a better taste in humor personally, but you can’t have everything.

You have to take the death squads in context. Meth use has more or less destroyed the country. Everyone who was stand by (unemployed) was at it. That’s a lot of Filipinos. If u know any communities where meth has taken hold, that’s what the whole country was like. Crime follows. The established political parties gave a **** because most of them are on the take from the drug lords. Duterte ran on the platform that he would do to the country what he did in Davao. Squash drug use and crime by all and any means necessary. Including death squads if necessary. Admittedly it hasn’t worked. Any crooked cop with a grudge has used it to get even. What worked in Davao didn’t work nationwide.

however I have the utmost respect for a man in his 80s who had nothing to gain and will still most likely get assassinated for taking on the disgusting corruption that exists at all levels of Filipino government.

all of the muppets shouting loudest to the international media and UN/ICC are the most corrupt. The couldn’t give two tosses about the average bum in the streets who get shot by crooked cops except to see how much political capital they can make out of it.

but sure as long as we’re happy in the west to condemn him as a dictator, even though he was elected by an overwhelming popular majority without any political infrastructure, then fair enough.

personally, I think he’s what the Philippines needs if it has any chance to progress.

Comment

On the rape advocacy as you call it, making crude and unnecessary jokes about rape don’t exactly qualify him as a advocate of rape, but it sounds good. I’d rather he had a better taste in humor personally, but you can’t have everything.
                        No, he's very much of the opinion that beautiful women deserve to be raped.

You have to take the death squads in context.
                        That's one of my favourite sentences ever.
                        "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post

No, he's very much of the opinion that beautiful women deserve to be raped.

That's one of my favourite sentences ever.
                          I don’t agree that he’s of that opinion. Very crude humor, not more.

Comment

Professor Hugh E Montgomery, UCL.

EPA Lecture at the Mansion House on 6th Nov

Abstract: "It's all astonishingly FUBAR"

Keywords: scary ****, end of the world, death, disease, starvation, war, mass extinction, human extinction

Structure: Intros, 40 min lecture. 40 min Q&A

Very well delivered, but WARNING: No good news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOIf6yb7q5A
                            Last edited by Salty Dog; 10-November-2018, 11:30.

Comment

Interesting article

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-anthropocene?
                              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                                On the plus side...........should see the extinction of the Trumpanzee species.
                                Stand up for the Ulcer men

Comment

Working...
                                X