Brexit referendum and negotiations 2016-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
    Labours current stand is insane - pushing for a GE so they can renegotiate is chocolate unicorn stuff. Sooner or later they will have to make a move.

On a side issue, I'm on some medication long term and suddenly no one has it. I had to go to 4 pharmacies to get a resupply. From speaking with staff there are starting to see shortages in some key drugs. It could be a case of stockpiling, but it's a bit worrying that 3 months + to exit day this is happening.
    I'm in the drugs industry Fitzy, and I've been saying this to anyone that will listen since the referendum! My Mam is on Levothyroxine, which is not substitutable without dose titration, etc., and I've said to her doctor that we want a year's prescription next time. Now I can get my hands on most of the drugs that she's on (stability and R&D samples and the like) but it's going to be a big issue. More so in Ireland as many medicines are what are called "dual pack" - i.e. same pack in Ireland and UK. HPRA (Irish drug regulatory agency) are in discussions with the MHRA (UK drug regulatory agency) to allow this to continue post-Brexit, but it ALL DEPENDS ON BREXIT. Ireland is a relatively small market and many companies will not bother printing off Ireland-specific packaging. Especially as the Falsified Medicines Directive kicks in 02/2019 requiring more stringent (read "expensive") methods of tracking and tracing.

It's a cluster**** in just our industry, and that's the only one that I understand, so I dread to think what will happen with food, with agriculture, with aviation, with a million things that I don't even know I don't know....
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
      If Brexit has highlighted one thing home to people that were previously unaware - its shown what a complete bunch of self serving baxtards the conservatives and DUP are.

How Catholics in the north have managed to put up with all the discrimination against them since the 1970's is beyond me.
      True and if the shinners had taken up their seats in Parliament to vote against this whole s*it show we wouldn't be in this clusterf#ck in the first place
      When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post

True and if the shinners had taken up their seats in Parliament to vote against this whole s*it show we wouldn't be in this clusterf#ck in the first place
        Which vote are you referring to that their votes would have stopped Brexit?

​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
        AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by SecondRowGal View Post

I'm in the drugs industry Fitzy, and I've been saying this to anyone that will listen since the referendum! My Mam is on Levothyroxine, which is not substitutable without dose titration, etc., and I've said to her doctor that we want a year's prescription next time. Now I can get my hands on most of the drugs that she's on (stability and R&D samples and the like) but it's going to be a big issue. More so in Ireland as many medicines are what are called "dual pack" - i.e. same pack in Ireland and UK. HPRA (Irish drug regulatory agency) are in discussions with the MHRA (UK drug regulatory agency) to allow this to continue post-Brexit, but it ALL DEPENDS ON BREXIT. Ireland is a relatively small market and many companies will not bother printing off Ireland-specific packaging. Especially as the Falsified Medicines Directive kicks in 02/2019 requiring more stringent (read "expensive") methods of tracking and tracing.

It's a cluster**** in just our industry, and that's the only one that I understand, so I dread to think what will happen with food, with agriculture, with aviation, with a million things that I don't even know I don't know...
          My stuff is cytotoxic, so from time to time issues with manufacturing and distribution mean a few delays. But talking to a few pharmacists, they were out or low on basic things like naproxen.

My old boss is the head of the GPhC and I know from what he has said both publical and privately that they are extremely concerned about the situation now, not to mind in a disorderly Brexit scenario.
          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

A good speech from Ivan Rogers.
            The UK's former representative to the EU, Sir Ivan Rogers spoke at the invitation of the University of Liverpool's Heseltine Institute for Public Policy and Place.Here is the full transcript:

Comment

Are Labour actually going to come out in favour of a 2nd referendum?

They either have to accept Mays deal or go for a 2nd vote, I find it difficult to believe that a sizeable bunch of Labour MPs won't break ranks if Corbyn doesn't get his arshe off the fence.

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                Are Labour actually going to come out in favour of a 2nd referendum?

They either have to accept Mays deal or go for a 2nd vote, I find it difficult to believe that a sizeable bunch of Labour MPs won't break ranks if Corbyn doesn't get his arshe off the fence.

