No announcement yet.

Brexit referendum and negotiations 2016-18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labour seven points behind the Tories in the poll in the left wing Observer. Seven points behind a party in near meltdown.

Comment

Not surprising after their failure to back the Cooper amendment. The fence sitting, refusal to properly whip their MPs and pandering to the likes of McCluskey are killing support and angering the membership, justifiably.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Zero leadership shown by Labour. You’d barely know they are there
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Attached Files
          "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

"Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
              If that's the worst that can happen to insidious gambling companies, then they have it easy.
              "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
              Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

The Jeremy Corbyn manual on penalty taking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFlf4_6cCdg

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                  Labour seven points behind the Tories in the poll in the left wing Observer. Seven points behind a party in near meltdown.
                  It needs a heave.

Comment

On the plus side, if Brexit DOES go ahead...........it will very very likely bring some version of a United Ireland in the short to medium term.

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
                      On the plus side, if Brexit DOES go ahead...........it will very very likely bring some version of a United Ireland in the short to medium term.
                      What's plus about that?!?

I mean if that unfortunate development did occur, and that is a big IF, I'd hate to spend the rest of my working life effectively paying my taxes to bring 1.5m subsidised bigots from a failed state back into the developed world.....

No ' United Ireland' for me, thanks all the same, we simply couldn't afford it!!

p.s. Even if 'we' ever wanted it inv the first place !?!
                      Last edited by Daithi; 4th-February-2019, 11:50.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Five Tory MPs have gone away for a brainstorming session to try to imagine some way out of the backstop.

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

Yep, but perhaps will serve as a useful reminder to us all not to believe our own propaganda.
                          A lot of it was very distasteful and going down to the level of the Brexiteers. Surprised the Irish Times accepted that ad. It’s not like they would not fill the page or that paddy power place many ads with them that they could not refuse.

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
                            Plenty of people will not see that as a plus. Aside from economic reasons I don’t fancy Loyalist terrorists blowing up our cities and infrastructure.

Comment

Corbyn simply doesn't have the votes to change anything.

The likes of Hoey and Skinner plus about seven others puts serious intervention well beyond Labour.

I just don't understand why someone who can literally do SFA apart from stand by and watch is getting the rap for a policy that is Tory born, bred and executed.

Of course I understand why the right wing press want the focus on Labour, i just don't get why sentient humans go along with that.
                              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

Plenty of people will not see that as a plus. Aside from economic reasons I don’t fancy Loyalist terrorists blowing up our cities and infrastructure.
                                No more than the likes of Chris Grayling saying a people's vote is a bad idea because it would encourage violence from the far right, the notion that a democratically chosen path should be avoided because of a few hundred nutcases is pretty poor thinking. Nowhere is perfect but between Belfast and Dublin, I know which city I'd feel safer living in these days and it isn't the one with the floozy in the jacuzzi. At least here you can go to the gym in the morning and not be shot ...

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

What's plus about that?!?

I mean if that unfortunate development did occur, and that is a big IF, I'd hate to spend the rest of my working life effectively paying my taxes to bring 1.5m subsidised bigots from a failed state back into the developed world.....

No ' United Ireland' for me, thanks all the same, we simply couldn't afford it!!

p.s. Even if 'we' ever wanted it inv the first place !?!
                                Daithi, I take issue with your characterisation of everyone in NI as 1.5m subsidised bigots. The vast majority of people here just want to get on with their lives and are no more bigoted than you (possibly less so, on the basis of what you just wrote). As for "subsidised", this is a result of decades of Westminster-led underinvestment here, not helped by three decades of conflict. Moreover, the figures for "subsidy" include the per-head contribution to things like to the British armed forces and vast follies like Trident, to HS2 which is of no benefit to NI whatsoever, even to the upkeep of the royal family! There would be huge economic gains to be had from a single-island economy driven by proper investment with structural support from our friends in the EU - especially in the aftermath of any form of Brexit. Being part of an open economy, based on serious FDI as already happens in the 26 counties, would be transformative for NI as well as the border counties and of net benefit to any future all-island state with a completely undivided internal market.
                                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Working...
                                X