No announcement yet.

Brexit referendum and negotiations 2016-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Letwin Amendment has been passed. 322 to 306.

Comment

Disaster for Boris as Letwin puts the knife in.

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
        Disaster for Boris as Letwin puts the knife in.
        "Disaster for Boris" begins to sound like a pleonasm... May be a bunch of new englicisms:.. "Oups, sorry, I commited a Boris", or "I BoJoed my exams", or, "My mates at school are nasty, they spend their time to Johnson me!.."
        The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).

Comment

What a shame!

https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/stat...bour-live-news

12 years old is not an age to wear a suit and a tie!
          Last edited by JN.Allezdax.com; 19th-October-2019, 15:43.
          The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).

Comment

Originally posted by JN.Allezdax.com View Post
            What a shame!

https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/stat...bour-live-news

12 years old is not an age to wear a suit and a tie!
            I’d run with some of the comments there - what was 12 year old son doing there
            and why would he walk with with his son through protesters (when he has a ministerial car)

which doesn’t condone the uncivil behavior from the protesters

all rather grotesque

Comment

Uncivil? Perhaps. Still, "Shame on you Mogg" is considerably less uncivil language than "Soubry is a Nazi". And thankfully, nobody shot and stabbed him while shouting "Britain First".
              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                Uncivil? Perhaps. Still, "Shame on you Mogg" is considerably less uncivil language than "Soubry is a Nazi". And thankfully, nobody shot and stabbed him while shouting "Britain First".
                You've been up north for too long - that's world class whataboutary. Even JRM is entitled to walk to work with his family without being abused by a mob.

Comment

What happens next?

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                    What happens next?
                    I've found ignoring it completely very beneficial

On the whole it's mostly monkeys slinging faeces at each other in a big old building in the middle of London for the better part of 3 years

After a while I just thought it wasn't worth my time and effort to stay up to date and that's stood me in fine fettle, it's been noise about nothin.

Gets deal, takes deal somewhere, deal falls apart

Rinse

Repeat

**** that for a game of soldiers
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by JN.Allezdax.com View Post

"Disaster for Boris" begins to sound like a pleonasm... May be a bunch of new englicisms:.. "Oups, sorry, I commited a Boris", or "I BoJoed my exams", or, "My mates at school are nasty, they spend their time to Johnson me!.."
                      How about this?

Click image for larger version  Name:	johnson lebowski.PNG Views:	0 Size:	233.7 KB ID:	2580733

Click image for larger version

Name:	lebowski johnson 2..PNG
Views:	76
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	2580736
                      Last edited by Waterfordlad; 19th-October-2019, 19:35.
                      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Rees-Mogg' son dressed with a flower shirt and a bermuda short?..

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

You've been up north for too long - that's world class whataboutary. Even JRM is entitled to walk to work with his family without being abused by a mob.
                          He is, of course. But I think it's reasonable to point out that there have been two different levels of what you're calling abuse - the above example being comparatively constrained. Unless it happened after the 20 or so seconds that I watched, nobody called Rees-Mogg a nazi, or threatened his safety, or crowded around his immediate personal space to intimidate him as has happened with the likes of Soubry, Bercow and others, or the journalist Owen Jones who was specifically targeted for physical assault.

And of course, Jo Cox is dead. So there's some whataboutery for you.
                          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

I instinctively agree, but I'm left wondering how vigorously someone is allowed to **** a country in the service of disaster capitalists before they forfeit the right to civility.

I don't think it's conspiracy theory to posit that there are some very dark, bad faith actors operating on some pretty hairy agendas who are cloaked by the mantle of a liberal democracy.

There's a real tension for me when I see blatant and deliberate lies, industrial misinformation, constitutional transgression and illegality, a government still refusing to abide by the law, demonstrable links to far right american dark money and the illegal use of data, and yet we still want to observe the niceties of civil discourse.

I think it's admirable to do so, but we need to be clear - these people are playing a totally different game by a totally different set of rules.
                            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

So gaming this now.

- This will be rejected by Parliament
                              - Benn Act kicks in
                              - Boris Forced by Parliament to ask for an extension
                              - EU says 1 month extension but no renegotiation and only for an election - EU can do this as new Commission delayed for a month.
                              - Boris then gets his fixed term majority (will Corbyn bite at this?) to go to the country based on his deal or no deal.
                              - Corbyn runs on a confirmatory vote and further extension
                              - Tories come back with a majority and a mandate for their deal/no deal - get Brexit done
                              - deal passed by Parliament
                              - UK leave at 11pm on 30 November
                              Wearily plausible. Corbyn has an uncanny knack of missing opportunities.

Comment

The Met Police have been advising all MPs to take cabs to and from Parliament.

JRM chose to go walkabout, with his young son, on the day that both a hugely important vote was being held, right onto the streets where over a million Pro remain marchers were. JRM also chose not to use his ministerial car.

He also managed, at short shift, to get a dozen or so police officers to walk him out. Officers who, for the above mentioned reasons, might have been a tad busy that day.

Not great by the marchers, but JRM absolutely should not have put himself, his son or those officers in that predicament.

Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Working...
                                X