Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good article from Simon Jenkins in the Grauniad

Comment

Boris gets it by 92 thousand odd to 46 thousand odd.

Let the Circus commence

Comment

Boy oh boy. This is going to be fun.The end result will be a general election, a new referendum, and no Brexit. Doris thinks he can wriggle his way to some sort of fudge and extension but his party will implode.

Comment

All hail King Boris
          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
            Boris gets it by 92 thousand odd to 46 thousand odd.

Let the Circus commence
            To be fair the circus has been in town for 3 years, this is just a new ring to the ****show.

Comment

For all the brits talk of championing democracy boris has just been chosen PM by 0.2% of the electorate. They are 97% white, 70% male and have an average age of 57...

Comment

Loved Aine Lawlor on Rte News at 1 when, having listened to BoJo's description of how he would deal with Brexit and everything else after being elected Tory leader, she likened him to Tommy Cooper...…"Just Like That"
                Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
                  For all the brits talk of championing democracy boris has just been chosen PM by 0.2% of the electorate. They are 97% white, 70% male and have an average age of 57...

That's the exact profile of Munsterfans posters Though, if Old Dog and Laurence retired the average age would drop to 16.

Comment

Comment

A cabinet named by Dominic Cummings and built for a no-deal brexit (which, at this stage, is the politically preferable outcome from Johnson's point of view). Things are about to get nasty.
                      "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                        A cabinet named by Dominic Cummings and built for a no-deal brexit (which, at this stage, is the politically preferable outcome from Johnson's point of view). Things are about to get nasty.
                        odds on a general election are shortening by the day.
                        the one way out of it , and get brexit done is a NI only solution.
                        I wouldn't put it past Johnson to shaft the DUP in the end of the day, if he thought the electorate would support a border down the irish sea then I think he would go for it, maybe I'm wrong but the EU would agree to it , our government would too.
                        if he thought he would get an overall majority with this approach then I believe that would be his choice because he isn't going to get anything else from the EU , no change to withdrawal deal and he will probably then lose a vote of confidence.
                        Still there's a light I hold before me
                        You're the measure of my dreams
                        The measure of my dreams.

Comment

I suspect that the fatal delusion in Doris' calculus is underestimating the contempt a sizable swathe of the electorate now hold for the Tories and the coming general election will destroy them. Brexit, no Brexit or anything in between.
                          In obsessing about delivering Brexit many have failed to notice that the SS Brexiteer is headed straight for the iceberg of Remain and a plague on your house.
                          Last edited by tippete7trees; 25th-July-2019, 07:09.

Comment

I had an acquaintance tell me rather sniffily not long ago that talk of a coup in the UK was hysterical nonsense.

Now we have a play straight from the Bannonite book. A frankly ridiculous cabinet built solely with the intention of energising the base.

The UK now has a home secretary that was fired from the cabinet for conducting clandestine meetings with the Israeli government and lying about it to the then Prime Minister.

It has another cabinet minister who was fired as Defence secretary when he leaked secret memos relating to Huawei from a meeting.

It has a Foreign Secretary who crashed and burned as Brexit secretary only months ago.

At the same time, he's fired the bulk of the previous cabinet.

He'll insist that he's trying to negotiate with the EU to make them seem intransigent. Then he'll attempt to force No Deal through the house as the only remaining alternative. Then he'll call a GE and fight it on the basis of "saving Brexit from the elites".

If the Tory rebels show any signs of collapsing his Government he'll move straight to step 3.

His cabinet appointments would be political suicide at any other time. Patel is a ****ing imbecile who you would never take into a GE in a senior role. Raab is a half wit too.

Johnson knows this. He's just betting that the Brexit voters don't. And he's probably right.
                            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

I had an acquaintance tell me rather sniffily not long ago that talk of a coup in the UK was hysterical nonsense.

Now we have a play straight from the Bannonite book. A frankly ridiculous cabinet built solely with the intention of energising the base.

The UK now has a home secretary that was fired from the cabinet for conducting clandestine meetings with the Israeli government and lying about it to the then Prime Minister.

It has another cabinet minister who was fired as Defence secretary when he leaked secret memos relating to Huawei from a meeting.

It has a Foreign Secretary who crashed and burned as Brexit secretary only months ago.

He'll insist that he's trying to negotiate with the EU to make them seem intransigent. Then he'll attempt to force No Deal through the house as the only remaining alternative. Then he'll call a GE and fight it on the basis of "saving Brexit from the elites".

If the Tory rebels show any signs of collapsing his Government he'll move straight to step 3.

His cabinet appointments would be political suicide at any other time. Patel is a ****ing imbecile who you would never take into a GE in a senior role. Raab is a half wit too.

Johnson knows this. He's just betting that the Brexit voters don't. And he's probably right.
                              The problem here is Farrago will move his stance further right and combined with disgust for the Tories from many the Tory vote will split.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

True. It's been odd to see how complacent some people have been since the Brexit vote. The disaster-capitalists are in charge and charging for disaster. The aspirational classes here are too optimistic/deluded to vote in their own interests and the hostages of austerity have got Stockholm syndrome. Boris could hardly have chosen a better moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X