No announcement yet.

Brexit referendum and negotiations 2016-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Scottish appeal court has just ruled that the prorogation of parliament was unlawful. It's possible, but not yet certain, that they'll be back shouting at each other next week.

The three judges, chaired by Lord Carloway, Scotland’s most senior judge, overturned an earlier ruling that the courts did not have the power to interfere in the prime minister’s political decision to prorogue parliament.

Lawyers acting for 75 opposition MPs and peers argued Johnson’s decision to suspend parliament for five weeks was illegal and in breach of the constitution, as it was designed to stifle parliamentary debate and action on Brexit.

The judges failed to issue an interdict, or injunction, ordering the UK government to reconvene parliament, prompting a row over whether the decision meant MPs could go back to the House of Commons.

The court issued an official summary of its decision declaring the prorogation order was “null and void”, but Carloway said they were deferring a final decision on an interdict to the UK supreme court, which will hold a three-day hearing next week.
    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Fergus Finlay in de Paper

"Unlike Donald Trump, Boris Johnson does not lead a supine party. So if he continues to behave as if he can do whatever he likes, he will see his support evaporate as quickly as it emerged. And that can’t happen soon enough."

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
        I don't understand why there is so little talk of a One Nation unionist party being formed. Between the Scots Tories, UUP and English Tory rebels they should reasonably expect to be competitive in 60-80 seats and would hold the balance of power.
        I suspect it's because the English Tory Rebels are almost universally at the socially liberal end of the spectrum. If I was one of those, I'd be placing more of my long term bet on the collapse of this Bannonite charabanc and a swing back to the sort of Centrism that won them a majority and saw them resurrected in Scotland.

And, if I was being more cynical, I'd say that the Tory party is nothing more than the embodied political will of its financial backers and that, until they get cold feet, it's the only show in town.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Johnson does not give a damn to what happens and will happen to UK, EU and most of all to Ireland.
          He is a pathologic liar and his only aim was to become Prime Minister like his idol Sir Winston C. (The PM who served his country during WW2 or the Secretary for wWar and Air who sent the Black and Tans to Croke park on bloody 21 November 1920?..)
          All that is another facet of an affair which is first and only a matter of ambition, ego and selfishness.
          The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
            The Scottish appeal court has just ruled that the prorogation of parliament was unlawful. It's possible, but not yet certain, that they'll be back shouting at each other next week.
            Scottish law is different to English law (which has already okayed prorogation).

So next week both cases, and possibly the one from NI, will go to the UK Supreme Court.

I'm not a political or legal nerd, but this is fascinating. Expect fireworks no matter the outcome of the SC case.
            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Farage's offer of a pact on the basis of no-deal, Johnston rejection of it and the likely delay of the election until November combined put Boris in a very difficult corner. Farage is going to outflank him to the right preventing him taking Labour seats in the midlands and north of England and he has already sacrificed 25-40 seats in Scotland and the southwest to LDs and SNP.

fitzy73 a few weeks ago you seemed to accept the narrative that Cummings was playing 4D chess. I think he just throw his ludo pieces off the board to see if he can do any better with the snakes and ladders on the other side.

November election with a hung Parliament and Labour as the largest party is my bet now. Minority Labour gov't with SNP backing and LD abstention. 2nd referendum on May deal plus Labour single market amendments and remain to be held between Easter and summer next year.

If you have a few quid under a mattress buy call options on Sterling at EUR1.30 for 1 July next year (I'd be fairly sure that's what Somerset Asset Management or whatever Rees-Moggs outfit is a called are already doing).

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Another fine example of how the Irish media are becoming over interested in things outside Ireland that have little
                if anything to do with us. TV 3 news has a lead story on the 8pm news of Trump firing someone in his staff. It’s ahead of a report on Vaccines and how the Government is going to tackle the mis-information on them.

Presumably I missed the Brexit stuff, where nothing of consequence was repeatedly reported on.
                To be fair, firing that f#cking psychopath Bolton was probably the smartest thing Trump ever did.
                When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Farage's offer of a pact on the basis of no-deal, Johnston rejection of it and the likely delay of the election until November combined put Boris in a very difficult corner. Farage is going to outflank him to the right preventing him taking Labour seats in the midlands and north of England and he has already sacrificed 25-40 seats in Scotland and the southwest to LDs and SNP.

fitzy73 a few weeks ago you seemed to accept the narrative that Cummings was playing 4D chess. I think he just throw his ludo pieces off the board to see if he can do any better with the snakes and ladders on the other side.

November election with a hung Parliament and Labour as the largest party is my bet now. Minority Labour gov't with SNP backing and LD abstention. 2nd referendum on May deal plus Labour single market amendments and remain to be held between Easter and summer next year.

If you have a few quid under a mattress buy call options on Sterling at EUR1.30 for 1 July next year (I'd be fairly sure that's what Somerset Asset Management or whatever Rees-Moggs outfit is a called are already doing).
                  I'm beginning to think Cummings isn't as clever as he thinks he is. However, I have no doubt that he has a few more tricks up his sleeve.

I can't see Labour being the biggest party. The FPTP system means that even on 50% of the vote Labour and LD would fall short of a majority. I really believe they will need the SNP, and their price for coalition will be indyref2.

A lot can happen between here and November though.
                  Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post

To be fair, firing that f#cking psychopath Bolton was probably the smartest thing Trump ever did.
                    I’m not questioning the intelligence of it, just the need for Irish media to report it before more important matters on these shore.

Comment

I’m not questioning the intelligence of it, just the need for Irish media to report it before more important matters on these shore.
                      Tis the algorithms int it? They know what stories keep eyeballs on pages. Your attention is the commodity, the facts stopped being the commodity sadly

I am the million man.

Comment

I think Bolton was one of the few people in the world with the will and the power to start WW3. It's newsworthy alright.
                        When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Bolton out? Bang goes democracy and happiness for sh*tholes Iran, Afghanistan and China.

On the positive side...........

If Bolton ('have my say in due course') brings his book out at the height of the 2020 campaign it will annihilate Trump.

Comment

I think he just throw his ludo pieces off the board to see if he can do any better with the snakes and ladders on the other side.
                            Brilliant! pissing myself...

Comment

John Bercow: "I'll stop Boris Johnson breaking the law on Brexit".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...no-deal-brexit

C'mon, Mister "backstop" speaker! :pacman_by_bad_blood

The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	490AB55B-C814-4879-BB5F-E14AEE6B7140.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	2576483
                                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Working...
                                X