Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSE calm over TB outbreak in Cork

<DIV =storyer ns="">
    <H1>HSE calm over TB outbreak in Cork</H1>@@@@SPAN =storyDate>Friday, 13 April 2007 12:44@@@@/SPAN> </DIV>
    <DIV =story ns=""><?:namespace prefix = rte ns = "urn:rte-search" /><rte:>

The Health Service Executive has said it is satisfied that an outbreak of TB at two crèches in Co Cork does not represent a public health risk to the wider population.

The HSE says both outbreaks are confined to the two crèches and are being managed according to be national and international practice.

It is a month since a childcare worker atPanda Paws Crèche inLittle Island was diagnosed with TB, and within days a screening programme was put in place.
    <DIV id=story_island>140 children and adults working at Panda Paws were screened.</DIV>

Two further cases of TB were confirmed in children at the crèche, and a further four children and one adult have been put on a course of antibiotics to ensure that they do not develop the infection.

The childcare worker had previously been employed at the Nurture Childcare cCrèche at Douglas in Cork city.

Screening there confirmed TB in seven children, while others are to undergo antibiotic treatment. Another adult case was confirmed today, brining the total number of cases at the two crèches to 11.

The HSE has described both outbreaks as 'clustered'.

Dr Rory Lehane, a GP based at Douglas in Cork, says parents should not be unduly worried.

The BCG is a vaccine against TB. It is routinely offered to all newborn babies throughout the country, except in Cork where it is only administered if parents specifically request it.

However, from next October all babies born there will be offered the vaccine routinely, in line with national guidelines, and parents can also request it if they have concerns between now and then.</rte:></DIV>
    "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

So do we need to get vaccinated before we go down to Cork for the match tomorrow then?

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieG
      So do we need to get vaccinated before we go down to Cork for the match tomorrow then?

I must ask the Doctor.. I don't want any consumption.
      "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Ollie's got TB[img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]
        The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

What I will be wearing to Musgrave tomorrow night

Comment

ah you'll be safe enough, just go to the tory top and drink enough strong liqour to kill nay infection
            Raccoons with lightsabers...That won\'t end well for anybody

Comment

Originally posted by michael

What I will be wearing to Musgrave tomorrow night

Where can I get one of them in Red ?

Comment

WELL worth getting your kids vaccinated as the new strains of TB are much more dangerous - resistant to multiple antibiotics. The kid of a friend of mine contracted TB in New York and it took 3 - 4 years to recover from it.

Vaccination is a good thing for all our kids. Including MMR especially now that it has been conclusively proven to be safe.

Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Working...
                X