No announcement yet.

Brexit referendum and negotiations 2016-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know PP but I suspect they would. Of course this would necessitate another round of euro elections for their relinquished seats if. & when they finally do leave.

As an aside, I y really wonder why there needs to be extra MEP seats spread around the other countries at all. I mean a big contributing member is leaving, surely the parliament should just shrink by the Uk's current number of MEPs making it a little less unwieldy, less costly and sending an example to all other EU institutions that y they need to slim down a bit???
    ​​

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

I have a tricky query myself ; assuming the UK extends article 50, do they continue paying into EU budgets at current (& increasing) levels until they finally do leave?!
      When they then pay the ' divorce ' settlement.

I assume they would have to, and I hope this is the case and that this is explained clearly to the U k voting public as well as its politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
        So, here is a tricky question, if the UK parliament passes May’s Deal subject to another referendum, with her Deal or Remain on the ballot, would the UK be involved in the Euro elections given they would, in all likelihood, take place before a referendum could be organised?
        Yes, they do. Until the day they leave they are full members of the European Union, and therefore would have to participate in the European Elections.
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
          I don't know PP but I suspect they would. Of course this would necessitate another round of euro elections for their relinquished seats if. & when they finally do leave.

As an aside, I y really wonder why there needs to be extra MEP seats spread around the other countries at all. I mean a big contributing member is leaving, surely the parliament should just shrink by the Uk's current number of MEPs making it a little less unwieldy, less costly and sending an example to all other EU institutions that y they need to slim down a bit???
          ​​
          750 seats for the entirety of the EU is unwieldy? You'd get in a right tizzy if you checked out the Commons or the Bundestag.
          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

So apparently Labour had agreed that Corbyn's letter to May would include a final line saying "“if you do not accept this [Labour offer] there will be a People’s Vote”. However when the letter was send, they "forgot" to include this line.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1094912356864409605

In the last few days we've had Watson and McDonnell put a PV firmly on the table, but Corbyn still hasn't budged.

Bizarre stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
              So apparently Labour had agreed that Corbyn's letter to May would include a final line saying "“if you do not accept this [Labour offer] there will be a People’s Vote”. However when the letter was send, they "forgot" to include this line.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1094912356864409605

In the last few days we've had Watson and McDonnell put a PV firmly on the table, but Corbyn still hasn't budged.

Bizarre stuff.
              What it could be, and just hear me out now, is that most of them are Wallabluffers and Pinko gob****es

​​​​​​It's very easy to continue to apportion common sense and long term objectivity on Westminster because that's what went before. To my eye all recent evidence shows it's a room filled with animals throwing their faeces at each other's tribe and sometimes their own tribe.

I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

What it could be, and just hear me out now, is that most of them are Wallabluffers and Pinko gob****es

​​​​​​It's very easy to continue to apportion common sense and long term objectivity on Westminster because that's what went before. To my eye all recent evidence shows it's a room filled with animals throwing their faeces at each other's tribe and sometimes their own tribe.
                Every time I think "there is no realistic chance of a no deal Brexit", I read something like this, and go and buy some more toilet roll.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...0910c63f30fc8?
                Last edited by fitzy73; 12th-February-2019, 18:47.

Comment

Labour has to come out for a 2nd referendum now, surely. May is taking this right to the brink.

Comment

Every time I think "there is no realistic chance of a no deal Brexit", I read something like this, and go and buy some more toilet roll.

You have bought so much toilet paper at this stage that you better start investing in tinned beans to help you use it.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                      Labour has to come out for a 2nd referendum now, surely. May is taking this right to the brink.
                      Why would they? England leaves the EU with a no-deal Brexit. Economy implodes. No way back into the EU. Tories get blamed. Labour get into power and without the shackles of the EU they can start nationalising again....the problem is that Sterling will tank...in the short term that may help with tariffs, but no one will lend the UK money, the capacity for printing money is reasonably exhausted, there will be no money to pay public sector workers, trust in the UK as an International partner will have been eroded, mobile FS and manufacturing will be running to the exit door.....But, the trains will no longer be crowded...

Comment

Then read this
                        https://www.itv.com/news/2019-02-12/exclusive-uk-chief-brexit-negotiator-olly-robbins-warns-mps-the-choice-is-mays-deal-or-extension/
                        Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e_iOSApp_Other

Comment

Why would the EU approve extending the talks? I don't see the advantage for this and also not seeing them approving this.

Also am I right that all EU countries need to approve an extension otherwise it's not offered? How much time before the deadline does UK need to request such an extension? (As none of the decisions in the RU are taken quickly).

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post

Why would the EU approve extending the talks? I don't see the advantage for this and also not seeing them approving this.
                              it might be a bit like :
                              'growing old - not that desirable but infinitely better than the alternative '??

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

it might be a bit like :
                                'growing old - not that desirable but infinitely better than the alternative '??
                                I think most in EU want to get over it. This Brexit also cost the EU a lot of money. Extending the discussion will only cost more money. There is also the uncertainty that is influencing the Euro. When everything is done and dusted the Euro might also go up versus the dollar.

Comment

Working...
                                X