No announcement yet.

Brexit referendum and negotiations 2016-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the good news is they are allowing me to stay without applying for settled status. Though I can, if I want.

I wonder how many people in Norn Iron will apply for settled status?
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
      Well the good news is they are allowing me to stay without applying for settled status. Though I can, if I want.

I wonder how many people in Norn Iron will apply for settled status?

Does this mean the travellers who move between Ireland and England frequently will have to apply for settled status?

Comment

Govt ministers now criticising companies for commenting on the situation. Hunt saying it's "inappropriate" for the CEO of BAE to comment on the likely strategy of BAE and he should be supporting the govt in negotiation. These people are ****ing mental.

Beyond that, it's the very people who promised an easy deal based on the needs of German car manufacturers who are now actively lobbying for a no deal Brexit.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...lan-says-spain

So much common sense and honesty in one short interview. This Spanish government will never last unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
            https://www.theguardian.com/politics...lan-says-spain

So much common sense and honesty in one short interview. This Spanish government will never last unfortunately.
            This is a cake and eat it scenario which has already been ruled out by the EU.

Surprisingly the BOE has tried to shift the blame for delay in financial negotiations to the EU. After Carney's previous prediction of a recession post Brexit vote (and then his attempt to claim credit when it didn't happen) - everything coming out of the BOE is highly suspect.

https://news.sky.com/story/bank-of-e...rexit-11418409
            ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
            AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

The prime minister is expected to publish a white paper on the UK’s vision of the future relationship, including a proposal for regulatory alignment on goods, for the benefit of UK industry and European-wide supply chains, shortly after a meeting of the cabinet at Chequers, the prime minister’s country retreat, on 6 July.
              Even at this late stage, the British media do not understand the withdrawal process. This is not a negotiation. Anyone who has a reading age of 8 can read the text of Article 218 (3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.

The British can put whatever they want on the table, and the EU can simply says "think again" or "not a chance". It will be framed as the EU being unreasonable and the rhetoric will heighten from there, but Joe Public simply do not understand the withdrawal process.

The EU - rightly imho - hold all the cards in this deck.

Comment

Interesting few days ahead. The can has reached the end of the road.

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2018...lf-for-the-cry

https://www.politico.eu/article/lond...wal-agreement/

Comment

The can reaches the end of the road in October - May has deliberately not published her 'magic' solution until after the EU summit - there will now be a period of discussion with the Irish government. Leo will probably say her magic plan is not good enough and when it is released/agreed with her cabinet it might mean a minister or 2 will resign - but she will only start to negotiate properly with Leo over the summer.

Nothing to see here until September.

Comment

A full on bun fight in the next few days. Should be interesting.

https://t.co/pmufYtQLYd
                    Andrew Neil, Twitter.

The May line is becoming clearer by the hour:
                    There is no majority in Parliament for no deal.
                    My deal is only one with a chance in Brussels.
                    If you reject it, Parliament will vote for EEA status, the EU will accept — and Brexit will be in indefinite limbo.

Comment

Is there a majority for May in the Tory party?
                      Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                        Is there a majority for May in the Tory party?
                        Who knows. I'm pretty sure there isn't a majority for a no deal Brexit. Davis already kicking off about the new proposal, Rees Mogg as well, and Boris is being Boris ie a bellend.

All hell could break loose in the next few days.

Comment

Carney 'we are all doomed' - BOE upgrades British growth -

'Oh wait a minute'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44721670

If markets hate uncertainty - why is the pound not getting hammered?
                          Last edited by AdolphusGrigson; 5th-July-2018, 13:15.

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                            Carney 'we are all doomed' - BOE upgrades British growth -

'Oh wait a minute'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44721670

If markets hate uncertainty - why is the pound not getting hammered?
                            what constitutes a hammering ?

Stg on 2nd Jan 2016 (interbank) ~ 6 months before referendum up to today( -16.5% )

Open: 1 GBP = 1.3571 EUR (31st Jan 2016)
                            Open: 1 GBP = 1.1316 EUR (today)

Euro vs Dollar ~ same period (+6.5% gain)

Open: 1 EUR = 1.0941 USD (1st Jan 2016)
                            Spot: 1 EUR = 1.1700 USD (today)

Stg vs Dollar same interval approx ( ~ -10%)

Open: 1 GBP = 1.4742 USD
                            Spot: 1 GBP = 1.3229 USD
                            "I've got lots of potatos that need peeling and manure that needs shovelling" -M. Burns

Comment

A big fall post referendum was expected - which happened. Then 2 years later and no deal in sight at least the same again - given that Carney had predicted a recession immediately after the referendum. This hasn't happened and the UK is still the largest recipient of FDI - although the actual amount has dropped dramatically - the UK has an enormous lead in that area.

A no deal/general election is quite a strong possiblity - that is serious uncertainty and yet somehow the Pound is 'holding up' post the referendum 'shock'.

Comment

It's not going to happen until it happens.

When there's 2days minimum wait at the ports and airports to leave the country, then people might realise splendid isolation ain't so splendid

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
                                Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Working...
                                X