Brexit referendum and negotiations 2016-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Piquet View Post

Or may be so far short of a majority that their votes would be no use.
    He's one step closer. The prorogation has been granted.
    He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

The DUPE agenda is any Brexit separates the green glens from the banana Republic going forward. No Brexit means a United Ireland coming soon to a culvert near you.

Comment

Originally posted by JN.Allezdax.com View Post
        Can we say that the democracy in UK is now far beyond democrazy and that a deep deep crisis will occur, even if it cannot be considered that the system has not been already in crisis since Cameron's disastrous bloody stupid decision to organize an a priori "safe" referendum?
        Italy has no more governent, it's about to happen in Germany where Merkel does the mandate too many, in Spain Sanchez faces to huge difficulties... I am worried about the west democracies, I have to confess...
        Boris has killed democracy in the UK unless the other parties in the UK can stop him. The question is will they be more worried about their own position or parliamentary democracy.....
        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

​If anyone is feeling particularly aggrieved the link to the petition is below, I signed it, mainly because whats being proposed is bending rules and conventions bigly. It wont make a blind bit of difference but if enough Irish IP addresses sign it to make it into the headlines it might show we are still interested and involved in this ****ery.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/269157 Parliament will consider this for a debate

Parliament considers all petitions that get more than 100,000 signatures for a debate

Waiting for 1 day for a debate dateGovernment will respond

Government responds to all petitions that get more than 10,000 signatures

Waiting for 1 day for a government responseShare this petition

I am the million man.

Comment

Excellent editorial, as most of the time in this newspaper:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...t-to-democracy
            "To be energetic and self-sufficing is to be happy; but while one desire remains in the heart happiness may not come there. For to desire is to be incomplete: it is the badge of dependence, the signal of unhappiness, and to be freed from that is to be freed from every fetter that can possibly be forged." (James Stephens, Deirdre)

Comment

Hugh Grant sits on the fence:

"You will not **** with my children’s future. You will not destroy the freedoms my grandfather fought two world wars to defend. **** off you over-promoted rubber bath toy. Britain is revolted by you and you little gang of masturbatory prefects."

Comment

It's really turning into a sh@t show. My wife works for a bakery/coffee shop . They import a few pallets of flour and tinned fruit a couple of times a year from the North. With the no deal looming they have been advised to change to a different supplier down here as the paperwork Will be awful if they stay with their current supplier. When they told their supplier this they said they were trying to get a base down South but every one has the same trouble and premises are going through the roof. The DUP are doing untold damage to the northern economy.

Comment

Originally posted by jelly belly View Post
                  It's really turning into a sh@t show. My wife works for a bakery/coffee shop . They import a few pallets of flour and tinned fruit a couple of times a year from the North. With the no deal looming they have been advised to change to a different supplier down here as the paperwork Will be awful if they stay with their current supplier. When they told their supplier this they said they were trying to get a base down South but every one has the same trouble and premises are going through the roof. The DUP are doing untold damage to the northern economy.
                  The DUP has an opportunity to support a special arrangement which would have enabled NI to have one foot in the U.K. and one on the EU. It had the potential to make the NI economy prosperous again. Allow it to stand on its own two feet and indeed give it an identity of British and Europe.

But now they will kill many businesses up north, make it even more dependent on London for transfers, lead to the return of some violence and perhaps even accelerate a United Ireland.

Comment

I would not be surprised if today’s marches had an element of civil disobedience.
                    Last edited by The Last Stand; 31st-August-2019, 14:16.

Comment

If Doris does call an election it means weakness, They tried the old deselection trick, calculated it wasn't going to work and are now throwing all the cards in the air in desperation. Hopefully this will harbinger the end of the hooray-Henry Etonian. Modeled himself on Trump whose own poll numbers are going down faster than Stormy Daniels on speed.

Comment

Boris can't call an election unless he gets the support of two thirds of the House.

If he loses a Confidence Motion he'll have the support of less than half of the house.

He's snookered.

Comment

The Tory party is pining for the fjords.

Comment

So it looks like the No No Deal motion will pass, Boris will look for a GE vote, needs 2 3rds, but won't get it, so he'll be a lame duck without a paddle, up **** creek, can't have a GE, can't Brexit without a deal and doesn't have a deal that can pass the Commons, SNAFU to the power of 10?
                            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                              So it looks like the No No Deal motion will pass, Boris will look for a GE vote, needs 2 3rds, but won't get it, so he'll be a lame duck without a paddle, up **** creek, can't have a GE, can't Brexit without a deal and doesn't have a deal that can pass the Commons, SNAFU to the power of 10?
                              No, if the Benn bill is passed then Labour and SNP will both vote for a GE. Ironically it may benefit Boris in the election campaign. His narrative will be that the 31 Oct deadline has been "stolen" from him by Parliament.

Most likely scenario is an election in November after the extension to the Brexit deadline has been secured at the European Council on 17 Oct.

Comment

When does Pence leave? Is it soon? please say its soon
                                I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                                X