Brexit referendum and negotiations 2016-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
    Tusks comments may actually help to deflect some attention away from the madness of the Brexiteers and lead to attacks on the EU - but on balance his comments should help remind British MPs (of all parties) of the seriousness of the situation and the need to sort it out - rather than squabbling between themselves.

Gwan Donald.
    The name Donald seem to lend itself to off the wall statements.....Trump, Tusk and Mary Lou........to name but a few.
    Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
      Tusks comments may actually help to deflect some attention away from the madness of the Brexiteers and lead to attacks on the EU - but on balance his comments should help remind British MPs (of all parties) of the seriousness of the situation and the need to sort it out - rather than squabbling between themselves.

Gwan Donald.
      Certainly the tone of Tusks comments should make British politicians pay attention. They are losing all goodwill with the leaders of the EU.. Not Good!!
      Last edited by Daithi; 7th-February-2019, 22:03.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post

Missing from the 'six tests' is the fair settlement on migration.
        The biggest omision is any reference to a Peoples Vote. Looks like that option has now firmly been taken off the table.

I'm pretty sure now that a form of words will hammered out that suits rump Tories, Labour and the EU.
        For bureaucratic treasons A50 will still have to be extended by a few months though.
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

Certainly the tone of Tusks comments should make Brush politicians pay attention. They are losing all goodwill with the leaders of the EU. Not Good!!
          not a chance. they are too arrogant for that sort of reasoning. it's why they are leaving in the first place and they will see his comments as justifying their decision.
          He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

Missing is any reference, at all to migration...
            Both Tories and Labour are agreed on an end to freedom of movement (as leaving the Single market) opening a route through the North for EU Nationals to enter GB without registering.

You have to wonder how long post Brexit that would be allowed to continue.

​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
            AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

Certainly the tone of Tusks comments should make Brush politicians pay attention. They are losing all goodwill with the leaders of the EU. Not Good!!
              And the EU has to agree to extend article 50 and will only do so if the British are playing ball with a sensible plan.

It looks like Labour offer which is clearly a response to the criticism here on Munsterfans - although welcome - is pitched with as much of any eye on splitting the Tory party as finding a solution. But better than feck all.
              Last edited by AdolphusGrigson; 7th-February-2019, 10:45.
              ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
              AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Today is May day...
                "To be energetic and self-sufficing is to be happy; but while one desire remains in the heart happiness may not come there. For to desire is to be incomplete: it is the badge of dependence, the signal of unhappiness, and to be freed from that is to be freed from every fetter that can possibly be forged." (James Stephens, Deirdre)

Comment

The big problem with the ERGs position is that when is clear, a few days before a 'no-deal', that the EU is serious they will carry the blame for the a ludicrous negotiating stance.

Comment

Still don’t know if Labour’s position is Labour’s actual position.

They know the Tories can’t get Common Market without splitting their party.

Matthew Pennycook is on Starmer’s team, and a sensible guy (I was briefly on the London Labour Housing Group with him when he was a councillor).

His statement today is an interesting one. He says that this is Labour’s final set of demands to the PM, and that if she doesn’t commit to them Labour will have no option but to push for a second vote.

So it could still break either way. Either Corbyn facilitates a fudge, or he navigates his way to “not us gov, we tried our best, it’s all on the Tories” and comes out for a second vote.

To be a fly on the wall...
                    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

“We Have Standards Here” Satan Distances Himself From Brexiteers

"Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                        Still don’t know if Labour’s position is Labour’s actual position.

They know the Tories can’t get Common Market without splitting their party.

Matthew Pennycook is on Starmer’s team, and a sensible guy (I was briefly on the London Labour Housing Group with him when he was a councillor).

His statement today is an interesting one. He says that this is Labour’s final set of demands to the PM, and that if she doesn’t commit to them Labour will have no option but to push for a second vote.

So it could still break either way. Either Corbyn facilitates a fudge, or he navigates his way to “not us gov, we tried our best, it’s all on the Tories” and comes out for a second vote.

To be a fly on the wall...
                        Would the EU allow a substantial extension to facilitate a second vote? I honestly think they would rather the UK just gets out at this stage. The people’s vote campaign has gone very quiet as well.

Comment

Would the EU allow a substantial extension to facilitate a second vote? I honestly think they would rather the UK just gets out at this stage. The people’s vote campaign has gone very quiet as well.
                          They don’t have the numbers. That might shift if Labour whip that position.

i think the EU would extend for a no deal vs WA vs Remain referendum (which could be done in a couple of months) if it meant the outcome was a signed, sealed, delivered conclusion to the process.
                          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

They don’t have the numbers. That might shift if Labour whip that position.

i think the EU would extend for a no deal vs WA vs Remain referendum (which could be done in a couple of months) if it meant the outcome was a signed, sealed, delivered conclusion to the process.
                            I think the EU would rather the UK leaves, in an orderly fashion, regrets the decision and rejoins the €, Schengen etc down the line. A second referendum will not resolve anything, indeed, I think it will make things worse in the long run.

Comment

I think the EU would rather the UK leaves, in an orderly fashion, regrets the decision and rejoins the €, Schengen etc down the line. A second referendum will not resolve anything, indeed, I think it will make things worse in the long run.
                              I agree - and the EU thinks it's over. Brexit means Brexit.

I think another referendum would be too divisive and bitter, and not what the country needs. If some version of May's deal can be pushed through, both Parliament and the EU will heave a sigh of relief, as long as it's done quickly, within 3-6 months. Tusk sounded genuinely sorry yesterday that Britain wasn't going to reverse course.

Of course, it's an awful deal, worse than membership, but it's the least worst option now.

I actually had a vote in the referendum and was up early to vote in a Morrisons car park. (Remain, by the way). I think having the UK out of the EU is bad for both. Economically it's going to be very difficult for the UK, and the EU loses too. And the UK is badly needed inside the EU as a natural counterweight to France & Germany.

I'm in the UK most weeks and whenever I speak to English work colleagues, I get no sense that they view things as pessimistically as we do. "If we leave, we leave. So be it" seems to be the most common response. You'd never get such a passive view in Ireland if we were in the same situation.

I'm kind of looking forward to the end of this. (Or is there an end?????)
                              "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                              Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

I voted Remain and would, personally, prefer it if we Remain having our cake and eating it in the EU, but the UK really does have to leave the EU to work out whether a true consensus wants to be in the EU, properly, complete with the Euro etc. May’s Deal is rubbish relative to what we have now but, crucially, it comes with control of FOM which, sadly, is what this whole business was always about. Millions of people in the UK have been utterly let down by the political establishment, they don’t believe a word they have to say on anything. Uncle Monty was a true savant:” shat on by Tories, shovelled up by Labour”.

Comment

Working...
                                X