Brexit referendum and negotiations 2016-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's Uncle Monty???

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

He was the lad who preferred carrots to geraniums!
      Actually, the bit preceding the quote referenced by PP above is worth reproducing - I think it captures something of the soul of Britain right now.

"The older order changeth, yielding place to new. God fulfills himself in many ways. And soon, I suppose, I shall be swept away by some vulgar little tumour. Oh, my boys, my boys, we're at the end of an age. We live in a land of weather forecasts and breakfasts that set in. Shat on by Tories, shovelled up by Labour. And here we are, we three, perhaps the last island of beauty in the world."
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

From Withnail and I
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post

I agree - and the EU thinks it's over. Brexit means Brexit.

I think another referendum would be too divisive and bitter, and not what the country needs. If some version of May's deal can be pushed through, both Parliament and the EU will heave a sigh of relief, as long as it's done quickly, within 3-6 months. Tusk sounded genuinely sorry yesterday that Britain wasn't going to reverse course.

Of course, it's an awful deal, worse than membership, but it's the least worst option now.

I actually had a vote in the referendum and was up early to vote in a Morrisons car park. (Remain, by the way). I think having the UK out of the EU is bad for both. Economically it's going to be very difficult for the UK, and the EU loses too. And the UK is badly needed inside the EU as a natural counterweight to France & Germany.

I'm in the UK most weeks and whenever I speak to English work colleagues, I get no sense that they view things as pessimistically as we do. "If we leave, we leave. So be it" seems to be the most common response. You'd never get such a passive view in Ireland if we were in the same situation.

I'm kind of looking forward to the end of this. (Or is there an end?????)

May’s Deal is an abomination, and shouldn’t be passed out of fatigue or boredom.

the majority of people in the UK wish to remain, and anything short of that at this point is a victory for an ever shrinking group of right wing wreckers who defrauded a public vote.

Anyway, McDonnell came out and repeated Pennycook’s line today.

I think contrary to much of the commentary that the Corbyn letter was an elephant trap. I don’t think the Tories will wall into it.

Which means Labour will declare for a second vote imminently.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Any deal that splits the Tory party is to be commended.

You'd expect that with the likes of Murray and Milne whispering into Corbyn's ears that such a calculation was at least as high in their agenda as the future relationship between the UK and EU.
            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

There's a new cunning plan. A MPs vote on May's deal and if passed to include a people's vote on whether to accept that or Remain. Any referendum that avoids looking like telling the people to vote again and vote the right way this time ffs!............will be a certain Remain result. News today that 250 firms looking to move to Holland if the UK leaves. Don't remember that being on the bus.The ERG is a byword for swivel-eyed mouth foaming.
              Last edited by tippete7trees; 9th-February-2019, 20:43.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FC0AF07F-A75C-4367-B629-71DA5C049AF5.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	2558964
                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Comment

Jesus Christ WL.
                  Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Sorry....

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
                      There's a new cunning plan. A MPs vote on May's deal and if passed to include a people's vote on whether to accept that or Remain. Any referendum that avoids looking like telling the people to vote again and vote the right way this time ffs!............will be a certain Remain result. News today that 250 firms looking to move to Holland if the UK leaves. Don't remember that being on the bus.The ERG is a byword for swivel-eyed mouth foaming.
                      I saw that.

Any amendment that doesn't include a No Deal option is going to upset ERG types, but this is quite a clever amendment I think - will unify Govt supporters and Remainers.

Only obstacle I can see is that I genuinely think that May will oppose it, as she knows the only hope for her deal is a ticking clock and the threat of no deal.
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Right we know the March deadline is a pseudo deadline at this stage - A50 will be extended no matter what.

The new European parliament sits on the 2nd ofJuly, which means the actual "oh sh*t" deadline is the 1st of July.

I'm still banking on a WA, followed by a GE in June. This gives the new govt at least some mandate going into the talks on a future trading agreement.

For all the talk of Labour pivoting towards a PV, I don't think there is time for one, it would split the country in half (again), Europe is sick of the Brits and most importantly I just think Corbyn is ideologically against staying in the EU.

Time will tell.

​​​

​​​​​​
                        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                          Right we know the March deadline is a pseudo deadline at this stage - A50 will be extended no matter what.

The new European parliament sits on the 2nd ofJuly, which means the actual "oh sh*t" deadline is the 1st of July.

I'm still banking on a WA, followed by a GE in June. This gives the new govt at least some mandate going into the talks on a future trading agreement.

For all the talk of Labour pivoting towards a PV, I don't think there is time for one, it would split the country in half (again), Europe is sick of the Brits and most importantly I just think Corbyn is ideologically against staying in the EU.

Time will tell.

​​

​​​​​​
                          Wondering whether JC is just doing enough to say he tried to change the course of Brexit...

Comment

It's still embedded in the genes of a certain swathe of the British (English) that the sun never set on their empire, they beat the filthy Boche twice and scattered the greasy French and Spanish only half trying. The world has changed and they're just making eejits of themselves now.

Comment

Japan is apparently not willing to do any new trade talks with UK.

This shows that the UK is not a trustworthy (Nissan) country to do business

The UK has screwed itself ...

https://twitter.com/thatginamiller/s...94039061127168

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

So, here is a tricky question, if the UK parliament passes May’s Deal subject to another referendum, with her Deal or Remain on the ballot, would the UK be involved in the Euro elections given they would, in all likelihood, take place before a referendum could be organised?

Comment

Working...
                                X