How often do you buy a newspaper/do you have a digital subscription

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you buy a newspaper/do you have a digital subscription

I don't remember the last time I bought one but it must be about a year and I haven't bought one on a regular basis for years before that. The last to go was the sunday paper.
    Until then I bought a paper most days.
    The one we're most likely to buy in our house is the local one if there's something local happening that we're interested in.
    I don't have a digital subscription.
    Nowadays i look at the papers in the shops and wonder who buys those?

I'd usually buy the weekend times if there's good rugby on. I find I read more stories when I scan over the physical paper than a screen.
    I am the million man.

Comment

February last year when I was in hospital. It kept me sane for a few hours as I read everything.

Now I just look at the newspapers website, and online news.

Comment

I have the IT digital subscription for 16 euro a month. Not bad value as I read every day and the digital edition on an iPad is very readable. I don't have the option of buying the physical paper.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
          I have the IT digital subscription for 16 euro a month. Not bad value as I read every day and the digital edition on an iPad is very readable. I don't have the option of buying the physical paper.
          Open the IT in a private/incognito window in your browser. Then there's no need to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by shanners View Post
            Open the IT in a private/incognito window in your browser. Then there's no need to pay.
            Not the digital edition. And I don't mind paying for good services.

Comment

Buy the IT about 3 times a week, always on a Saturday, and Sunday Times, browse most papers websites, (clear cache to get around paywalls) don't pay for any online digital subs.
              Just prefer a real paper to read, website reading means you never get the whole paper
              Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Get a paper every Sunday. Freshly ground coffee and a Sunday paper is paradise. Otherwise not - plenty of on line info available.
                Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Buy a print copy of times/indo as much as possible. Sunday Times is only paper on Sunday generally though sometimes will get Sunday Indo

Comment

I haven't bought a paper in years. Probably more than 5 years.

No online subs either.

Which, given the state of the newspaper industry, is probably a bad thing.

Every paper who has tried a paywall has reverted fairly quickly, as the number of visitors to the site plummets.

They generally make more on advertising to the masses than on 6 bucks to a few hundred people.

It does mean the likes of the Daily Heil are leading the way though.
                    Last edited by fitzy73; 4th-March-2016, 21:17.
                    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Weekend reading and relaxation for me.

Limerick Leader city edition. IT Friday and Saturday. Times & SBP on Sunday.

I use online during work weekdays when I wouldn't have time or interest to buy print.
                      "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                      Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Saturdays , Times, Examiner and Irish Field. Radio and Net there after for current affairs.

Comment

I buy papers about 3-4 times a week. Love the Saturday papers, relax with a coffee and read all sports supplements
                          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                            I haven't bought a paper in years. Probably more than 5 years.

No online subs either.

Which, given the state of the newspaper industry, is probably a bad thing.

Every paper who has tried a paywall has reverted fairly quickly, as the number of visitors to the site plummets.

They generally make more on advertising to the masses than on 6 bucks to a few hundred people.

It does mean the likes of the Daily Heil are leading the way though.

The IT charging €16 a month for a digital sub seems steep in an internet where so much is free.
                            For starters if all the Irish papers were behind one paywall then they'd probably get far more subs than each having their own and definitely more subs than the current model with the likes of the indo free and queering the pitch.
                            Irish people want Irish news and where are they going to get enough of it for free then?
                            For all Irish national papers I'd pay €10 a month.
                            In coming up at that figure I'm comparing it to what I pay for spotify and netflix.
                            I'd up that to €15 a month if you threw in the rest of the world's press.
                            I'm never going to take out a sub to the washington post, NY Times, daily telegraph or the sydney herald so they might as well.
                            If all the world's english language papers that are currently unable to make the online model pay came together in some kind of spotify deal like that they'd have a pretty strong and synergistic offering as well as the financial resources to set it up.

Comment

I buy the Irish Times every day it's published. I buy "De paper" on Saturday as well.

1€ at work, but I still buy it every day during the holidays.

I have access to papers on-line but I like the physical feel of the paper.

There's nothing like sloping off to the pub on holidays with a paper and sitting up at the counter. If the crack is good, I put away the paper and join in. If not, I keep on reading.

Comment

Working...
                              X