Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Irish Language & watching rugby on TG4

MOD NOTE
    Off-topic posts moved here from match thread.

Originally posted by dubaicookie View Post
    Some people are really embarrassed by their own culture. I for one am proud of our language, it's one of the things which makes us who we are. There's a bitterness towards the language, from some Mainly because of the way it has been taught in the past, or possibly a hangover from the lower class image associated with its speakers under British rule. . My Irish is nowhere near where it was but after a few minutes I can tune into what's being said. As someone whose partner is a Gaeilgóir , living abroad, it comes in very handy sometimes. Remember the Welsh language was at an even lower ebb than ours not so long ago and it's now flourishing. If you don't like it, tough, it's here to stay and is only going to be spoken more and more.
    I was going to respond from personal and family experience but let me just say you're wrong - about the class thing and, even more so, about Welsh.
    Last edited by mr chips; 5th-May-2016, 11:15.

Originally posted by Pythagoras View Post
    I'm not against the teaching of Irish in school, I'm all for it in fact.
    If you're learning to speak Irish at a proper language school I doubt that they'd waste much time learning by rote or being able to critique the doleful biography of an oul peasant woman from the blaskets or the poetry of some civil servant in dublin missing his home on the aran islands.
    Can I ask what decade you studied Irish in? Peig's been off the curriculum for donkey's years and the syllabus has been reformed several times since. There are still problems with it, but kids doing the JC/LC cycle now have a lot more positive view of it even than I did at the turn of the century.

TG4 can't really be expected to cater its coverage to auld lads who didn't have a good experience ar scoil.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
      Can I ask what decade you studied Irish in? Peig's been off the curriculum for donkey's years and the syllabus has been reformed several times since. There are still problems with it, but kids doing the JC/LC cycle now have a lot more positive view of it even than I did at the turn of the century.

TG4 can't really be expected to cater its coverage to auld lads who didn't have a good experience ar scoil.
      Well Peig went off the curriculum some time in the nineties so you don't have to be a total fossil like me to be acquainted with her.
      And I don't believe what you say about kids enjoying it more today.
      Irish is still taught desperately badly as far as I can see and if anything kids who go to non irish speaking schools seem to have an even worse understanding of it than my generation does.
      A lot of the teachers teaching Irish today have very poor Irish themselves, I think the standard was higher before.
      If the kids have a more positive view I'd put that more down to the absence of the bata than anything else.

I don't expect TG4 to cater for me, but I want to see commentary in english, you know, the way Irish speakers want all services to be provided in Irish.

Comment

Originally posted by Pythagoras View Post
        Well Peig went off the curriculum some time in the nineties so you don't have to be a total fossil like me to be acquainted with her.
        And I don't believe what you say about kids enjoying it more today.
        Irish is still taught desperately badly as far as I can see and if anything kids who go to non irish speaking schools seem to have an even worse understanding of it than my generation does.
        A lot of the teachers teaching Irish today have very poor Irish themselves, I think the standard was higher before.
        If the kids have a more positive view I'd put that more down to the absence of the bata than anything else.

I don't expect TG4 to cater for me, but I want to see commentary in english, you know, the way Irish speakers want all services to be provided in Irish.

Jesus the sweeping generalisations are overwhelming.

"Alot of teachers teaching Irish today have very poor Irish themselves" . . . . . that one is a real diamond.

What % of the teaching population, primary, secondary or third level have you met with and conversed with 'as gaeilge' personally to allow you to arrive at this statement.

How much experience, first hand, do you have of the new curriculum? and of how it is thought in the hundreds of schools across the state.

Comment

The Irish Language & watching rugby on TG4

Have at it.

Personally think the way I was taught Irish was kinda symptomatic of the times I was raised in, just as education continues to improve I think there will be more of a move toward teaching kids to actually talk to one another in Irish instead of pondering what was happening in a poem or book and then trying to re-interpet those ponderings As Gaeilge.
          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post

"Alot of teachers teaching Irish today have very poor Irish themselves" . . . . . that one is a real diamond.

What % of the teaching population, primary, secondary or third level have you met with and conversed with 'as gaeilge' personally to allow you to arrive at this statement.

How much experience, first hand, do you have of the new curriculum? and of how it is thought in the hundreds of schools across the state.
            Can't speak of the new curriculum but the old one probably did as much to damage the language as a few centuries of British rule. I sat the Leaving Cert in 1992 and the phrase "dull as ditchwater" would be one of the kindest things I could say about it. In my experience even Latin was taught with more flair and had a more interesting curriculum.

If it were up to me, Maths would be the only compulsory subject for the Leaving Cert. I'm not really sure what's achieved by forcing huge numbers of disinterested people in to studying Ordinary Level English or Irish for two years.

Comment

Nothing about the Scarlets match here then?
              "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
              Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post

Sorry for the diversion but I am responding not initiating.

I have my opinions and have posted them as such if you care to re-read what I wrote.
                I take an interest in my kids' education, I help them if I can when they ask for it, I hear what goes on in class.
                I have gone through the leaving cert prose and poetry with one of my kids in particular who has a grá for the language listening as she recited poems etc.
                I'm not done with school Irish for a few years yet.
                The book they have today is a lot better, more of a fun story, but it's still a peasant-life based story which re-inforces the impression of Irish being the language of the past and the west.
                I have aunts who were teachers, cousins and a neice who are, I still go to pta meeting several times a year.
                I'd be very familiar with the textbooks on both the junior and leaving cert syllabus(es?)
                That's my last word off topic here.

Comment

i remember starting this thread many moons ago.... same sort of vibe....

http://www.munsterfans.com/threads/3...nguage-fluency
                  He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Guys,

Great Irish discussion here
                    http://www.munsterfans.com/threads/3...g-rugby-on-TG4

Meanwhile I believe this thread is to discuss Munster V Scarlets, ta

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

There should be a red button option for an English commentary, as per S4c
                      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                        Would agree, because that Irish they use in commentary is pretty heavy leaden.

It works for S4C, heck even the interviews with fellas like Marcus or Varley are held in english during the game
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Is there a red button opion (for English commentary) on S4C?

It would be great if tg4 would p provide this service, it would enhance their coverage no end

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                            Even the Alba commentary approach has merit, some commentator hammering away in scots gaelic but an injured player on co-commentary and they interact in english as much as yerman yapping in gael. .

Would be fantastic to hear someone like Felix, or even POM being asked for his thoughts and opinion during a game.
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                              Is there a red button opion (for English commentary) on S4C?

It would be great if tg4 would p provide this service, it would enhance their coverage no end
                              There is on the sky platform. you can also set your Subtitle language to Welsh, & then the audio automatically defaults to English, with no need for the red button.

Comment

Working...
                              X