Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you like your son to play pro rugby?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you like your son to play pro rugby?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/37171363

Insightful article into the business that is pro rugby
    A lion online, a lamb at home.

In answer to the thread title, having seen it close up, i don't think i would. And seeing the way GAA is going aswell i'm not steering them towards any sport in particular. "pieces of meat" is a phrase heard much too often at the butt end of it in rugby.

Comment

Most Dads I know, self incl., would say "no", the dangers of serious and lasting injuries unless the son is an absolute "freak" are too great and the macho world they would live in is different from their peers at school.

Comment

Not unless it was what he wanted to go after.

Comment

Agree with others. It isn't just rugby, it's every bleedin sport these days. From Gaa, to Soccerball, to swimming, to cycling - basically the full remit. They suck up huge amounts of kids in a sausage factory, and hope one or two of them make it.

My son just joined his first proper club last weekend and I hope he plays the game socially and enjoys it, without getting too serious about it.
          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I'd be all for it. By the time the average 8 year old reaches adulthood, the only other choice will be being a Deliveroo driver delivering to Uber drivers, or an Uber driver taking a Deliveroo driver home from work.
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I went into the MMA thread a few weeks ago to give out about gougers taking street brawl thuggery into a cage and parting fools from their money. I had to stop myself after thinking about those who live in glass houses. From an outsider's perspective, how was I, as a rugby supporter any different.? If you didn't know the game or had never seen it before, it looks like last man standing scores with the main aim being to maim opponents as hard and as fast as you can.
              The sport I love is getting more violent.
              Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
                I went into the MMA thread a few weeks ago to give out about gougers taking street brawl thuggery into a cage and parting fools from their money. I had to stop myself after thinking about those who live in glass houses. From an outsider's perspective, how was I, as a rugby supporter any different.? If you didn't know the game or had never seen it before, it looks like last man standing scores with the main aim being to maim opponents as hard and as fast as you can.
                The impacts are getting bigger, but you're less likely to get stamped or punched than you were a few years ago.
                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                  The impacts are getting bigger, but you're less likely to get stamped or punched than you were a few years ago.
                  Cue for Old Dog with a one liner of " you mean since Paulie retired?"
                  Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Well if it is a family member who's dream is to play pro rugby I'd guess you would have to support them in that choice to the best of your ability.
                    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                      Unless you re an All Black, when the usual laws of the game are not applied to you. Heaslip, usually a pacific lad, was driven mad out in NZ some years ago by the refs continuing to ignore McCaws persistent offsides, laying on the ball, turning the ball on the ground with his hands etc and lashed out at him with his boot and got red carded. Reference to the Mealamu/Umaga deliberate, planned and criminal assault on BOD. Now Franks scot free on eye gouging attempt, a more egregious version of that which saw Quinnie miss a Lions tour.

Comment

To answer the 5eight question - no.

Comment

I applaud you for your honesty.
                          Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Both my sons play, the elder is 12 and small for his age, has been up against some lads bigger than MRSC chairmen, but as long as he's happy to do it, so am I, he took a knock last year in a blitz, had to take a week off but came back. As a mini and youth coach, bumps, bruises, knocks, split lips, bust fingers, dislocations are all part of the game. All you can do is hope your coaching minimises it
                            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Cue for Old Dog with a one liner of " you mean since Paulie retired?"
                              Jake Ball came to mind for me
                              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X