No announcement yet.

Brexit referendum and negotiations 2016-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNP abstained on Clarke's customs union proposal, so that has legs. Article 50 revocation unlikely and second ref would be opposed by cabinet, so they might vote for it as least worst option on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post

The PV admendment went really well this evening which was a big surprise.

Could a consensus be reached whereby Mays deal is voted through in return for a PV? Seems unlikely but the place is absolutely bonkers so who knows.

I still can't get my head around the actual votes mind. They are voting on what they want viz a vis a post Brexit deal, and the govt hasn't even began negotiations.

The actual WA has broad support - it's the future trading agreement that doesn't.

In all likelihood their will be a new PM within a few months so isn't this academic anyway??
      And I am certain the new PM will call a GE to get a clear mandate for handling future negotiations. May’s resignation offer makes it less likely her Deal can get cross party support if it is coupled with a PV/ customs union etc.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

I bet it won’t become more acceptable for the DUP.... This is all a bit of a talking shop in reality. Whatever Parliament comes up with they are still going to have to wind up passing the withdrawal agreement and then, when there is a change of PM and an election, all this will become fodder for manifestos. Whoever then gets in will simply say they have a mandate for their negotiating strategy and all this will be ignored.
        As you say, it is not likely to lead to anything other than an extension of Article 50 for a year. However, for many who wanted the indicative vote to go ahead, that is probably enough of a victory. May's deal gets finally buried after being shot three/four times. It would not be exhumed for a general election, as some other strategy would have to be in place. The EU might even reopen the withdrawal agreement, if they've got a year of negotiations ahead of them. Primarily, it removes May's false choice between her deal or no deal.

Comment

A GE solves nothing though.

You'll have Labour with a soft Brexit mandate, the Tories with a hard(er) Brexit mandate. Remain voters won't, in the main, go for the Lib Dems, so the majority of the electorate have no home.

Are the EU minded decouple the future trading agreement, to let them vote through the WA, extend A50? Obvious issue is the EU elections mind.

It's absolute chaos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pig lover.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	2563527
          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

A GE solves nothing though.

You'll have Labour with a soft Brexit mandate, the Tories with a hard(er) Brexit mandate. Remain voters won't, in the main, go for the Lib Dems, so the majority of the electorate have no home.

Are the EU minded decouple the future trading agreement, to let them vote through the WA, extend A50? Obvious issue is the EU elections mind.

It's absolute chaos.
            The EU view the WA and the Future Relationship documents as separate but linked, because that's how they're viewed in EU law. The UK views them as inextricably linked, because that's what their legislation says. So the EU wouldn't have a problem with a decoupled vote, but the UK would.

Comment

So the Tories have found a possible way around the legislation, and Bercow's ruling against too many votes on the same thing. They're going to produce a Withdrawal Agreement Bill tomorrow, which will be voted on to pass the Withdrawal Agreement part, and potentially amend the Withdrawal Act (which says that the Political Declaration has to be agreed at the same time). Chances of success are low.

Comment

I have not got a f’cking clue what is going on anymore.

Comment

Well - now you know what Theresa May feels like.

Comment

Jeez, this is getting horribly complicated very quickly.

the house of Commons is a pharse, the Pm is now a stooge, Brexit is in bits & the Brits are in chaos. Whatever next?!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

As they say about quantum mechanics............."If you think you understand it........then that means you haven't grasped it at all"
                      Stand up for the Ulcer men

Comment

Well at least we know TM reads Munster fans and took my suggestion on board!

A few legal eagles are pointing out that Article 184 of the WA incorporates the future declaration by reference.

Anyway I think it'll be closer than people think but still defeated .Which means Monday they still need to vote on their preferences.

I'm still none the wiser what the f**k happens after that though.

​​​​​​

Comment

No no no
                          You don't love her
                          And she knows now

No no no
                          You don't love her
                          Yes she knows now

Coz you dropped her
                          MPs
                          And she got no place to go now

No no no
                          She did nothing you've voted for

No no no
                          She did nothing you've voted for

Coz if you ask her
                          MPs
                          She'll go on her knees to Brussels

No no no no no no no no....

Désolé..

The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).

Comment

if they vote this part through tomorrow then they get extension on article 50 until may 22. but before that date they would have to agree or vote through the full so called MV3 as they would not get another extension due to not taking part in european elections.
                            if I had to put money on it I would think general election is most likely option at this stage . my preferred option is them not to leave at all or a close second , a majority in the commons to throw DUP under brexit bus and put the border in the irish sea.
                            Still there's a light I hold before me
                            You're the measure of my dreams
                            The measure of my dreams.

Comment

It would appear the tactic is to call a GE for the 23rd of May, hold EP elections the next day, and whoever gets in passes a WA before the MEP's can sit.

Batsh*t crazy stuff.

Comment

It would appear the tactic is to call a GE for the 23rd of May, hold EP elections the next day, and whoever gets in passes a WA before the MEP's can sit.

Batsh*t crazy stuff.
                                And Labour are so bad the Tories may well win an overall majority. But that counts for nothing when there is a party within a party. Mad stuff really...

Comment

Working...
                                X