Brexit referendum and negotiations 2016-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
    Simon Wren-Lewis: Why did the UK become a failed state?

"You either have to assume that a third of the population has gone mad, or instead see this as a fundamental failure of information. The UK is a failed state because the producers of information have made it fail. "
    Thanks for that Blackwarrior. I followed one of the links from it:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...istry-of-truth

One of the Brexit ministers own staff couldn't fathom how a business in his constituency should fill out post Brexit HMRC forms. When the Brexit minister then wrote to HMRC they replied with a pro forma letter that his query was being dealt with and they would get back to him.

But everything is going to be OK.

Incredible!
    Last edited by lilleexile; 20th-August-2019, 20:36.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post

Immaterial in any case as they intend to keep the border with Ireland open, so no checks for anyone crossing wandering in from the south where FoM will still apply.
      Wouldn't be surprised to see Ryanair put on extra flights to Dublin and Knock from eastern Europe.
      Which is fine if you are going Ireland - UK or UK - Ireland.

I'm a regular visitor to both Portugal and France from the UK. So when I go in November, what will be the response when I arrive back in the UK? I've asked, and no one seems to know.

The advice I've been given is that I *may* need to applied for settled status and / or get a British passport.

If that is actually the case, they can **** right off.
      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Immaterial in any case as they intend to keep the border with Ireland open, so no checks for anyone crossing wandering in from the south where FoM will still apply.
        Wouldn't be surprised to see Ryanair put on extra flights to Dublin and Knock from eastern Europe.
        They say they will keep the border open. But the reality will be very different as it will be required for any of their forthcoming trade deals. Goods border will also become a people border.

As an aside, any idea how many British soldiers were active in the North during the Troubles? What was the cost of this?

Comment

Wonder how Doris will dress it up as he returns gormless and disheveled waving his "we have no deal" paper from Berlin.

"Never in the field of political conflict was so little achieved by so many eejits about so little"

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post

Which is fine if you are going Ireland - UK or UK - Ireland.

I'm a regular visitor to both Portugal and France from the UK. So when I go in November, what will be the response when I arrive back in the UK? I've asked, and no one seems to know.

The advice I've been given is that I *may* need to applied for settled status and / or get a British passport.

If that is actually the case, they can **** right off.
            Fitzy73 We are okay an agreement was signed in May this year between Ireland and the UK to maintain the rights of Irish citizens to have free movement and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by dermotmccarthy View Post

Fitzy73 We are okay an agreement was signed in May this year between Ireland and the UK to maintain the rights of Irish citizens to have free movement and vice versa.
              Maybe true but It's not as clear cut as it would seem. The UK Home Office is fighting Emma deSouza in court at the moment, She's from Northern Ireland but under the Good Friday Agreement has exercised her right to be Irish. But the Home Office is arguing that she is "really" British. So to avail of the right to remain she has to accept that she's British and then renounce it before she can claim to be Irish.
              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Maybe true but It's not as clear cut as it would seem. The UK Home Office is fighting Emma deSouza in court at the moment, She's from Northern Ireland but under the Good Friday Agreement has exercised her right to be Irish. But the Home Office is arguing that she is "really" British. So to avail of the right to remain she has to accept that she's British and then renounce it before she can claim to be Irish.
                Was the happy feely liberal open UK from 1997 to 2008 the exception to the rule?

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

Was the happy feely liberal open UK from 1997 to 2008 the exception to the rule?
                  Can't say for all the UK but London is still an open society from what I can gather.
                  Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by dermotmccarthy View Post

The agreement is not enshrined in law.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-48194071

Further, it was for UK - Ireland, Ireland - UK transit. It's not clear when you are transiting from the EU to the UK what rules apply.
                    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

It was a Labour Govt during an economic boom, so an exception on two fronts. This is an exception too though. Everyone warned in 2008 that if we weren't very careful, the crash would lead to a rise in right wing populism. They always do. But, unfortunately, too many politicians were ready to fall in with the austerity narrative, kick starting the historical sense of competition for resources and off we go again.

Unfortunately, with No Deal looming, I find it hard to envisage what is going to change the discourse in the UK. I think they're looking at another lost decade. It's scary to think that there are people born in, say, 2000 who are now reaching adulthood and for whom the bulk of their lives and a fair chunk of their future will be framed by all of this.

I'm regularly thankful for having come of age in a more optimistic time, even if we were riding for a fall. At least we remember that things weren't always ****.
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Can we say that the democracy in UK is now far beyond democrazy and that a deep deep crisis will occur, even if it cannot be considered that the system has not been already in crisis since Cameron's disastrous bloody stupid decision to organize an a priori "safe" referendum?
                        Italy has no more governent, it's about to happen in Germany where Merkel does the mandate too many, in Spain Sanchez faces to huge difficulties... I am worried about the west democracies, I have to confess...
                        "To be energetic and self-sufficing is to be happy; but while one desire remains in the heart happiness may not come there. For to desire is to be incomplete: it is the badge of dependence, the signal of unhappiness, and to be freed from that is to be freed from every fetter that can possibly be forged." (James Stephens, Deirdre)

Comment

DUP declared they support BoJo's decision to prorogue/suspend the parliament...
                          "To be energetic and self-sufficing is to be happy; but while one desire remains in the heart happiness may not come there. For to desire is to be incomplete: it is the badge of dependence, the signal of unhappiness, and to be freed from that is to be freed from every fetter that can possibly be forged." (James Stephens, Deirdre)

Comment

Originally posted by JN.Allezdax.com View Post
                            DUP declared they support BoJo's decision to prorogue/suspend the parliament...
                            No surprise. Loyal to the end
                            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

No surprise. Loyal to the end
                              Silly people. Chances are if a GE is called The Tories may no longer need them.
                              He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post

Silly people. Chances are if a GE is called The Tories may no longer need them.
                                Or may be so far short of a majority that their votes would be no use.

Comment

Working...
                                X