Brexit referendum and negotiations 2016-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
    Labour politicians are now calling for curtailment of free movement across the continent. Can anyone see the rest of the EU going for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sweden, Denmark and Finland have closed their borders already.....
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Labour politicians are now calling for curtailment of free movement across the continent. Can anyone see the rest of the EU going for that?

In my opinion a re think is needed. Perhaps a deeper core and a less deep periphery could work but is honestly not an easy issue as the line is blurry in the internal market.

But remember that Ireland and the U.K already have an opt out on many justice issues and are not in Schengen.

Comment

Northern England working class voters look to be strongly pro brexit going by the reports on newsnight tonight while the labour voters that seem to be for remaining are the arty farty smoked salmon types.
        The chief concern is immigration and the effect it's having on wages and the availability of jobs and social services.
        On the other hand the guy from the local museum says they have great collaboration with other museums in Europe.

Comment

I think it is going to be 60:40, at least, in favour of leave. There is no going back if that is the result.

Comment

I think it is going to be 60:40, at least, in favour of leave. There is no going back if that is the result.

I always felt that when business got on the factory floors and told workers what will really happen then things would change. Now I think that certain brands may not want to be damaged in the UK market by saying these home truths even though it is likely that some operations will be moved.

It feels like we are watching a car crash. Is the UK going to hit tyres or a brick wall? The uncertainty is incredible. Unfortunately the EU is not perfect and therefore the untruths in what the leave side is saying have enough truth in them to make it plausible.

We are looking at 2+ years of high uncertainty - a narrow remain vote who'll also have led to even longer uncertainty. There could be a lot of bitterness in this period even though there will be a need to maintain relationships in areas such as NATO. What will happen to Scotland? Can there be a special solution for Northern Ireland? The common Travel area will be gone but perhaps a sensible and low key North-South border. Does Ireland need to join Schengen? What will be the affect on the Irish agriculture sector? Can we exploit any opportunities even though there is a lack of capital to build the basic infrastructure (housing for workers).

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
              Sweden, Denmark and Finland have closed their borders already.....
              They did temporarily at the height of the refugee crisis. Are they still in place?
              My computer thinks I'm gay
              What's the difference anyway
              When all the people do all day
              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                I always felt that when business got on the factory floors and told workers what will really happen then things would change. Now I think that certain brands may not want to be damaged in the UK market by saying these home truths even though it is likely that some operations will be moved.

It feels like we are watching a car crash. Is the UK going to hit tyres or a brick wall? The uncertainty is incredible. Unfortunately the EU is not perfect and therefore the untruths in what the leave side is saying have enough truth in them to make it plausible.

We are looking at 2+ years of high uncertainty - a narrow remain vote who'll also have led to even longer uncertainty. There could be a lot of bitterness in this period even though there will be a need to maintain relationships in areas such as NATO. What will happen to Scotland? Can there be a special solution for Northern Ireland? The common Travel area will be gone but perhaps a sensible and low key North-South border. Does Ireland need to join Schengen? What will be the affect on the Irish agriculture sector? Can we exploit any opportunities even though there is a lack of capital to build the basic infrastructure (housing for workers).
                BT have written to all their employees setting out a case for leave. I'll be amazed if other employers don't start sending some strong signals as well. I wonder if Cameron can persuade Betty (as he did in the Scottish referendum) to say a few supportive words?

I'm slightly staggered that I've received feck all literature about the referendum, save the one telling me how to register and vote, and one from UKIP wittering on about Turkey. Nada from the Tories, Labour, Lib Dems, Greens. Similarly, no knock on the door.
                Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Brexit referendum taking place on Thurs 23rd June 2016

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                  BT have written to all their employees setting out a case for leave. I'll be amazed if other employers don't start sending some strong signals as well. I wonder if Cameron can persuade Betty (as he did in the Scottish referendum) to say a few supportive words?

I'm slightly staggered that I've received feck all literature about the referendum, save the one telling me how to register and vote, and one from UKIP wittering on about Turkey. Nada from the Tories, Labour, Lib Dems, Greens. Similarly, no knock on the door.
                  I suspect they are reasoning on London Remaining in your case Fitzy and Somerset leaving in mine so are focusing on marginal areas.

Last edited by the plastic paddy; 15th-June-2016, 07:59.

Comment

I suspect they are reasoning on London Remaining in your case Fitzy and Somerset leaving in mine so are focusing on marginal areas.

But this isn't a national election. Literally, and figuratively, every vote counts.

Comment

But this isn't a national election. Literally, and figuratively, every vote counts.
                      I wouldn't fancy knocking on doors in Somerset trying to convince people to Remain.

Comment

BT are setting out a case to leave??

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                          BT are setting out a case to leave??
                          Other way round, letter was for Remain, fitzy a bit confused i'd say
                          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                            Other way round, letter was for Remain, fitzy a bit confused i'd say
                            Far too early. Yes, I meant BT set out the case to remain.

Comment

There is a letter in the Telegraph which suggests that the European Parliament rarely vetoes legislation, the author says the only example he could find was a proposal from the commission to ban countries unilaterally banning GMOs. Is that true?

Comment

I would be pro remain and would wish to see Britain vote likewise if for nothing else but security / certainty. However if they wish to leave then so be it. I have watched from afar and in my opinion the jingoism and naked nationalism has been startling. The anti immigration stance from a country built largely on immigration is ironic, and if the the surface is scratched it is anti non white immigration that is the problem. Who will pay the medical bills of the British emigrants in the EU? The British empire gave nobody the option to leave as we well know, I find it hypocritical that they now don't wish to be a part of the collective.
                                If they vote to leave then the extraction process should be short and severe. No favours.
                                A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Working...
                                X