X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting list

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/pr...uencies-509736

Comment

But FFS, bring Eddie Jones for PM!!!!! With him, the Brexit would already be done, Scotland would already be the 28th country of the EU and Ireland would be reunificated! And that, at the speed of the english defense on the pitch and the power of their backben... backrowers!
      The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

Very hard at a constituency level for a BoJo backing Tory to claim that these 19 "blocked Brexit" so it was probably a smart move for them as individuals looking to defend narrow majorities. At the same time the majority of the 19 can also claim that they intended to back amendments in committee stage asking for one or both of a customs union and second referendum on the deal - obviously a handful like Flint have taken the ludicrous "let's just get it done" approach that will play well in the streets but makes no actual sense.
        Good points, but I will add that it was inevitable that Johnson would use their votes as propaganda for "we passed a Brexit deal". Low and behold the next day that's exactly what he did - despite the fact that it was utter ********..

​​​​​Of course we now actually have an extension to the end of Jan, so it looks as though a GE is afoot. The polling is all over the place - I've seen polls suggest a 150 Tory majority to a hung parliament.

A lot will happen in the next few weeks. A GE gives me a bit of time away from Brexit (not a bad thing) as they could stick a blue rosette on Atilla the Hun in my constituency and he'd win.

Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post

Good points, but I will add that it was inevitable that Johnson would use their votes as propaganda for "we passed a Brexit deal". Low and behold the next day that's exactly what he did - despite the fact that it was utter ********..

​​​​​Of course we now actually have an extension to the end of Jan, so it looks as though a GE is afoot. The polling is all over the place - I've seen polls suggest a 150 Tory majority to a hung parliament.

A lot will happen in the next few weeks. A GE gives me a bit of time away from Brexit (not a bad thing) as they could stick a blue rosette on Atilla the Hun in my constituency and he'd win.
          And would currently sit toward the liberal wing in the Parliamentary Tory party.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

If he fails again today, Boris will declare he'd rather die in a bitch than postpone general erection....
            Last edited by JN.Allezdax.com; 29th-October-2019, 09:20.
            The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).

Comment

I wonder will this election be seen as a watershed moment for changes to FPTP? In a 2 party system the FPTP has given the Brits the advantage of stable governments, but if the voters longer have faith in a 2 party system then something will have to give. This has always been a problem with the LibDems in the mix but with the Nats and Brexit Party (who could morph into English Nats in time) the whole system is a farce.

Comment

I think we're witnessing the last few hours of the Fixed Term Parliament Act. The Lib Dems making their support for an election conditional on a guarantee that the WA bill won't be reintroduced is pretty stupid (as is now par for the course in Lib Dem land) - now no one can push the point that Johnson is the only one holding back Brexit by not moving his bill.

Peoples' Vote campaign also seems to be in disarray over this Roland Rudd stuff. Muppets.
                "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Corbyn caves. Election coming. Labour gonna get hammered.

Comment

I can see a Tory / Lib Dem confidence and supply agreement with the Lib Dems brought in by the promise of a referendum. Swinson would sit comfortably with the Tories on the vast majority of issues. The notion could cause chaos within the ERG thought.

Labour need to be crystal clear and united on Brexit policy or they're in for a kicking. If Johnson can't get a government together then a Labour / Lib Dem / SNP coalition is a possibility. Wouldn't last very long though.

The Brexit party will get a hugely disproportionate amount of media exposure relative to their eventual vote because the media like weird bigots saying bigoted things.

I'd also expect campaigning to get messy and potentially violent. Ugly times.
                    "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                      Corbyn caves. Election coming. Labour gonna get hammered.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	tenor.gif?itemid=11789692.gif
Views:	56
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2581741

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                        I can see a Tory / Lib Dem confidence and supply agreement with the Lib Dems brought in by the promise of a referendum. Swinson would sit comfortably with the Tories on the vast majority of issues. The notion could cause chaos within the ERG thought.

Labour need to be crystal clear and united on Brexit policy or they're in for a kicking. If Johnson can't get a government together then a Labour / Lib Dem / SNP coalition is a possibility. Wouldn't last very long though.

The Brexit party will get a hugely disproportionate amount of media exposure relative to their eventual vote because the media like weird bigots saying bigoted things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif?resize=527%2C386&ssl=1.gif
Views:	60
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	2581744

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

I wonder will this election be seen as a watershed moment for changes to FPTP? In a 2 party system the FPTP has given the Brits the advantage of stable governments, but if the voters longer have faith in a 2 party system then something will have to give. This has always been a problem with the LibDems in the mix but with the Nats and Brexit Party (who could morph into English Nats in time) the whole system is a farce.
                          They had a referendum on alternative voting a.few years ago, which was heavily defeated.

In the UK, once you have a referendum on something, it's convention that the same question can never, ever be asked again.
                          ​​

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post

As before the polling is all over the place.

However, I can't see many Tories retaining their seats in Scotland, and they will lose a chunk of seats in Wales and and south west England as well.

In the North of England, they will be beholden to northern voters switching to them. Which, to be honest, I can't see happening in massive numbers. Northerners generally hate Tories.

Then there is the issue of the Brexit Party potentially splitting their vote.

As you point out, Labours inability to have any sort of cohesive message muddies the water. The Lib Dems seem intent on attacking Labour as opposed to the Tories, and already I've seen a few of them declare for seats where the sitting Labour MP is remain.

All in all its a **** show, but a good enough end to season 4 of Brexit: The Brits go mad.
                            ​​​​

Comment

I wouldnt rule out labour doing better than expected.
                              Tories will pitch is as a Brexit vote but Corbyn has plenty areas to attack too.
                              NHS, fair living wage, workers rights , for the many not the few was a good slogan last time out and he only has to point to the erg and also to all the economic forecasts that have said that johnsons deal will be an economic disaster for UK.
                              Corbyn though and labour in general will need to be crystal clear on what they want from any potential deal that they may negotiate if they got into power and if they would put it back to the people .

Comment

As before the polling is all over the place.

However, I can't see many Tories retaining their seats in Scotland, and they will lose a chunk of seats in Wales and and south west England as well.

In the North of England, they will be beholden to northern voters switching to them. Which, to be honest, I can't see happening in massive numbers. Northerners generally hate Tories.

Then there is the issue of the Brexit Party potentially splitting their vote.

As you point out, Labours inability to have any sort of cohesive message muddies the water. The Lib Dems seem intent on attacking Labour as opposed to the Tories, and already I've seen a few of them declare for seats where the sitting Labour MP is remain.

All in all its a **** show, but a good enough end to season 4 of Brexit: The Brits go mad.
                                ​​​​
                                I hope to fup that season 5 is subtitled The Bolshies Return and not More Hot Eton Mess

Comment

Working...
                                X