Brexit referendum and negotiations 2016-18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post

She will try to postpone the deadline. I really hope EU countries won't accept this. For the EU there's not reason to do this as it will only result in a new deal which less favors them. After decline of the postponement May will play the victim that the EU is unreasonable, to safe her #ss.
    If, by some miracle, she gets her Deal signed off I think she will resign as soon as it has gone through. If there is a second referendum I think she will resign. If there is No Deal I am not sure there will be anything left from which to resign!?!?

Comment

The party leaders have made conflicting demands for the negotiation. May has ruled out a customs union. Corbyn has said he won't engage in negotiations until No Deal is ruled out. Doesn't seem like there will be a serious attempt to find compromise. These two couldn't even agree to a tv debate format together. Looks to me like posturing before an election rather than negotiation. The Tories may be trying to get Corbyn to commit to a people's vote before they call it.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
        The party leaders have made conflicting demands for the negotiation. May has ruled out a customs union. Corbyn has said he won't engage in negotiations until No Deal is ruled out. Doesn't seem like there will be a serious attempt to find compromise. These two couldn't even agree to a tv debate format together. Looks to me like posturing before an election rather than negotiation. The Tories may be trying to get Corbyn to commit to a people's vote before they call it.
        With her Deal versus Remain the choice unless the ERG and DUP back her in the commons. If it wasn’t so critical it would be fascinating rather than feeling a bit like rubber necking a car crash. EDIT maybe the final piece of the jigsaw will be a commitment to resign once the WA is done leaving No 10 free for a hardliner to “ negotiate” the next stage?
        Last edited by the plastic paddy; 17th-January-2019, 09:35.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

With her Deal versus Remain the choice unless the ERG and DUP back her in the commons. If it wasn’t so critical it would be fascinating rather than feeling a bit like rubber necking a car crash. EDIT maybe the final piece of the jigsaw will be a commitment to resign once the WA is done leaving No 10 free for a hardliner to “ negotiate” the next stage?
          May's deal, in its current form, has been defeated by 230 votes, so it can't really be put to the people.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/global/v...ld-a-lie-video

Macron nails it, plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post

May's deal, in its current form, has been defeated by 230 votes, so it can't really be put to the people.
              Why not? If parliament votes to put a second referendum to the people, her Deal or Remain, that is what parliament votes for. Parliament has got to vote for something or on 30th March that is it, No Deal chaos.

Comment

There seems to be a gradual swing towards Remain according to polls. Though the aren’t 100% reliable as shown with Brexit & the US election. It’s most probably because leavers are generally an older generation, and while remainers are generally young, rather then people changing there minds. Looks like the trend will continue to go towards remain as time goes on.

POLL - Support for Remain highest since referendum with big 12-pt gap

Remain - 56%

Leave - 44%

Source: YouGov poll taken after Tuesday's defeat for May's deal. Commissioned by People's Vote but conducted independently
                "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

There also seems to be another group who are saying, I voted remain but just want it over with now.
                  Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Naomi Smith, who is the COO of the Remain group Best for Britain, has confirmed what I suspected - there currently is not enough support in the HoC for a People's Vote.

There hasn't been a peep out of JC in support of a PV - again I unless he is forced to I cannot see any circumstances in which he will support it.

Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                      Naomi Smith, who is the COO of the Remain group Best for Britain, has confirmed what I suspected - there currently is not enough support in the HoC for a People's Vote.

There hasn't been a peep out of JC in support of a PV - again I unless he is forced to I cannot see any circumstances in which he will support it.
                      Couple of reflections - no leadership from JC just fudge. Which shows why his/Labour’s polling figures are miserably low given what they are facing on the other side.

May’s negotiated the best possible WA deal which provided an orderly exit with measured diversion over time. JC’s solution - paying for access to the SM and CU without decision making or the possibility to make any trade deals would be a non runner for many. And the hard Brexit option is built on a bed of lies and no Givernment should even contemplate that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post

She will try to postpone the deadline. I really hope EU countries won't accept this. For the EU there's not reason to do this as it will only result in a new deal which less favors them. After decline of the postponement May will play the victim that the EU is unreasonable, to safe her #ss.
                        Well whatever happens the most important thing is for it not to be May or the tories fault
                        it will always be someone else’s fault

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor View Post
                          There also seems to be another group who are saying, I voted remain but just want it over with now.
                          BOB - bored of brexit
                          it got tedious fast
                          and just kept on getting more tedious
                          groundhog day - without the minor laughs

Comment

https://www.nme.com/news/music/andy-...apsody-2432150

“Open your eyes, notice the lies”: Watch Andy Serkis return as Theresa May-Gollum for Brexit-themed ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’
                            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

Couple of reflections - no leadership from JC just fudge. Which shows why his/Labour’s polling figures are miserably low given what they are facing on the other side.

May’s negotiated the best possible WA deal which provided an orderly exit with measured diversion over time. JC’s solution - paying for access to the SM and CU without decision making or the possibility to make any trade deals would be a non runner for many. And the hard Brexit option is built on a bed of lies and no Givernment should even contemplate that.
                              The last poll this week showed Labour on 39% and Tories on 37%. If you take an average over the last six months they are looking at about 36%. That's historically pretty good for them (they won the 2005 GE polling 35.2%).

That being said it's the indecision from JC that's driving me nuts. Pick a goddamn policy for Brexit (soft, no deal, Norway, PV) and champion the bloody thing. The clock is running down at an alarming rate and there isn't a second to lose.
                              Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post

The last poll this week showed Labour on 39% and Tories on 37%. If you take an average over the last six months they are looking at about 36%. That's historically pretty good for them (they won the 2005 GE polling 35.2%).

That being said it's the indecision from JC that's driving me nuts. Pick a goddamn policy for Brexit (soft, no deal, Norway, PV) and champion the bloody thing. The clock is running down at an alarming rate and there isn't a second to lose.
                                Mea Culpa as I had not seen polls that they were ahead. It is the lack of leadership and championing of a policy (they go hand in hand) that is frustrating. It seems to be calculated indecision and Brexit of some sort seems to be his instinct.

Comment

Working...
                                X