No announcement yet.

Brexit referendum and negotiations 2016-18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is pure speculation really but I've a weird feeling that this is going to come back to staying in the EU.

look at all the basic indicators, the Pm never wanted to leave, Labour didn't either but they feel their electorate did, the EU don't want the UK to leave and most importantly the electorate seem to be realising they actually don't want to leave either.

Yes Germany are the strongest in the EU, but with your own currency and the benefits of membership you're getting the best deal.

I actually think they're gonna stay.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

David Lammy knocked it out of the park in the early hours of this morning.

The audacious idea of European integration was motivated by fear, but it was made possible by shared ideals: democracy, human rights, quality, freedom, and a refusal to submit to the tyranny of fascism ever again
      What does it say about the UK when the UN sends rapporteur to warn us of increased racism in our country, when our politicians play to fear of racists, when Nigel Farage stood in front of a Nazi inspired poster of refugees
      We grew as a nation because of free movement. European migrants are not citizens of nowhere or queue-jumpers as the PM would have us believe. EU citizens have given us so much. They have done the jobs our own would not do. The contribution of European migrants has not been just financial: Our culture, our art, our music , our food have been permanently improved.
      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Remain back to a 10 point lead with Yougov this morning.

I think the extent to which the Govt is bleeding credibility is having an impact on the whole perception of the Brexit project.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

I'm not sure about that - but I will bet my hat that the Irish in Britain are appalled by the attitude of the Labour Party which paints itself as friend of Ireland and is cosying up in bed with the DUP.
          Is this the new "Mark Carney from the Bank of England said something that didn't come true!"? I suppose you need a drum to bang regularly if you're committed to the role of Full Time Internet Contrarian.
          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Lammys speech is on Facebook. It's worth a look.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/DavidLamm...7153807976653/
            Last edited by fitzy73; 5th-December-2018, 12:51.
            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post

Is this the new "Mark Carney from the Bank of England said something that didn't come true!"? I suppose you need a drum to bang regularly if you're committed to the role of Full Time Internet Contrarian.
              Embrace the ignore button.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I'm not sure where you got the idea that the position of the Labour Party on the backstop was anything but deeply unpopular in Ireland - unlikely to be different with the Irish in Britain (except with diehards).

Not sure what's 'contrarian' in highlighting a widely held view.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/brexi...-deal-1493865/

​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

New polling on #Brexit. British adults...

Oppose May's deal by 42-26

Oppose No Deal by 41-34

Oppose remaining in EU by 45-44

Oppose 2nd referendum by 50-40

Oppose extending date when UK leaves EU by 46-34

Support renegotiating with EU if May deal fails by 45-25

ComRes Dec 4

Even the polls have gone bonkers...

Comment

To be fair, Corbyn’s position of opposition to the WA because it creates regulatory divergence between NI and the UK is completely preposterous.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                      New polling on #Brexit. British adults...

Oppose May's deal by 42-26

Oppose No Deal by 41-34

Oppose remaining in EU by 45-44

Oppose 2nd referendum by 50-40

Oppose extending date when UK leaves EU by 46-34

Support renegotiating with EU if May deal fails by 45-25

ComRes Dec 4

Even the polls have gone bonkers...

At least in part because Pollers are asking odd questions.

What do the 45% of the people who favour renegotiating want if they don't like the current arrangements, don't like No Deal and don't want to Remain? Given they interviewed just over 2,000 people, those sets can't be mutually exclusive.

32% undecided on May's deal? Seems a very big figure.

The straight in out one looks odd too. 7% drop from the ref for leaving, 4% drop for staying, presumably all drifting to Not Sures?

It's a fair mess all right.

Comment

To be fair, Corbyn’s position of opposition to the WA because it creates regulatory divergence between NI and the UK is completely preposterous.
                        Especially given his background of supporting the 'resistance' in NI and his continuing claim to be in favour of a UI.

Comment

In relation to our Brexit bet I now think for the first time (as you originally suggested) that Brexit aint gonna happen - given Grieve's amendment yesterday.

Comment

It was brought forward as an example of Theresa May's failures to adhere to her own red lines. He quoted her but did not give his own opinion. Probably best not to venture his own opinion on it. Bit of a radioactive potato, that one.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post

It was brought forward as an example of Theresa May's failures to adhere to her own red lines. He quoted her but did not give his own opinion. Probably best not to venture his own opinion on it. Bit of a radioactive potato, that one.
                              Labour spokesman talking about staying in the single market while controlling FOM is another preposterous position. Surely Corbyn has got to come out in favour of a second referendum.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post

That is simply wrong. He has directly criticised the backstop.

Comment

Working...
                                X