​​​
                There seems to be some sort of belief/theory that the 'middle ground' of both the Labour and Conservative parties will effectively end up cooperating together to rescue the UK from itself and the dreaded consequences of Brexit.

this is probably a worthy theory, I'll let others who know much more about UK politics than me opine about that, and this theory would certainly give a ' good ' European like me some hope, except that both the UK electorate & UK politics have done nothing but self harm & disappoint for over 3 years now..... That's what worries me.

So yes I'm am an optimist about Europe, free trade, the UK & Ireland but I'm also scared senseless by the Uk's current predilection to self harm.....

p.s. And in harming themselves, they'll really hurt Ireland and will also weaken Europe, free trade and the 4 freedoms. But there is hope yet.... Hopefully!! :)
                ​​​​
                Last edited by Daithi; 16th-December-2018, 20:12.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Whoever agrees the deal will be punished electorally. Leave voters may have been lied to, but, for many, those lies are articles of faith now. If the withdrawal agreement gets voted through, they will turn on whoever signs it for breaking the unkeepable promises. On the Remain side, every deal is worse than the current deal, so whoever signs it is making a stupid and unnecessary choice for political gain. Another vote loser. Labour are trying their best not to be the party that agrees the deal, because of how toxic it is. And they are also trying not to be the party that gets the second referendum on the table, because of how toxic that is. They have wagered that the Tories cannot get any deal through, so it is best to let them come to that conclusion themselves and be the authors of whatever vote-losing step comes next. May's form is to lie about there being no alternative right up to the point where the alternative becomes politically inevitable. So it seems possible she will eventually call a second referendum. Though I wouldn't bet on it. She may prefer to resign rather than do that. Or she might call the vote and then resign. Either way, a second referendum is not possible without the say so of the Tory party, so Labour have nothing to gain by championing it.

Comment

Either May is playing the biggest game of bluff or she is actually insane enough to go through wuth a no deal. I keep hearing there is no majority for the latter in parliament yet until and unless someone steps up to the plate that's what's going to happen.

Anyone seen Harry?

Comment

Either May is playing the biggest game of bluff or she is actually insane enough to go through wuth a no deal. I keep hearing there is no majority for the latter in parliament yet until and unless someone steps up to the plate that's what's going to happen.

Anyone seen Harry?
                      And if there is such a majority and are going to come froward at some point- then by delaying they are costing the country a lot of money and grief.

Comment

Who will split first? Labour or the Tories? The referendum differences are hardening to the extent that we could see Fianna Leave and Fine Remain parties in the next decade. This is civil war by other means.

Comment

Anyone seen Harry?
                          She's bluffing. She wants her deal through and if she relentlessly shoots down any talk of a second referendum and positions the WA as the only alternative to no deal then I can see it being passed by the Commons in January. Rees-Mogg even seems to have backed down somewhat.
                          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post

She's bluffing. She wants her deal through and if she relentlessly shoots down any talk of a second referendum and positions the WA as the only alternative to no deal then I can see it being passed by the Commons in January. Rees-Mogg even seems to have backed down somewhat.
                            I agree and I think she has Dominic Grieve lined up to pop up when her deal fails, otherwise Dom would be jumping up and down now. Wasting a lot of time and money by delaying until.mid jan.

If there was is a serious risk of no deal I think the £ would fall about 10%. so hopefully as you say it's just bluff...

Comment

I'd like to think she is bluffing as well - however an ex colleague, now in the civil service, has told me they've been told to drop anything that isn't Brexit related and focus on a no deal outcome. Matt Hancock has admitted they NHS is now the largest fridge buyer in the world. Kent County council have set up plans to use Manston airport (as well as the A20) as a holding area. The M26 has been reworked to hold lorries as well. If she is bluffing it's an incredibly elaborate one.

Comment

Yup, that's what she's at alright.

the minus 2% of UK GDP per annum billion dollar question is whether all this will work?!

i.e. will she be able to shoe horn through a deal that (I believe) fewer and fewer actually support??
                                or
                                will the people get to vote again with remain as an option???

and if the UK electorate do get to vote again, will Remain win this time????

p.s. Big questions, & I don't have an idea what will happen tbh...
                                Last edited by Daithi; 19th-December-2018, 11:42.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Working...
                                X