No announcement yet.

Solar panels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read recently that Ikea are now doing a combined panels & battery pack for £3000. Don't know anything about the size of that array or battery capacity though, nor whether you can buy the battery separately, nor whether you have to go with them for installation and how much extra that costs (can't see it being more than £500-£600 though).

Once battery prices have dropped a bit, I'd love to get a backup system for here so that I could use all of the generated power at home to run the telly/PC/lights etc in the evenings, rather than sending it to the immersion or to the grid during the day. I can see myself installing another (smaller) panel array along with a battery so that as well as doing that, I'll be able to generate enough power to fuel an EV from home. Once you factor in your spend on road fuel, tax and servicing/consumables over the course of two or three years (plus in your case the absence of congestion charging), a used Leaf or Ioniq is bound to make sense in say 2019 or so, even for someone like me who is normally only interested in the bottom end of the car market.
    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Another annual (more or less!) update - the import-export meter was installed just over a year ago, so we got an email last month confirming what our payments would be for the April 2017-March 2018 period. So it's nice to see this month's bank statement arrive showing a credit of £510 in respect of the feed-in tariff for the power our array generated. The second payment will be around £60 - that's for the "surplus" power we actually exported to the grid, as opposed to what we get just for generating power on site. Since the amount we get for each unit we export to the grid is only worth just over half of what way pay for each unit we buy from the grid, we try as much as possible.to make use of our own power rather than exporting it.

Happy enough with that - the payment doesn't take account of what was generated during the particularly sunny weather we had from the end of April to the middle of July, so hopefully next year it'll be even better. In the meantime, our bills are still a fair bit lower than they had been and with the announcement of another price hike of 14% from next month (on top of a 5% increase last year!), this has turned out to be well worthwhile.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

If you're not getting many replies it's because we're all too jealous here in Zero Feed-in-Tariff land.
        Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Ha! Yeah, I know there are still no feed-in tariffs in RoI. It's a terrible lack of foresight, although I did read not so long ago that there may be changes coming in that regard. Probably as imminent as the Cork-Limerick motorway ...

I still hope that a PV array combined with battery storage will start to make more financial sense for people in the medium term, but that appears to be as far away as it was a year ago. IKEA's battery kit for solar panels still costs nearly £3k (sterling), but I don't know what the storage capacity or discharge rate of that system is. Otherwise you're looking at £4.5-£5k as a minimum, with the Tesla Powerwall costing nearly six grand - there are even more expensive alternatives out there, but AFAIK it's the best value for money in terms of discharge rate, storage capacity and unlimited warranty. With that sort of system, you could definitely think in terms of charging an EV with your own renewable electricity, so when more usable EVs are more commonly available then the return on investment calculations might improve somewhat, as the saving on road fuel then enters the equation. But right now, essentially you need deep pockets to go completely off-grid with renewables, and that seems unlikely to change for another few years.
          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Meant to resurrect this thread a little while ago. If you live in a house built before 2011 in the south, the fact that a grant of up to €3800 towards solar arrays and battery storage has been announced should be a decent incentive for anyone who's even half interested in this, even without a feed-in tariff. I don't know the specifics of how the grant application process works, or any of that - search for SEAI grant, I think.

As a reminder, we got no grant but we do get a feed-in tariff which earns us between stg£550-£600 a year for 20 years (a subsidy which has now been done away with for new installations). Our array cost a shade under £6k including inverter and ground-mounted installation, and if we had a battery - which we don't, yet - it would be sufficient to meet most of our electricity needs for the year, bar the darkest 6 weeks or so. Our array is 3.92kwp, 3.68kW, with an annual energy yield of 3,276.50 kWh, but of course a lot of that gets exported to the grid, especially in the middle 4-5 months of the year. Our billable usage at this time of year has dropped from roughly 9-10 units a day before we got the array to 6.6 units a day according to the bill that just arrived for the last quarter. That's after we've changed from using the kero boiler to using electricity for nearly all our hot water needs.

I browsed through a few examples over on boards.ie and they compare really well with my own setup. Here's a few, just to give an idea - don't know any other details other than what people have posted in this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057898473

4.5kwp solar
            5kw battery
            5kw hybrid inverter
            Eddi water diverter
            Ber rating
            Essential load installation (select a number of circuits to run during power outage)
            €7k Inc vat after grant.

10 x 320w panels (3.2kw)
            5kwh battery
            3.6kw hybrid inverter
            EDDI
            BER
            Essential load installation
            €6.8k after grant.

14 panels (4.2kwp)
            5kw inverter
            5kwh hybrid battery
            Eddi hot water diverter
            Essential load wiring
            Ber assessment.
            7k inc vat after grant.

Hopefully a bit of food for thought, anyway.
            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Thanks for the update, just planning a new build and hope to have solar PV with battery designed in, along with charging for a leaf or similar.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
              Last edited by TokyoCrusaders92; 7th-November-2018, 09:58.

Comment

From what I can tell (but I'm no expert), a Zappi charger is the one to look at for charging an EV. It ensures that the house gets priority if e.g. someone switches on an electric shower. But don't take my word for it!

EDIT - Just been reading through another discussion over on boards and came across this comment from here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...39190&page=10-
                "There is more to the Zappi than just SolarPV integration although the SolarPV piece is the feature they use most to market it... i guess they are playing the green angle.
                It also does load balancing and load limiting which is very important if you plan to have 2 EV's in the house at some point in the future or if you have other power hungry devices in the house like an electric shower where you need to ensure fuses are not tripping.
                I would rate those 2 features above SolarPV but the point is, the Zappi has them all, by default.
                Most of the other dumb EVSE's have none of that and are not that much cheaper."

If it's something that interests you that looks like a good starting point to find out more.

Also, going back to the PV chat - the grant I mentioned above only applies for a house built before 2011 - as you're thinking of a new build, it will have to comply with much tighter energy efficiency ratings and therefore won't qualify. But tbh solar panels would be a pretty minimal percentage of the cost of building a new house anyway.
                Nevertheless, I think it's pretty great that things have changed now so that anyone who qualifies for that grant is essentially getting most of the cost of the battery storage for free. Means getting so much more use out of an array. Plus the cost of panels is continuing to fall, so in a year's time it would nearly be a case of "why wouldn't you?", assuming your home is suitable for an install.
                Last edited by mr chips; 7th-November-2018, 14:16.
                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Am doing a lot of solar work/ hybrid these days normally between 30 to 40Kwp
                  if you can afford them lithium batteries are the best as you can discharge them to around 20% capacity compared to 50% for lead acids
                  if Li-ion are out of your range I recommend the LA gel mat batteries, best system I’ve come across are SMA ( sunny boy/ sunny island ) Other excellent system is Victron combined 6kva with built in Mppt and mains charger and pure sine wave inverter €2500-€3000
                  120-140Ah LA gel is around 250 euros and 3 are more than enough to see you through.
                  install LED bulbs, coming down in price but well worth it.
                  Just replaced 480 fluorescent tubes with LED, has dropped out main office load by 46%
                  Last edited by treatycity1; 8th-November-2018, 21:34.
                  psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                  X