Brexit referendum and negotiations 2016-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

Whatever about Brexit - that is also a question for Irish insurance companies.
    oh 100% agree but it is something that is going to be highlighted in lights this year due to circumstances in the UK.
    When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post

oh 100% agree but it is something that is going to be highlighted in lights this year due to circumstances in the UK.
      another reason for another British company to open office in Ireland.
      ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
      AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
        May will be gone by the end of June, whether there will be a caretaker prior to Boris taking over I don’t know. All set for the autumn general election!?!
        Boris will almost certainly be the nail in the Tory coffin. He's going to split the party wide open. He won't even get whatever deal he wants (probably no deal) through parliament as at least 1/3 of Tory MPs hate him.

This is going to end very, very badly.
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post

Boris will almost certainly be the nail in the Tory coffin. He's going to split the party wide open. He won't even get whatever deal he wants (probably no deal) through parliament as at least 1/3 of Tory MPs hate him.

This is going to end very, very badly.
          Not if the membership vote for him overwhelmingly, which I think they will given how the party has been infiltrated by Kippers. I agree Boris is loathed within the a section of the Parliamentary party and entirely with justification because he is an idle gob****e, but I think a combination of the vote for Farage in the EP, a large membership vote for Johnson and the terror of a Corbyn government will cause them to bide quiet. That said, Johnson’s biggest obstacle will be getting down to the final two, Gove might just weasel his way onto the ballot.

Comment

My gut tapeworm is telling me that anything Doris or the Tories do will be irrelevant. There's a sizeable constituency of soft right voters out there who will never forgive the Mayistas and the ERG for the joke they have made of Britain over the past year. The Tories are split now and there will be no reunification. The next election will be seminal with likely a big variety of partys with seats.

Comment

If any Brexiteer becomes PM and then runs down the clock to 31st October Britain will leave with no deal - this is the default.

The Tories will probably unite behind the new leader and that may mean they win the next general election as Labour tears itself apart over its failure to stop a hard Tory Brexit.

Comment

If any Brexiteer becomes PM and then runs down the clock to 31st October Britain will leave with no deal - this is the default.

The Tories will probably unite behind the new leader and that may mean they win the next general election as Labour tears itself apart over its failure to stop a hard Tory Brexit.
                Look I know Munster got Brexitillated in the horse show yesterday but.........................no need to go lu-la completely.

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post

Look I know Munster got Brexitillated in the horse show yesterday but.........................no need to go lu-la completely.
                  Just because you had 1 nightmare (yesterday) unfold doesn't mean you cant have another one. x

Comment

If there was a “no deal”, and Johnson one of the main faces of the Leave campaign engineered it as there PM. And if it is as bad for there economy as the experts/professionals in there fields say it will be. Causing a needless recession. There will be no hiding from it, Brexit, isn’t going away. It’s going to rumble on and on for years if not decades to come. Pointing the finger at everyone else, wouldn’t continue to work.

Can’t see them being anything but abilterated in a general election in a “no deal” scenario. No matter how united they are. When the lie of the UKs problems starting and ending with the EU is exposed. And there real underlying problems are made worse. Can’t see them recovering anytime soon. There supposed to be “the business party”, all about the economy after all. That will be no more. Just another populist right wing shell, full of hate & bitterness, vying on peoples fears. No different to the Republican Party in the States. Maybe if they have a general election beforehand, they’d stand some chance, but not after.

Could be very much a multi party system, full of rainbow coalitions for the UK in the future. Which could actually is a good thing. Escape the two party system.
                    "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Can anyone enlighten me as to why Labour haven't acted as the opposition and simply declared themselves pro-Europe/Remain. I imagine it's because the remain vote is generally more likely to vote Lib-Dem in a GE. Also, Corbyn's ideology?

Comment

Originally posted by KerryRed View Post

If there was a “no deal”, and Johnson one of the main faces of the Leave campaign engineered it as there PM. And if it is as bad for there economy as the experts/professionals in there fields say it will be. Causing a needless recession. There will be no hiding from it, Brexit, isn’t going away. It’s going to rumble on and on for years if not decades to come. Pointing the finger at everyone else, wouldn’t continue to work.

Can’t see them being anything but abilterated in a general election in a “no deal” scenario. No matter how united they are. When the lie of the UKs problems starting and ending with the EU is exposed. And there real underlying problems are made worse. Can’t see them recovering anytime soon. There supposed to be “the business party”, all about the economy after all. That will be no more. Just another populist right wing shell, full of hate & bitterness, vying on peoples fears. No different to the Republican Party in the States. Maybe if they have a general election beforehand, they’d stand some chance, but not after.

Could be very much a multi party system, full of rainbow coalitions for the UK in the future. Which could actually is a good thing. Escape the two party system.
                        The governor of the Bank of England (for example) is not saying there will be a recession with a no deal, nor are many Remainers, but that growth will be slower.

In that scenario the Tories will probably be re-elected.

Comment

Originally posted by lilleexile View Post
                          Can anyone enlighten me as to why Labour haven't acted as the opposition and simply declared themselves pro-Europe/Remain. I imagine it's because the remain vote is generally more likely to vote Lib-Dem in a GE. Also, Corbyn's ideology?
                          A good bunch of Northern / Midland seats will be lost by them as Brexit supporters abandon the Labour Party if they go for Remain Probably less than 40....but not sure the numbers.

Corbyn also in favour of Brexit ideologically - as he sees the EU as a sort of capitalist cabal.

Comment

The governor of the Bank of England (for example) is not saying there will be a recession with a no deal, nor are many Remainers, but that growth will be slower.

In that scenario the Tories will probably be re-elected.

I think you might be underestimating the contempt with which traditional Tories hold Doris and the amazing technicolor Ergs. Parliament will block a no deal exit. Nobody wants it others than a minority of mouth foamers. The belief that a new leader will enable this is just one of a number of disastrous delusions the Brexiteers hold. See, the backstop means customs union for the foreseeable future. Any attempted 'no deal' will will be blocked. The ERGs are heading up sh*t creek and won't be back before LImerick FC win the European Champion's Cup.

Michael Heseltine:

“I cannot, with a clear conscience, vote for my party when it is myopically focused on forcing through the biggest act of economic self-harm ever undertaken by a democratic government.”

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post

I think you might be underestimating the contempt with which traditional Tories hold Doris and the amazing technicolor Ergs. Parliament will block a no deal exit. Nobody wants it others than a minority of mouth foamers. The belief that a new leader will enable this is just one of a number of disastrous delusions the Brexiteers hold. See, the backstop means customs union for the foreseeable future. Any attempted 'no deal' will will be blocked. The ERGs are heading up sh*t creek and won't be back before LImerick FC win the European Champion's Cup.

Michael Heseltine:

“I cannot, with a clear conscience, vote for my party when it is myopically focused on forcing through the biggest act of economic self-harm ever undertaken by a democratic government.”
                              I think you are mistaken....

In order for the UK to get another extension they have to ask and be given one - as things stand that will require a Deal and there is no sign of a majority for anything, deal, revoke, 2nd referendum in parliament.

With a Brexit PM (Boris or other) they won't be asking or getting.

Therefore the default and current position is leaving on the 31st October without deal.

Not good... but likely.

Comment

There will be no 'no deal' Brexit PM. If there is an election - there will be no Tory gov, If no election a parliamentary revolt will block a no deal scenario, whatever device they pull out to block that. There is a big parliamentary majority against no deal and the EU doesn't want it either. They will find a way to block it.
                                Last edited by tippete7trees; 19th-May-2019, 14:56.

Comment

Working...
                                X