Travel Insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Insurance

So first family holiday abroad coming up and looking at travel insurance. Cheap enough but given French air traffic thought I better get cover for flight cancellations. multitrip have two levels of this,

Flight Cancellation

The little brother of Travel Disruption! This cover will protect you against additional expenses in the event of a flight being cancelled or delayed for 24 hours by the airline. Refer to policy document for full cover & exclusions.
    Top Tip: Upgrade to Travel Disruption instead of Flight Cancellation for maximum protection.

OR

Travel Disruption

Protect yourself against additional expenses or cancellation costs due to volcanic ash, strikes, natural disasters or adverse weather conditions causing a disruption to your travel plans. With travel disruptions more common these days, this cover will ensure you have more options available to you in the event of a disruption occurring to your flight or public transport. No cover for claims arising within 7 days or anything existing or being publicly announced by the date you purchased this insurance or at the time of booking any Trip. Refer to policy document for full cover & exclusions.

The latter adding about thirty quid. so as it says strikes in the second one does that mean i would no be covered by strikes in the first?

<strangely it also says in the summary that flight cancellation not covered but then in the detail for the Premier policy it says €750 covered> - edit: ignore read that wrong
    Last edited by Hugged Rugger; 13th-June-2016, 14:13.
    "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Are you travelling in the EU?

If yes get an e111 asap. Through the local health board.

On flight delays you will have some protection in EU law.

I have my insurance with the AA but have never tested it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

yes EU, got the e111's already

just the strikes in france im concerned with. im assuming that while theres issues with the air traffic, as there is no official announcement of the dates of my flights im not excluded from cover
      "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Useful info http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...r/index_en.htm

Insurance policies usually point you to the airlines first.

Comment

There's no point in scrimping on travel insurance for the family. Pay the top whack to avoid excess charges, make sure it's a reputable brand and that there's a 24 hour hotline. Please God, it's all wasted money but if you ever needed to call on it you don't want any doubts, delays or demands.

Some credit card companies and banks have associated travel insurance products. Amex IIRC had an excellent travel service.
          Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Askaboutmoney.com is a really good resource. Money may not get you cover.

Comment

i dont mind paying the extra so much provided its relevant to me. basic cover is €21 and it goes up to full cover for €40 or €70 with travel disruption added on
              Click image for larger version

Name:	ins.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	2487652
              Last edited by Hugged Rugger; 13th-June-2016, 14:25.

Comment

One of the things that annoys me about travel insurance is when they ask you if you have private health insurance. I think that your quote might be a little cheaper if you do.
                Well the last thing in the world I want to have to do is to try and work with 2 insurers if I have an accident.
                So for that reason I tick no.
                But then because of the 'utmost good faith' principle that applies to at least some types of insurance I wonder if I am giving them a way of getting out of paying up in the event of a claim.

Comment

I take the multi trip family with laya. Do you have health insurance and check with them or indeed with your house or car insurer as there is usually a discount.
                  Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

we dont all have insurance so multi trip said put no down for that

Comment

I would ring the insurers and ask them any questions you have directly if you can record the phone call do if not note the time and who you were talking to. We were stung nicely in the US this year, we had an internal flight to Florida which was booked well in advance of the insurance being booked (We have used the same insurers 123 for travel for the last 7 years) upon arrival at La guardia airport we were informed that our flight had been cancelled due to adverse weather conditions. We asked and received confirmation of this from the airline, and were offered a refund or a next available flight in lieu (which was the following Tuesday this was Saturday afternoon ) as we had a family engagement we decided to buy a flight with another airline. They will not honour the monies paid for this flight they claim it's an extra flight even though we always take annual insurance. So be careful. We are now with the Ombudsman not leaving this one go!!!
                      They have so much small print we discovered they can pretty much get out of any claim
                      Last edited by trixie; 13th-June-2016, 15:49.
                      Ta an draoicht ar ais aris

Comment

cheers trixie. i hate all forms of insurance. just a pain in the ass

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
                          cheers trixie. i hate all forms of insurance. just a pain in the ass
                          http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-s...teps-1.2676654

This might be of interest to you
                          Ta an draoicht ar ais aris

Comment

Working...
                          X